1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with questions about audio connections and settings

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Spacedog, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Spacedog

Spacedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

A few days ago I received my Denon 1920 and gave it a try for a couple of hours. First of all I must say I'm very impressed with this player so far!

However I have some questions which I hope some of you can help answer:

1) In what cases do the "Pure Direct mode" applies? I know from the manual that when it's on, the player only outputs analog audio (and supposedly a better one). But from what outputs can you take advantage of this "pure direct mode" better sound??? Basically my doubts are:

1a) from which analog outs?? The 5.1ch ones or the stereo ones or both??

2a) for which analog mode? 2channel or multichannel or both?

3a) for which input formats? only DVD-A and SACD or any type of soundtrack?

4a) when listening to music CDs, is there any difference between using the stereo analog outs and using the Left&Right channel of the 5.1 analog outs?? in the manual it seems that all the ANALOG options and features are concerning only the 5.1analog outs and not the stereo ones! What's the point of selecting "2channel" for the 5.1analog outs?? Will it not be the same as using the stereo analog outs? :confused: i.e., I wanted to know what is the best connection I can use for listening to music CDs and which allows me to take advantage of the "Pure Direct mode".

5a) I also noticed that even in "Pure Direct mode", sound is sent through the digital coax out. Wasn't it supposed to only output analog sound (like it says in the manual)??? :confused:

2) Changing the subject for speaker configuration in the setup menu. When you set the "analog out" to "multichannel" ("subwoofer" is set to "yes") and you're playing a normal 2channel music CD, does the Denon send any signal at all to the subwoofer channel if you have the "bass enhancer" set to "off"???
    - if it does, what is the "bass enhancer" really used for (what happens when you turn it on)?
    - if it doesn't, why can you still change the front left/right channel to "small"?? What is happening when you do this?? Is the Denon simply cutting off sounds (below 100Hz) in the music without redirecting them to anywhere?? :confused: :confused:

Any help appreciated please!!!

Thanks in advance.

2. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    1 (a) From both

(b) both stereo and multi channel

(c) All media types

(d) the D/A convertors on the L/R audio outs are a better then the ones part of the 5.1 outs. The SCART and 5.1 audio outs are linked. if set to 5.1 then you only get the front L/R down the SACRT, if set to 2 ch you get a downmix for the SCART and the 5.1 outs. So this setting depends on if you are using SCART and if you have an amp with multi channel in.

(e) the data on the disc is digital so the coax/optical out is an unprocessed signal, by selecting pure direct you get less interfernce within the 1920 from other circuits that may effect the audio coming out, be it analogue or digital.

2. For a stereo disc if the fronts are large then no adio comes out of the SW connection, if they are small then it filters the low frequencies though the SW. The bass enhancer increases the level of the SW signal if it appears low compared to the other channels.

3. Spacedog

Spacedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very very much for your help!! :smashin:

Just a final doubt. When you say "2. For a stereo disc if the fronts are large then no adio comes out of the SW connection," is this true even with "bass enhancer" set to "ON"??

Thank you again! :smashin:

4. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    i would imagine it will just enhance the bass coming from the front speakers....

the Pure Direct modes main attribute is that it turns off all the video circuitry and display circuitry.....as these can interfere with analogue signals.....so the sound is supposedly 'purer'..........when i use pure direct either on my DVD player (3910) or my amp (3803) it does indeed sound better......i would hope its for the reason they say, and not just that they make it sound worse when you have normal stereo selected....LOL