Help with PWD6 Setup........please !

K

Kauf_81

Afternoon all,

Like alot of people I`m new to this forum and hoping anyone out there can help me.

Having trouble getting my new Plasma setup to work; it consists of the following;

Pioneer VSXC301 -> Panasonic PWD6

This is connected via Scart cable to RGB(Scart) to Y-U-V Component converter, Component cable out to TY42TM6Y Input Board in the Plasma. I don`t have the Scart borad but if this will cure the problem I`m willing to purchase instead of the Y-U-V adaptor.

VCR, DVD and XBOX then all in via scart leads to the amp / receiver. Sound is provided by Tannoy FX5.1 surround.

The problem I have is that the Plasma is always saying no signal no matter what input I try and configure it to. I have been assured this converter would work but as yet I`m stuck. I get sound out of my Tannoy system but no picture.

Any ideas on what the problem is here and any solutions would be very handy as its starting to grate...

Cheers

You have all the equipment there that should give you a better picture than using a scart board. There is probably something very simple wrong. I do not know your level of expertese, so excuse me if I state the obvious.... You could try:

Is output of pioneer set correctly?

Is scart coming from Pioneer to your converter coming from an output rather then input scart socket?

Is scart lead from Pioneer to converter bi-directional? Could try turning it round.

Is the input board firmly in place on the plasma?

Are there any switches on the converter perhaps for input/output?

Are the Red Green and Blue cables correctly placed at both ends?

Is the plasma input set correctly?

It's got to be woth trying these before an expert comes along and tells you what the problem really is!!

Abs

also check all boxes are outputting RGB, not composite. scart carries both of these, the VCR probably won;t be RGB capable, so you will need another way to connect this? If the xbox is connected by a scart adapter then red, white, yellow leads, this will not work. you will need a rgb kit for xbox. check the menu's on dvd for RGB mode, and make sure all scarts are fully rgb wired.

Guy`s, thanks for the helpful reply. Scart cable from Pioneer to Y-U-V converter needed changing round. I thought I`d tried this already but I must say I`m impressed by the picture from the DVD player.

However this is the only picture I can get from the setup. The VCR I`m using is composite only I think. Are there any ways round this or should I be looking at a DVD recorder which is on the cards for the future anyway.

As for the XBOX, yes I do have it via scart adaptor with red, yellow and white inputs. What is the answer to get this to work aswell?

Any tips greatly appreciated...

Kauf_81 said:
Guy`s, thanks for the helpful reply. Scart cable from Pioneer to Y-U-V converter needed changing round. I thought I`d tried this already but I must say I`m impressed by the picture from the DVD player.

However this is the only picture I can get from the setup. The VCR I`m using is composite only I think. Are there any ways round this or should I be looking at a DVD recorder which is on the cards for the future anyway.

As for the XBOX, yes I do have it via scart adaptor with red, yellow and white inputs. What is the answer to get this to work aswell?

Any tips greatly appreciated...

I think that board is RGB, composite and s-video input. It's worth checking to see if your video outputs s-video as that would give you better than using composite (the yellow wire).

Scart adaptors are usually directional or can be set as input/output. Have a look at your adaptor and see if it says input or output on it, or has a switch to change. What you need is output. Once you have sorted that then you would need to take the red and white cables to your amp for sound, and the yellow cable to the input board on the plasma.

If your video does not output s-video, then your cheapest route is something like a scart splitter that converts to composite, then you could have the scarts from xbox and video into this and then a composite (yellow cable) going to plasma you could then switch between the two.

Do you have any means of watching TV broadcasts, i.e. cable, sky, freeview or normal analogue aerial stuff?

Abs

the converter is an rgb to yuv converter, so it must recieve rgb signals.

Abs, he has no input board apart from component. No composite, no s video. The video will not work with your current configuration. As for the xbox like i said get a xbox RGB scart kit from www.lik-sang.com.

chedmaster said:
the converter is an rgb to yuv converter, so it must recieve rgb signals.

Abs, he has no input board apart from component. No composite, no s video. The video will not work with your current configuration. As for the xbox like i said get a xbox RGB scart kit from www.lik-sang.com.

Sorry, I thought the TY42TM6Y was component/composite and possibly s-video as well. I use a scaler into VGA so don't use any input boards at all. I have a scart one here that I got free with the screen, I keep meaning to fit it just for the hell of it...... Bit I'm too lazy!!

Thanks again guys,

Abs your right I do have the S-video and composite inputs on the Plasma. I think I can solve the XBOX problem by buying an XBOX to RGB Scart lead for about £5 from ebay, ( please let me know if this is correct ) and taking that straight to the amp.

As for the VCR please can you tell me if there are any leads similar available to upgrade from composite output to RGB Scart as composite is the only output I`m getting from this I think. I have got a cable box going into the VCR and when connected via a scart lead I get sound from the amp but no picture so I`m assuming this is the case but let me know if this is wrong.

Thanks again

The x-box will be sorted by this, the VCR is a much harder one to crack! You'll have to use a composite connection straight to the screen. It's the only drawback of your config. However, a suggestion. Your 6 series has a cunning little thing hidden in a menu. Go get that DVD recorder 1st, then a 3 phono to 15 pin lead, component to VGA. Then sell the 'Y' board you've got, you won't need it. That will recoup quite a chunk of the cost of the DVD recorder, which is nice, as they say. Your picture will look very strange, so you go into the setup menu, and change input from RGB to component for the PC input, which you will be using, and bob is your uncle.

Maw's suggestion there will certainly give you a better picture than using composite and is the route I would take with your setup.

You should though be able to at least get a picture (although not great) to go with your sound on the VCR and cable box using what you have there at the moment.
Try cable box into VCR via scart (make sure cable box is set to output composite). Then from scart out of VCR you'll need a scart to composite and audio adaptor, these are directional so you want one with output written on it, or a switchable one that you can switch to output. You then take three cables from that adaptor (red, white and yellow). The red and white go into your amp for sound and the yellow one goes into your input board. Change the channel on your pannel... and you should have a picture.
I am not familiar with your amp, but you may be able to go scart in to that and then take composite out (yellow cable) to the panel.

After looking at the quality of your picture compared to your DVD input, you'll probably then want to back back up a post and follows Maw's suggestions.

Abs

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom