Help with recomendations for size..

Potatoe Farmer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All, help please, i currently sit aprox 2.5 meters away from a 49'' average quality set. My 2 year old smashed the screen on my previous set up about a year ago which was an old but loved set up. I replaced with a £500 Panasonic LED.

I'm hoping to buy a new house which I should complete on in early June.
Im planning on treating myself to a new tv, and using our current lounge tv in the childrens play room. Currently, we only have one tv in the house. Lounge tv will be used for Sky HD, Netflix etc, occasional bluray (although rare these days with downloading and Netflix etc), and occasional Nintendo Switch gaming, maybe other consoles in the future. Wife sensibly wont let me introduce my young sons into gaming just yet... only 3 and 5.

I'm lucky that the new house has a generous lounge, but I'm sure my current tv will seem silly small. What size tv should i go for? 65''? 75''? Images below of the room and plan layout, but i will be sitting around 5 meters from the tv. The only other way of using the room would be to put the tv in front of the window to the left of the fire place, but the couch would then block the access into that part of the room, see the plan. Also a window behind the tv could be a bit irritating, and my wife would likely always want the curtain open as that window shows the access to the property etc.

I dont mind at all getting a last years model, i'm tempted by OLED. But with house purchase, and stretching myself, i will be tight on funds so probably an absolute max of £2k to 3k... so prob can't afford OLED in a large size set... Any brand really, but ideally well reviewed. Slightly concerned about saying a huge screen to my wife, but I'm paying so my choice!

I will post pics etc, I did post pics here of my previous set up some 9 years ago or something in a previous home, before I now had several young children and work consuming my time. Thanks in advance for any advice or recommendations. I will probably place on a new stand. Maybe in the future wall hang and put media equipment in the room behind out of the way. would be straight forward to do that. But i wont be able to spend much money on home improvements for a couple years anyway.

Last edited:
5 meters is I think around 16 feet.. it's a long way...Maybe ii shoul go for a different TV position? But obviously not above the fire place

We're right at the point of the year when we're switching between 2017 and 2018 models so any recommendations now will likely be no longer available by the time you move in and want to buy it.

49" isn't too bad at 5m so I'd be tempted to put it on hold until novemberish when 2018 models start to get competitive in price and you've had a few months to settle in and try different furniture arrangements.

Endless Wave, thanks solid and sound advice. Possibly advice my wife would also aprove! Can't help but be tempted to buy in June when I move in. I would still appreciate any suggestions, as that will help me learn/brush up on TV technology. That way I may end up more tempted to wait until Nov for a competatively priced 2018 model. I'm not sure if I need 4k ultra HD etc.

2-3k come black friday time will be in budget for the 55" and probably even 65" OLEDs, especially the ones for LG. Maybe with 1 or 2 of the other brands too.

You have time to wait for reviews and see prices drop, so perfect to prepare yourself and research a purchase.

Maybe stretch to something like the
Sony Bravia KD75XE9405 if it comes down in price a bit more by Nov 2018? Currently £3600+. Maybe £3k in Nov? Complete guesswork... At 5m I assume 65" or 75" is what I should aim for?

Maybe stretch to something like the
Sony Bravia KD75XE9405 if it comes down in price a bit more by Nov 2018? Currently £3600+. Maybe £3k in Nov? Complete guesswork... At 5m I assume 65" or 75" is what I should aim for?
Sadly I doubt it, you are looking at the price cycle at the wrong point. That is a 2017 model and right now is probably when it will be at its cheapest before selling out. It may see a drop in the next few months by a couple of hundred but that's probably going to be about it before it sells out.

Look at the price history of the TV when it was released, £5000-5500. By November it was £3600. Not sure if there will be a new XF9405, certainly hasn't been announced yet but you could expect similar pricing with the new models.

The new 75XF9005 may be a more reasonable consideration. The 75XE9005 was around £2600 come black friday.

There may be other options too, but like many you will always have the conundrum of 65" quality vs 75" size.

A lot can depend on the resolution of the content you like to watch and your prospected viewing distance, which for UHD content is very close, even with a 75" TV. See: Should I upgrade? - UHD vs FHD

What about turning the snug into a proper viewing room with a high end TV(sitting close enough to get the benefit of the UHD and just having a big TV in the living room

Looks ideal from the pic(assuming it is the beamed room).

What about turning the snug into a proper viewing room with a high end TV(sitting close enough to get the benefit of the UHD and just having a big TV in the living room

Looks ideal from the pic(assuming it is the beamed room).
The Snug has been earmarked for my young children's play room, somewhere for all the toys etc. How did you know there are beams in it? That's not shown on the plan? I'm thinking with my viewing distance being quite far, at 75'' probably no point going for UHD quality tv as i wont be able to appreciate the quality... is my understanding correct?

Sadly I doubt it, you are looking at the price cycle at the wrong point. That is a 2017 model and right now is probably when it will be at its cheapest before selling out. It may see a drop in the next few months by a couple of hundred but that's probably going to be about it before it sells out.

Look at the price history of the TV when it was released, £5000-5500. By November it was £3600. Not sure if there will be a new XF9405, certainly hasn't been announced yet but you could expect similar pricing with the new models.

The new 75XF9005 may be a more reasonable consideration. The 75XE9005 was around £2600 come black friday.

There may be other options too, but like many you will always have the conundrum of 65" quality vs 75" size.

A lot can depend on the resolution of the content you like to watch and your prospected viewing distance, which for UHD content is very close, even with a 75" TV. See: Should I upgrade? - UHD vs FHD
You guys really know your stuff. The price history link is really useful too.
something like the Sony KD-75XF9005 would more than satisfy me if I could get it within budget in Nov below £3k. To be honest, maybe that is too highly specced taking into account my viewing distance? I'm not worried about brands and would absolutely consider for example an LG rather than Sony. God these big sets look beautiful!

The Snug has been earmarked for my young children's play room, somewhere for all the toys etc. How did you know there are beams in it? That's not shown on the plan? I'm thinking with my viewing distance being quite far, at 75'' probably no point going for UHD quality tv as i wont be able to appreciate the quality... is my understanding correct?

You gave away too much info in your post.
Seems OK now not sure what changed.

How high spec you go for depends on a lot of factors, budget, what content you will watch, viewing distance etc.

The XF will be an upper mid range model and a good HDR TV so its a bit of an overkill if you don't want to view much HDR content. If you don't need its extra HDR capabilities then you could go for a cheaper model instead, but it's hard to know what the alternatives then will be like compared to now.

never a good idea to use images that are on the web if you want to stay anon.
Always do a google search first.
Ok thanks Bob, I actually checked them on reverse image search and thought they seemed fine as partial screen shots. Hey ho, I have removed them now. Still appreciate the helpful advice, and looking forward to my eventual TV purchase.

From what you are saying on viewing material you won't be needing top end so the budget will get a decent sized set.

You could get something good from the current crop if something comes up seriously good value you could grab it but can just wait for the 2018 to come on sale once you have the feel for the room with your current set.

The best value will be a year away if you can wait.

Have you taken a look at the Hisense models yet?

I got into my new house c3 weeks ago, its a bit of a smallholding and been so busy with everything we haven't turned the TV on in the evening for 3 weeks apart from the England games. All set up with my Sky Q and my current 49'' tv. To me it looks really small at my viewing distance!
I had pretty much decided on a 75" mu7000 or 8000. A Denon x2400 or x3400 and a 5.1 set up with Q Acoustics 3050i. However, with a few different things cropping up like the need to buy a ride on mower, I can't afford to do it! Boooo. Mabey I will be able to do so in November and review my options then. At least I can carry on researching...
a.JPG

a1.JPG

I got into my new house c3 weeks ago, its a bit of a smallholding and been so busy with everything we haven't turned the TV on in the evening for 3 weeks apart from the England games. All set up with my Sky Q and my current 49'' tv. To me it looks really small at my viewing distance!
I had pretty much decided on a 75" mu7000 or 8000. A Denon x2400 or x3400 and a 5.1 set up with Q Acoustics 3050i. However, with a few different things cropping up like the need to buy a ride on mower, I can't afford to do it! Boooo. Mabey I will be able to do so in November and review my options then. At least I can carry on researching...
View attachment 1038841

View attachment 1038842
If you value how the picture looks on the lone side sofa a VA panel lcd will be unsuitable due to narrow viewing angles.

Its a shame though, because without going for an OLED you can't get both good blacks, contrast and a more uniform screen plus retain good viewing angles.

That aside definitely get the biggest TV you can at that distance.

Hi Dodge, and co.... UPDATE for more help please.

I am now sitting 5 meters from my current 49''. It seems absolutely tiny to the extent that I'm watching far less TV, and quite often not turning it on at all in the evening, and just talking to my wife!!! o_O;) I have fine eyesight but at that distance, I struggle to read all the menu etc on Sky etc.
After the house purchase and some surprise costs, I also have far less cash to spare...:facepalm:

I have Sky Q and Netflix and Amazon for streaming content. I don't buy Blu Rays etc. My young children watch some children's TV and lots of animated movies. I will also do a small amount of gaming on Nintendo Switch. not concerned about HDR as I'm too far to appreciate it (i think?)

At this time of year and thinking of a 75MU7000 or similar 75'' TV at a price of £2k, should I wait until black friday? or go now... To go now I would have to likely pay say £500 and get the rest on interest free over 2 years... Thoughts... I have never used any credit previously other than a mortgage.

I was previously thinking of a 5.1 setup with a Denon x2400 or x3400 and a 5.1 set up with Q Acoustics 3050i. However the soundproofing between the lounge ceiling and my 5 year olds bedroom directly above is very poor, so along with my now limited budget, I'm thinking of possibly just getting a TV. I won't be able use it that loudly without waking child directly above. It's a very old property, with no insulation between floors and I don't really have the head height or budget to soundproof the ceiling.:(

Confusingly I'm also contemplating getting a Samsung HW-K950 Wireless set up. This will save me the additional cost of installing hidden cables for rears. I have suitable power points for the wireless rears. Am I right in thinking I then won't need an av receiver just the sound bar? Review comments on here seem little hit and miss, with regards to it turning on and off etc, being fiddly etc.

As another alternative approach, I could get a 65'' OLED and no surround sound...
Perhaps a Panasonic TX-65FZ952B and with it having a sound bar or blade, just do without a proper system. £3,899.00

or LG OLED65E7V. again with integrated sound bar... £2,700.

I am concerned a 65'' will still be a bit small at 5meters... (my wife is not involved in my choice, she would say 65'' is too big, she is not even interested in getting a bigger tv than my 49'')
I regrettably admit that I'm not sure will I appreciate the difference of OLED.
I do like the idea of wider viewing angles.

Thanks again, hopefully, ok jumbling these questions together here...
Clearly, I have now just confused myself and have no idea what i should get!:rotfl::facepalm:

Last edited:
5m is very far, very far even for a 75" TV. Even viewing poorer quality sources that is quite far, let alone UHD.

The 75MU7000 seems like the best option to me.

But you won't get wide viewing angles. How important are they?

As far as sound goes I'm no expert but I'd say a good soundbar or stereo system sounds best to me.

Thanks Dodge! Pretty sure AV forums owe you advertising revenue for all your posts!
What about a Samsung UE82MU7000?
On price spy available at around £3400.
Is that the same quality as the 75, or more issues due to size? Too big for my room? Wife would have a fit! :clap::facepalm:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom