Help with Relcock please.

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Trojan, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Trojan

Trojan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,502
    Hi
    I am sending a 1280x720 signal at 50 hrtz to my Sony HS50 using powerstrip. I am using reclock so I can get nice smooth pans when playing Pal dvds. I have managed to tweak my video card to 50.001 hz which is as close as I can get it and this seems to work fine with no stuttering. My problem is on the audio that I am getting on average 1 repeat frame per minute of movie and I am trying to find out if this is ok. I have a Terratce sound card and send the signal to my amp using spdif. I have tweaked the latency on my sound card through powerstrip but the best I can get is as described above. I am getting no dropped frames at all and the repeat frames are happening one at a time and not in blocks. I am using TheaterTek as my software player. Is this ok? and if not any advice that would help me out would be great.

Thank you

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    What adjustment does Reclock say it's making to the system clock? My experience is that dropped/repeated frames indicate excessive adjustment, meaning your graphics card isn't generating an accurate-enough refresh. When Reclock displays the refresh it's setting that doesn't mean the graphics card is working optimally if it's requiring a large clock adjustment to achieve.

On my system I got Reclock down to a 4Hz adjustment, which resulted in no frame problems over an extended period.

3. Trojan

Trojan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,502
    Hi
    Thank you for your reply. I have had a look at the system clock correction and you are right about it having to make a large adjustment. It is making a correction of around +22hz. I am not having much joy with reclock even after reading the help file as I cannot seem to get my head around it. I would be grateful if you could tell me how to adjust my card which is an Ati card so I can cut down on the repeat frames as I thought by getting a 50hz refresh rate through powerstrip was all I had to do :suicide: . Any help would be great.
    Thank you

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    In theory you're right, setting 50.000 SHOULD be all you need to do, the trouble is the clock on the graphics card isn't accurate enough and can drift slightly.

You need to use Powerstrip to set the clock so that no matter what it thinks the refresh rate is Reclock sees it as correct.

You're already using PStrip to set your 1280x720, what you need to do is fine-tune the horizontal refresh rate. Right now it's probably set to 50.000, you need to raise or lower it by a few .01s depending on whether Reclock is making +ve or -ve adjustments to the system clock.

It's a simple iterative process, adjust the refresh in Powerstrip, re-run Reclock and see the effect on the clock adjustment, go back to Powerstrip and tweak again. Repeat until you're getting minimum clock adjustment in Reclock, at which time you should see the dropped/repeat audio frames disappear.

5. Trojan

Trojan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,502
    Great, Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    In my own case I was getting audio frames repeated in groups of 2 or 3 once or more a minute and were really noticeable. Reclock was having to apply over 2.5k adjustment to the system clock, in the end I found setting a rate of 50.061 in Powerstrip brought the adjustment down to 4hz and no frames were repeated at all .. your card will be different so these numbers are simply to illustrate the problem.