1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP with receiver ... question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by avenutolo, Feb 15, 2005.

1. avenutolo

avenutolo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all ... I just found this thread and I love it ... I have a question, however, that I hope you guys may be able to help me with.

* I have a SONY SD-545 AV receiver and it's been working fine, until recently. It seems that the front speakers are blanking out every once and a while. They can be on and them boom ... they go out.

THEN, A day later, they're back on. what the fudge? I've tried switching them out and the speakers work just fine in other locations like the rear or side...

I turned the receiver around to see if the connections were loose and they weren't. I'm thinking ... It runs awfully hot sometimes. Could it be the heat affecting the unit after all these years??? After all, it's housed in an armoire so could that be it???

Anyone have a similar problem??? :lease:

2. Diamond

Diamond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Make sure amp gets air!

Another one, check again the connections. If a lead touches the back panel of the amp, it gets ground and can mess things up. The wires should be short enough in the terminals, so they won't come through the screw. If there are screws..

3. tpc3416

tpc3416

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just upgraded an old Sony surround receiver and had similar problems. It wasn't overheating though because it would not turn on while cold. It was serviced and they had some issues with the circuitry. It may or may not be worth it to have it checked out. They do get warm, and do need extra ventilation. As in the above post, make sure no speaker wires are touching each other, and nothing is coming in contact with the exterior of the unit. :thumbsup: