• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help with realistic feedback for a 55"

MilleniumX

Novice Member
Hi

I am looking for a 55" TV. I read multiple reviews, most of which are very technical, but I would like some realistic feedback on performance which is visible to day to day use and overall experience instead of breaking up the various components and testing each one.

I will be using the TV for normal gaming (not hardcore), watching sports, and movies. Looking for a HD one, no need 3D or curved. I will not use much of the smart features as I will have BT. Price will be up to around £850, although would prefer something around £700 given most 4K screens can price at £900.

For example, I was at a friend's place, he had a Samsung 55" Series 6 3D smart TV (not sure the model number). When we were playing FIFA15, there was some visible motion blur which I felt was quite obvious. Although my friend did not tweak the settings, I would like to avoid that, or know if it can be fixed with some features turned on.

I have looked at the following:
- Samsung J5500 (£629)
- Samsung J6300 (£739)
- Samsung H6400 (£670)
- Sony W755C (£749)
- Sony W805C (£849) (a little pricey!)
- LG LF652V (£749)

Which one would you recommend? Any comments will be appreciated, or even recommending any new models! I only looked at Samsung, Sony and LG given the branding.

Thanks!

Kingchin

Established Member
Did a bit more research. Will probably go with the Samsung H6400.

Any views or whether I should consider a more current model?
Hi im also currently looking to replace my lounge tv with a 55inch tv. For me picture quality is number one criteria, not enough money for oled tv or quantum dot tv so I've had to research for the next best alternative. Ive settled on the Hisense 55K720 55inch tv which im going to buy in the next few weeks. It's direct led instead of poorer edge led, va panel instead of ips for a better contrast. Sells mostly for £1300 or more but ao.com have it on sale for bargain price of £799. Its model just below the Hisense 65XT910 quantum dot tv which has been getting rave reviews, better than the equivalent Samsung quantum dot tvs. Isn't much info on the Hisense 55K720 online but Hd Fever well respected French tv hifi tech site have a small mini test on it - Google Translate 4k, hdr capable very good picture quality. Not sure on imput lag for gaming but the reviewer Nicolas answered my questions in the comments, im sure he would do same for you.

MilleniumX

Novice Member
Thanks for the suggestion! I need to do a bit more research on that brand now :)

Any comments when comparing H6400 to some of the other big brands (LG, Sony) or even the newer models? Is it better in terms of picture quality for the same range?

For the 55H6400, when I search on google, there are a few sellers which are very cheap, such as "Best Price", "Appliances Direct" and "Pixmania". What's the catch with these companies being able to sell at least £100 lesser than their competitors? They don't seem to mention any warranty. Anything I need to be aware of?

Last edited:

ristac

Established Member
Hi im also currently looking to replace my lounge tv with a 55inch tv. For me picture quality is number one criteria, not enough money for oled tv or quantum dot tv so I've had to research for the next best alternative. Ive settled on the Hisense 55K720 55inch tv which im going to buy in the next few weeks. It's direct led instead of poorer edge led, va panel instead of ips for a better contrast. Sells mostly for £1300 or more but ao.com have it on sale for bargain price of £799. Its model just below the Hisense 65XT910 quantum dot tv which has been getting rave reviews, better than the equivalent Samsung quantum dot tvs. Isn't much info on the Hisense 55K720 online but Hd Fever well respected French tv hifi tech site have a small mini test on it - Google Translate 4k, hdr capable very good picture quality. Not sure on imput lag for gaming but the reviewer Nicolas answered my questions in the comments, im sure he would do same for you.
Did you buy the Hisense k720 and if so what are your thoughts on it?

Evokazz

Prominent Member
I also would love an answer to this whats suggested, pretty much no idea which 55" for £1k to get, so many choices, the Samsung 6800 looks tempting but worried about clouding and banding in some reviews.

mercury2

Established Member
just my observations....
I don't think there's any 55inch set for under £1k that ticks all the boxes, that's why there's so many of these 'which 55inch TV' threads with little response
there's always something that lets them down
even the Samsung JU7500 I have read that when it's using 4:4:4 scaling the input lag goes very high!

could do with more info on these Hisense sets

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom