Help with Quest 2

beerglass007

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Totally new to VR so please go easy

I've just ordered a Quest 2 64GB version, should I have ordered the 256GB version ? I assume I can play maybe 1 or 2 games and would need to delete before loading another ? How do you play and load the games ? Via cable or USB ?

Also the PC link cable is £90 [ wow ] I assume its not just a USB C and something special I cant make or buy cheaper

I have a PC with RTX 2070 S card want to play steam VR....I assume thats the cable how does that work ?

Can you download demos or 3rd party games and play from PC or direct off the internal memory ?

I held off buying a VR handset for years and nearly got the Rift S but assume this is a better option ?

I had PS4 VR and loved it but the camera, cables and tracking did my head in, I assume this is another level on from PS4 VR ?

Thanks in advance

Hi all

I've just ordered a Quest 2 64GB version, should I have ordered the 256GB version ? I assume I can play maybe 1 or 2 games and would need to delete before loading another ? How do you play and load the games ? Via cable or USB ?

Also the PC link cable is £90 [ wow ] I assume its not just a USB C and something special I cant make or buy cheaper

I have a PC with RTX 2070 S card want to play steam VR....I assume thats the cable how does that work ?

Can you download demos or 3rd party games and play from PC or direct off the internal memory ?

I held off buying a VR handset for years and nearly got the Rift S but assume this is a better option ?

I had PS4 VR and loved it but the camera, cables and tracking did my head in, I assume this is another level on from PS4 VR ?

Thanks in advance

1) Yup, you'll be fine playing one or two games at a time and then deleting them. I don't have a Quest but I'm assuming that you enter the Quest Store wirelessly, buy the games and then download them wirelessly.

2) It isn't a proprietary cable, you can use any USB C cable I think, them charging that much for them is taking the piss lol

3) Quest games are played direct off the internal memory, wirelessly. PC VR games are played using your PC's hardware that needs to be connected via the Oculus-Link/bog standard USB C cable.

4) It's a better option, the Rift S is pretty much dead now unless you want the most comfortable headset to wear that's currently available. Personally I won't be recommending the Rift S to anyone wanting a VR headset.

5) It's going to be MILES better than PSVR. Higher resolution, better games, better eye candy in games, MUCH better controllers and tracking and you'll be able to play the likes of Skyrim VR with hundreds of Mods. The PSVR has a few great exclusives, but the amount of PC VR exclusives, particularly in the Rift Store, are far greater in quantity.

6) Welcome to the forums! :D

Hi all

Thanks in advance

No need for the 256GB version, unless you’re a very heavy user or want to store some VR180 videos or something. 64GB is fine for easily 8 or 10 games. You go to the Oculus store in the headset (or on your phone) and purchase and download over wi-fi.

You don’t need to buy the official link cable. Oculus were recommending the Anker one, I think I paid no more than £15. It is just a USB C but a high capacity one. Just ensure it’s suitable for Oculus link when you buy.

It’s really easy to use and set up, you’ll have a great time 😀👍

Hi all

Thanks in advance

I have the PSVR and the original Quest and I much prefer the Quest, I have just ordered the Quest 2.

I bought a cheaper Anker USB C cable and it works fine, the usb extender I bought to go with it didn't though so I would look for reviews confirming compatibility before purchasing. The Quest 2 will have 90hz refresh rate available though so it might be worth waiting for a third party cable that has been confirmed to work at 90hz.

What I would recommend after spending time with the original Quest is to consider purchasing the Elite strap that goes with the Quest 2, or purchasing a replacement strap from a third party sometime in the future, the Quest 2 will still be front heavy and I think its well worth the investment.

Tracking is like night and day difference and a big enough improvement over the PSVR on its own to justify the upgrade.

Whether Sony are planning a new headset to go along with the PS5 though no-one knows, but I think I would rather have a Quest 2 and stick a RTX 3070 in my PC unless Sony manage to get a fully wireless link going, but thats a huge amount of speculation about a product that may not even exist

I have the PSVR and the original Quest and I much prefer the Quest, I have just ordered the Quest 2.

I bought a cheaper Anker USB C cable and it works fine, the usb extender I bought to go with it didn't though so I would look for reviews confirming compatibility before purchasing. The Quest 2 will have 90hz refresh rate available though so it might be worth waiting for a third party cable that has been confirmed to work at 90hz.

What I would recommend after spending time with the original Quest is to consider purchasing the Elite strap that goes with the Quest 2, or purchasing a replacement strap from a third party sometime in the future, the Quest 2 will still be front heavy and I think its well worth the investment.

Tracking is like night and day difference and a big enough improvement over the PSVR on its own to justify the upgrade.

Whether Sony are planning a new headset to go along with the PS5 though no-one knows, but I think I would rather have a Quest 2 and stick a RTX 3070 in my PC unless Sony manage to get a fully wireless link going, but thats a huge amount of speculation about a product that may not even exist

The Quest 2 won't have 90Hz available at launch as standard though. Carmack said that they're having issues with 90Hz and Guardian so they're having it available in Experimental Features on launch day because they wanted a perfect experience for everyone out of the box on launch day. They'll have it as standard next year I think. 😁

If you want to watch 3D VR films or upload content to the Quest you might be in trouble.

If I was only playing games on my Quest, then 64GB is fine.

The issue with going for the more expensive model is that £100 for 150+GB memory is a rip off and ruins the value proposition of the device.

If getting a Q2, you kind of HAVE to get a 64GB version. Otherwise you're pretty much ripping yourself off and reducing just how insane of a deal the Q2 is.

I'm probably getting one myself and the 64GB model is the one.

The 128GB Q1 was a rip offf.. and I got ripped off.. and never used the 128GB of data except when I put on a bunch of high bitrate 3D films.. which I never watched because watching a film in VR generally sucks.

My reccomended Q2 purchase guide would be:
1. 64GB Q2
2. Cheapest Oculus strap they offer (don't get the battery one) ... only get this IF you find the Q2 uncomfortable
3. <£10 Amazon USBC cable for Oculus Link
4. Use a headphone solution for headphones you already buy.. don't get custom headphones

About £320-370
Now THAT is the best deal in VR we've had..
probably only maybe beaten by the £399 CV1 which at the time was bundled with tonnes of games.

The danger with the Quest line is to pump money into a budget system and thats not smart. Another Q2 user who is a bit of a chump who wants "the best of the best" the Q2 has to offer will end up with:
£399 256GB Quest
£130 Battery powered strap
£70 Oculus Link cable
£50 Oculus case
£30 Controller grips (these are good but they remove accessibility to the battery for quick changing which is VERY annoying)
£20 faceplate replacements

And then you end up with a price around £699... which is NOT a good deal for the Quest.

Thats almost £300 difference which is almost half way towards a HP Reverb G2 for you to have TWO headsets.

If you are new to VR, get:
Pistol Whip, Superhot, Thrill of the fight to begin with for STANDALONE quest (you get crossbuy anyway for the PCVR verison).

I'd say those 3 games are PHENOMENAL on the Quest because of the lack of a tether or wire.

Also to keep you busy at night time, the Q2 is the best way to "NOT" watch adult entertainment videos in bed. so "DON'T" enjoy that if its your thing ;)

I'd get into PCVR much later aka your 3070 as if you like the highest fidelity, you might want to upgrade to a G2. But if you're new to VR, enjoy the Quest's magical tetherless experience first... because it really is magical.

Also for PCVR games, if possible buy them on steam because they are cheaper, they work on both headsets so you aren't locked into the Oculus PCVR store and they normally even have a native Oculus SDK so there is really no reason not to get them on steam.

Standalone games wise also be VERY careful. Oculus Quest store generally is built to be an apple-type app store.. you just impulse buy. I impulse bought tonnes of games, just because its quick click, download and you're playing whilst with PC everything is much more of a fiddle. Make informed purchases IMO.

I only say this because just like with an ipad, you can end up throwing away £50-£100 worth on rubbish.. when again that can go toward a GPU or PCVR headset upgrade down the road.

There are also some awesome free games if you sideload onto your quest from developers who are still making games in BETA. These are excellent.

Half life 1 is available in VR... the entire game. Very cool experience lol.

Hi apologies for hijacking this thread but like the OP, I too am a vr noob.

My other half and I are getting into gaming. Are there many decent multiplayer games on the quest 2? I presume though buying a second quest 2 (one for me, one for her) would also mean purchasing the games twice?

Failing thay, is there a way to cast quest games onto the TV and does it work well? I was eyeing up that walking dead game, which looks fun. Just thinking if we took turns whilst the other one saw what the player was seeing.

Trying to see if both of us could enjoy vr basically. Appreciate all of the useful information already provided. Thanks.

Looking forward to it now. Ordered the 64GB version and looking at cables now

Hi apologies for hijacking this thread but like the OP, I too am a vr noob.

My other half and I are getting into gaming. Are there many decent multiplayer games on the quest 2? I presume though buying a second quest 2 (one for me, one for her) would also mean purchasing the games twice?

Failing thay, is there a way to cast quest games onto the TV and does it work well? I was eyeing up that walking dead game, which looks fun. Just thinking if we took turns whilst the other one saw what the player was seeing.

Trying to see if both of us could enjoy vr basically. Appreciate all of the useful information already provided. Thanks.

I dont know about Quest 2 as its not out yet, but on Quest 1 I can cast to the TV for the Mrs to watch, or I can watch her play.
there arent that many muliplayer games I think, but Im not very knowledgable as Im into single player, maybe a google search needed for that one.

Can you run Alyx on the new quest 2 using the cable ?

Just looking at the cable which is £89 and its saying its a fibre core..So USB C with a fibre core ?

The Oculus Link cable and software unlocks the power of your PC to add stunning graphics and heart-pounding gameplay to your VR experience. Simply connect the premium fibre-optic cable from your PC to your Quest and you're ready to play.

I assume a £10 cable from amazon is copper but will still work

Just looking at the cable which is £89 and its saying its a fibre core..So USB C with a fibre core ?

The Oculus Link cable and software unlocks the power of your PC to add stunning graphics and heart-pounding gameplay to your VR experience. Simply connect the premium fibre-optic cable from your PC to your Quest and you're ready to play.

I assume a £10 cable from amazon is copper but will still work

Buy the cable from amazon.
Oculus one is a rip off.

Yup, the Amazon Basics one works great so I've heard. There should be a law against them selling that cable for a small fortune 🤬😡🤬

Oculus cable is far from rip off, its fiber optic and they expensive because they use transceivers, there is chip on each side to convert the signal to light.
Also they guaranteed to work and charge, Quest 2 has higher resolution and refresh rate, if you used a cable before and it worked fine, now it might not work, you need much more bandwidth for that resolution and refresh rate.
If you go see how much Fiber optic HDMI cables cost [they work on same principles with transceivers]. you'll see that 1 meter cable and 10 meter cable usually same high cost and the prices goes higher after that size but doesn't go down with smaller cable size due to usage of the chips used in the cable.

This is investment for at least 1-2 years if you upgrade every generation, and much longer if you dont, also Link cable will stay with you for Quest 3 and can be used for other devices like if you ever get SSD or some other storage device that uses USB-C, this cable will be great.

IMHO if you care about PC VR, the MINIMUM Quest 2 kit should be:
Quest 2 64GB
Elite Strap
Oculus Link 2

If you REALLY need to save up some money, or you can use USB-C on your PC, there is this copper cable that also has USB Amplifier chip, these chips used for long USB cable runs, they 100% legit and not some fakery.

Amazon product ASIN B087NKYVL9

That crossed my mind about the standard USB cables which work with quest ,1..... Will they also work with quest 2?.
I don't believe the Oculus cable is a ripoff for what it is. ..... However for Quest ONE it was over engineered. You didn't need that good a cable.
Quest 2 once it gets the 90hz update could be a different beast and if it were me IF I wasn't going to pay Oculus prices I would wait until it is all patched and working properly before choosing which cable to buy.

That crossed my mind about the standard USB cables which work with quest ,1..... Will they also work with quest 2?.
I don't believe the Oculus cable is a ripoff for what it is. ..... However for Quest ONE it was over engineered. You didn't need that good a cable.
Quest 2 once it gets the 90hz update could be a different beast and if it were me IF I wasn't going to pay Oculus prices I would wait until it is all patched and working properly before choosing which cable to buy.

this is something I hadnt thought much on either and a good point, Ive got the Q2 incoming but going by reports (and my own experience with the Quest 1) may have to add on the better strap, and possibly the official cable to get it how I would like it.

The engineering behind the Oculus Link cable is interesting but many VR youtubers have done comparisons between a cheap USB cable from amazon and the USB cable from Oculus and there is NO discernable difference.

Whether the Q2 magically makes use of the distinct advantages of the cable will be interesting but for now its definitly a rip off.

I hope it does and it will move VR forwards A LOT. If the audio wasn't trash on Oculus headsets (apart from CV1), Oculus would blow me away at the £399 price point.

Every single review here speculates that with future improvements to Link the Oculus official cable might be a relavant purchase. And it their speculation, up until today, has still not been correct. Link is pretty much as it was when it was released in terms of audio/visual fidelity with little gigantic leaps in improvement.

However the Q2 could tell a totally different story and I hope it does as it can decode a lot faster.

My reccomended Q2 purchase guide would be:
1. 64GB Q2
2. Cheapest Oculus strap they offer (don't get the battery one) ... only get this IF you find the Q2 uncomfortable
3. <£10 Amazon USBC cable for Oculus Link
4. Use a headphone solution for headphones you already buy.. don't get custom headphones

About £320-370
Now THAT is the best deal in VR we've had..
probably only maybe beaten by the £399 CV1 which at the time was bundled with tonnes of games.

The danger with the Quest line is to pump money into a budget system and thats not smart. Another Q2 user who is a bit of a chump who wants "the best of the best" the Q2 has to offer will end up with:
£399 256GB Quest
£130 Battery powered strap
£70 Oculus Link cable
£50 Oculus case
£30 Controller grips (these are good but they remove accessibility to the battery for quick changing which is VERY annoying)
£20 faceplate replacements

And then you end up with a price around £699... which is NOT a good deal for the Quest.

Thats almost £300 difference which is almost half way towards a HP Reverb G2 for you to have TWO headsets.

If you are new to VR, get:
Pistol Whip, Superhot, Thrill of the fight to begin with for STANDALONE quest (you get crossbuy anyway for the PCVR verison).

I'd say those 3 games are PHENOMENAL on the Quest because of the lack of a tether or wire.

Also to keep you busy at night time, the Q2 is the best way to "NOT" watch adult entertainment videos in bed. so "DON'T" enjoy that if its your thing ;)

I'd get into PCVR much later aka your 3070 as if you like the highest fidelity, you might want to upgrade to a G2. But if you're new to VR, enjoy the Quest's magical tetherless experience first... because it really is magical.

Also for PCVR games, if possible buy them on steam because they are cheaper, they work on both headsets so you aren't locked into the Oculus PCVR store and they normally even have a native Oculus SDK so there is really no reason not to get them on steam.

Standalone games wise also be VERY careful. Oculus Quest store generally is built to be an apple-type app store.. you just impulse buy. I impulse bought tonnes of games, just because its quick click, download and you're playing whilst with PC everything is much more of a fiddle. Make informed purchases IMO.

I only say this because just like with an ipad, you can end up throwing away £50-£100 worth on rubbish.. when again that can go toward a GPU or PCVR headset upgrade down the road.

Have the Quest2 on order also, I do not think I have seeen a reply mentioning it, but for what reason do you say not to buy the strap with the battery pack?

Have the Quest2 on order also, I do not think I have seeen a reply mentioning it, but for what reason do you say not to buy the strap with the battery pack?

Simply to limit money spent on a disposable VR system.

I think the quest 2 is fantastic value as long as the price stays far away from the G2.

The closer it gets, imo the less value it has.

Really depends on your usage, if you plan to play a lot of portable VR, or dont have a VR PC, and dont mind spending a bit extra for better battery life, then the battery pack is the way to go, its expensive though, Im sure there will be cheaper 3rd party options.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom