1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with remote extender

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by Sammy Jankis, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Sammy Jankis

Sammy Jankis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I have moved all my AV kit into a cupboard (my 10 month old daughter will soon be able to stick toast in the video and pour her drink in the amp) and I need a to work out the best remote extender solution. The kit includes a telewest cable box as well as an amp, video and DVD player. I know the cable box has a different set of ir protocols so my question is how do I control the kit through a cupboard door?
    Do I buy a Power Mid and a Red Eye? Or a Digi Eye? Or a Xantech? I have a Pronto (940) so I can programme that if I have to.

Thanks for any help.

Sammy

2. embees

embees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    watching this thread with interest, i have the same problem but with the added issues of rf video/sound distribution to two other rooms and rf wireless network..

im thinking so far, digi eye, plus wired solution, dont want to add more rf, although cheaper..

3. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I've got a similar setup to you guys... I've got a Pace Di4000-N (NTL) cable box with a Red-Eye and all my other kit in a cabinet in the living room... I've installed a hard wired Xantech repeater in this room with the reciever mounted behind a speaker grille cloth panel...

I've also got a Philips VL1200 wireless video sender hooked up to the VCR SCART output on the NTL box (composite), with the reciever on a 14" portable in the bedroom... The sender relays the IR from my RU940 downstairs to control the cable box via the Red-Eye...

I've also installed a few X-10 modules/switches and an X-10 - IR receiver in the cabinet downstairs which is controlable via the sender from the bedroom...

I've got a wireless gateway/router connected to the NTL box which gives reasonable coverage around the house and garden... I did initially have problems with interference between the sender and the router but I solved this by setting the sender to channel 1 and the router to 11 and moving them as far apart as possible (about 2m)...

That's it, all works very well...

4. embees

embees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im strugling to understand exactly what i need in terms of the hard wired solution, keene have one, letsautomate too (xantech more expensive), i have the added issue of a plasma which i think causes issues with ir

5. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I wouldn't worry too much about the plasma unless the receiver is right in front of the screen, so try the cheap(er) option first...

I've got the following Xantech equipment...

490-00 MICRO LINK
    790-00 MULTIPLE EMITTER CONNECTING BLOCK
    283M BLINK-IR MOUSE EMITTER