1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with REL Storm III purchase

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by SoloScott, Jan 31, 2003.

1. SoloScott

SoloScott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just found a great deal on a REL Storm III sub (half price, new) and I'm seriously considering buying. When speaking to several people at high end audio stores, many recommend the REL because of its ability to integrate with the rest of the system well. I have B&W Nautilus 803 main speakers and I value sound quality over quantity. This does not mean, however, that I want a sub that never shows its face. I listen to 60/40 music/movies and I want a sub that will do movies justice too. I am in a small room now, but I am moving very shortly.

Can others comment on the Storm III's ability to play cleanly down to 20 Hz? I know it probably can't compete with even cheaper subs having drivers of 1.5 times the diameter, but what subs in its price range can play to 20 Hz and also be truely musical? I'm concerned that the REL will be a little too composed.

Thanks for the input.

2. gimli

gimli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a REL Storm fan and think that they are excellent subwoofers. A brand new one at half price in UK would be an exceptional find.

Unfortunately US pricing is very different to UK and you also have many subwoofers over there that never see the light of day over here so a comparison is very difficult.

If I were American I would be very tempted by HSU http://www.hsuresearch.com/ but unfortunately, I'm not

3. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This will might get me flamed but here goes.................

There is no 10" sub on the planet that can play cleanly at 20Hz, the HGS-10 at twice the price is in the mid twenties and that's a world beater. I'm not calling you a liar m8, it's just that whatever you read/heard is incorrect.

The following is a quote from a Storm III review :

The rest of the review is here

I'm wondering if you are confusing "low frequency extension" with "flat to ##Hz". The first phrase is to be ignored out of hand as manufacturers use it to make a sub appear better than it really is, the "flat to ##Hz" phrase implies just what figure in Hz the sub can play cleanly at with no drop in level (this is done in an anechoic chamber from 1 meter away ideally)

For the price of the Storm III can't you consider the Paradigm Servo 15 or the Velodyne CHT-15?

Regards
    Phil

4. gimli

gimli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe that the thread starter lives in USA where the Paradigm Servo costs twice as much as it does here. Additionally he stated that he could get a brand new REL Storm at half price so the cost / benefit comparison is completely differnt than it would be in the UK.

The REL Storm 3 is a subwoofer much loved by all of the UK home cinema magazines (as well as myself) for it's musical ability as well as it's performance in the home cinema arena.

5. SoloScott

SoloScott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apocalypse, Ok, I know what you are saying. People say that the REL is a "clean" playing sub, and the numbers say that it goes to 20 Hz. I'm sure its output is greatly diminished and all "flatness" has been lost at that level. I've already been convinced that it plays with music very well, so I'm more concerned with how the Storm III performs in HT, in general, relative to its musical performance and relative to other subs in its category.

I am familiar with anechoic chamber testing and the numbers generated. Even though in room response will be vastly different, it is the only way to compare subs from different companies on paper. Without a stereo in front of me, that's sort of what I'm doing. Thanks for the advice and the link.

gimli, Thanks for the advice. I have looked at HSU subs, but I'm not very comfortable buying a sub (a very sub-jective item) that I cannot listen to first. Even with a generous return policy, mailing a 20 kg sub back is a pain and expensive.

How did you know I am American? Is "Bahstin, Taxachusetts" that obvious?

6. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I had a Storm III and found is superb for music, and therefore AV. I have yet to hear a sub that was good musically and yet poor for HT. The ST range does indeed integrate very well into just about any system, helped by considerable connection flexibility. I found that the Neutrik speaker level connection, for example, was crucial for musical performance. There aren't that many subs that I would rate, at this level, higher than the Storm, and none if you can get one half price.

There are a number of caveats, though:

Firstly, the storm doesn't really go that low, at least not without distortion (REL's proclamation that the sub goes down to 16 Hz is laughable). If you are looking for a substantial extension, at higher volumes, to your 803's then you should look elsewhere. I had a demo of the very powerful CHT15 recently which I thought was a better sub than the Storm III in this respect (in all respects, actually...).

Secondly I found that my REL Storm III was fantastically awkward to position. I mean, really time consuming. It was amongst a raft of furniture re-positioning that I found the ideal place for the sub. If it were placed just a few inches out of position then the sub would loose focus and impact. Even having the sub on its supplied spikes, rather than the Storms plastic feet, made a difference. Perhaps this was my room but other subs have intergraded more easily, albeit not as successfully.

Again, the Storm III is a really good piece of kit. Just don't buy it thinking that it will shake the foundations of your home like a Servo15 or CHT15

Hope this helps – Russell

7. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to say I agree with Russell.
    I often hear that downward firers are "easier to position" than forward firers. In fact I've almost always found quite the opposite ???

8. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to clarify that I wasn't dissing the Storm III, just the inaccurate figures, I make it a point never to diss a piece of hardware I've never used myself................mostly anyway :)