Quantcast

Help with re-aligning Sky Dish

Gliese 581c

Distinguished Member
Due to the lovely weather were having in Scotland these days, my sky dish is being moved with the wind. I've had them out twice to re-align it, but now there's only so many times I can threaten to cancel and they always try and charge me for the guy to come out and re-align it, so I thought this may be easier to just do myself.

What do I need exactly ? I realise I need a meter, but which one would be best and any instruction on how to do/use it would be great.

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
If your dish keeps moving in the wind, I would suggest it hasn't been installed correctly in the first place.

My Zone 2 dish (such as you probably have) is rock solid, as is my 80cm steerable dish.

They are in a very exposed position, overlooking the English Channel, where we had Storm Force 10 winds yesterday.

Get Sky back to do a proper job!

Gliese 581c

Distinguished Member
If your dish keeps moving in the wind, I would suggest it hasn't been installed correctly in the first place.

My Zone 2 dish (such as you probably have) is rock solid, as is my 80cm steerable dish.

They are in a very exposed position, overlooking the English Channel, where we had Storm Force 10 winds yesterday.

Get Sky back to do a proper job!
Let's say that is true, getting them to admit there was an issue with the install would be a no go, and getting them out to repair something they wont admit to will also be a no go.

Back to my original post.

logiciel

It's their responsibility, and the complaints form at MySky is the way to get them to honour it.

Vin Blanc

Aiming a sat dish, see attachment:-

Note: You can probably ignore reference to the LNB adjustment as it is unlikely that it would have moved in the wind.

Good luck
Vin Blanc

Attachments

Last edited:

Gliese 581c

Distinguished Member
If you're determined to risk your own well-being by doing it yourself, Dave Sullivan's website is probably best for free and accurate (no pun intended) advice.
Thanks.

Aiming a sat dish, see attachment:-

Note: You can probably ignore reference to the LNB adjustment as it is unlikely that it would have moved in the wind.

Good luck
Vin Blanc
Thanks.

Found your thread due to having a similar issue in the Scottish Borders with winds of 100MPH on Tuesday (bit more than a Force 10) and the signal is gone for all but the 5 terrestrial channels (with break up depending on how blowy it is outside- assuming it is moving like yours).

DO you have ANY signal, and did you do the signal test as prescribed by Sky? Just that I did this and allegedly have reasonable signal strength and low quality (no idea what it was before- not perfect but the engineer did spend four hours not knowing what he was doing fitting it, which is part of why I worry). In other words- it is supposed to be a broadcast issue rather than a technical fault at my end. IF the on-screen troubleshoot is to be believed.

So- next question... you wrote: "they always try and charge me for the guy to come out and re-align it" Does that mean that they are meant to do this realignment for free?!? Only I am really no longer sure what to do- to wait for the "broadcast issue" to resolve, to call my own guy out or to wait until the Sky customer service line will take my call.

Any info you can provide would be ace. And good luck with your dish!
Yeah we experienced the same wind in Glasgow, I think its the huge gusts thats doing the damage. Yep, my picture now just breaks up, my signal strength is 3/4 full, but pic quality just has a tiny little bit showing in the graph. I'd say a good few channels apprear but then they break up instantly, or jump to no signal received. Sky ran tests and said the signal from them to us was perfect.

I don't think they are supposed to do the re-alignment for free no, but when I'm paying £70pm to them and have been for a very long time, I don't think its that much to ask they come and re-align it. I'm not asking for a new box or cheaper sky, just to re-align my dish. I've had them out before and normally a 'I'm leaving then' does the trick and they come out and fix for free.

I'm gonna grab one of the meters from ebay and give it a go myself.

Last edited:

Vin Blanc

my picture now just breaks up, my signal strength is 3/4 full, but pic quality just has a tiny little bit showing in the graph.
Of the two, signal quality is the most important and should show about 50% minimum reading.

Vin Blanc

Gliese 581c

Distinguished Member
Of the two, signal quality is the most important and should show about 50% minimum reading.

Vin Blanc
Thanks Vin, when I do go out for a 'play' I'll aim for that.

We've heard that one before, along with boosting the signal from the satellite! :facepalm:
I think Sky basically confirmed what I said about signal strength (3/4 full). That the signal is actually getting to the receiver ok.

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
I think Sky basically confirmed what I said about signal strength (3/4 full). That the signal is actually getting to the receiver ok.
If the installer did the tests on site, then fair enough.

I read your post as meaning they told you this over the telephone and some of the excuses they come up with defy belief!

But I can't stress enough that it is Sky's responsibility to get your system working and you shouldn't have to risk life and limb! :nono:

logiciel

it is supposed to be a broadcast issue
It is not a broadcast issue.
Sky ran tests and said the signal from them to us was perfect.
The signal to everyone is perfect and the telephone agents couldn't test anything to find out, even if it wasn't.
on the East coast we are told that the signal is from a more central position ie South by South West
Whoever's going round telling people that needs to learn a lot more about communications satellites.
Sky basically confirmed.....that the signal is actually getting to the receiver ok.
That's very different from them saying "the signal from them to us was perfect".

As T G says, and implies, we've heard this all before from Sky, and it's still all a load of nonsense.

Last edited:

logiciel

I know you know that - that's why you write "supposed" - i posted for people who didn't know that!
Sky are meant to provide a service that needs a functioning dish - they should provide that, as part of the service.

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
I know you know that - that's why you write "supposed" - i posted for people who didn't know that!
Sky are meant to provide a service that needs a functioning dish - they should provide that, as part of the service.
Considering you actually own all the equipment including the dish etc it is your responsibility to maintain and arrange for repair of that if necessary. Sky cannot in the current weather conditions be responsible for alignment etc of dishes providing that the initial installation was of a sufficient quality. Dish manufacturers will only warrant dishes and fixings for gusts up to 75 to 80m.p.h. unless you pay for the very high quality ones which are warranted up to 100 m.p.h.

logiciel

What they should imho do and what they do do are, naturally, different things.

MartinPickering

I realise I need a meter, but which one would be best (?) and any instruction on how to do/use it would be great.
The TELEVES FSM450 METER 5" COLOUR TFT MPEG SPECTRUM at £1800 is pretty hard to beat and comes with an instruction book. Is that what you mean by "best"?

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
Whatever the legal niceties, the bottom line is that without a properly aligned dish, Sky can't charge a subscription and so would lose possibly over £1,000 per annum.

I really don't think they'd refuse to send round one of their installers for what could be a 5 minute job!

logiciel

And if not as part of the service to the customer then as a way of maintaining their income from him, as T G concisely explains it.:thumbsup:

MartinPickering

Horizon do a satmeter at around £240. That's about the cheapest "professional" meter. Below that there's a big price jump down to around a tenner or less, which will get you a meter that detects a signal, but not much else. It won't tell you which signal/satellite or measure "BER" etc.

Vin Blanc

Last edited:

digibobwigan

Standard Member
there is also an ap for android phones that you can download giving the orbital position of all the satellites you can use the phone screen to see if there is any blockage between you and the satellite ,its called dishpointer pro small fee for app but very useful if you want to no were hotbird is etc or the sky satellites