1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with reciever choice?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by sivy28, Aug 17, 2004.

1. sivy28

sivy28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all forum members

I am having difficulties with choosing a setup for my new home cinema, i have as advised read through and searched this forum but getting confused now even more? im going to purchase the infocus 4805 and as i have read separate system as apposed to all in one is the way to go

right starting with the reciever/amp been advised best get
    1 amp and dvd to have componant
    2 amp does video conversion?
    have video switching and delay?

i have a budget of £1000 for surround sound set up are these features out of my price range?

just need advice on what to go for in this price range for amp , dvd , speakers.

sorry about being long winded but i have read through forum posts and been looking at reviews but there dosnt seem to be any clear recomendations
    for newbies like me starting out on a decent first time separate package

any replies appreciated

Sivy

2. ktng

ktng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Welcome to the forums.

It may help if you clarify what your budget of £1000 is to include. You've mentioned amp, dvd & speakers. I take it you have a TV, but I assume that you will also need speaker stands/brackets, speaker cables and interconnects. Do you want/need to connect anything else like VCR or cable/satellite. Do you listen mainly to music or watch DVD's.

As you have already spotted it is a bit of a minefield, but the more info you can give the more the other knowledgable people on these forums will be able to help you. I'm a relative newbie here, but the information given to me here has been invaluable :thumbsup:

3. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    :hiya: Sivy28 and welcome to the forum

Also what type and style of speakers do you want? Compact or full size? floorstanders or stand mounters?
    The dvd is easy. Pioneer 575. Its a little bargain and does everything for about £140.
    The amp sounds like you might want a ax750 from yamaha at approx £400 should leave you £500 for the speakers setup. :devil:

Just still need some more info to help you as much as we can :D

4. sivy28

sivy28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi thanks for your replys much appreciated,

firstly im going to get the infocus 4805 projector

i have looked at these 2 av recievers which seem to have good reviews

sony str db 795 or denon 1804/5 but hear the yams are good 2

for a dvd player im stuck between the pioneer 575a or samsung dvdhd 395

then im totally lost on which speakers would match this set up

i have just over a grand for everything for surround sound eg receiver /dvd/speakers
    i like the idea of being able to play music ie dvd/a etc and i would use the divx if the play back was good but should i instead go for the dvi connection from the samsung to get best picture performance or wont it make that much difference?
    ill be using for dvds and xbox and some sky

hope someone can help

regards
    Nigel

5. sivy28

sivy28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi sorry the samsung model is dvdhd 935

also this dvd does not have dvdA etc but does this feature make a differance to music playback?

Nigel

6. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    we still need to know what style of speakers do you want? Compact or full size? floorstanders or stand mounters? When we know what type of speakers you want for approx £500 we can give you some suggestions. :)

7. sivy28

sivy28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again sorry for missing info

I am steering towards the compact style with possible stand mounts but if much better sound is advised from mid sized then i would consider for the better performance

regards
    sivy28

8. SurferDude

SurferDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sivy28,

Welcome! :D

That budget puts the system in the entry level category, but the advice on this forum should get the best bang out of that buck. If you want to squeeze some more bucks, why not buy the InFocus X1 instead of the 4805? Everything I've read says they're as good as the same machine just different channel/marketing strategy resulting in the 4800 being priced above the X1. I think the 4800 comes with a cable and pre-set to default to the 16:9 format instead of defaulting to 4:3 but both come with Faroudja video processing software onboard. (I'm assuming the 4805 is an evolution of the 4800, but if this assumption is wrong then please forgive my misleading mumbling... :blush: )

I know this is probably a tad off topic, but he did ask what system for 1000 quid?

Cheers