Help with PTAE500

A

aliman

Hi Guys,
I've just purchased this PJ and would be greatful if you guys could advise me on how to get the best results i.e. settings and connection.I will be using the supplied free screen.At the moment I'm not too impressed with the PQ so please help.:lease: :lease:

Read this post here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=129548

addendum, esxtra changes I've made are:

Brightness Red -3
Brightness Green +3
Brightness Blue 0

which counteracts the overcompensated filter a bit (above post explains all)

G'luck with the PJ - it can give stunning images with correct tweaking

Gaffer,

I am finding the image on the 500 to have a "Processed" look to it. Is this what you meant by lifeless? I am frustrated at the moment with the picture quality as it is not as good as I had first thought.

Ajax.

I'm not sure that a processed look is.

What are you using as a source for the Panny 500?

There will be a factor in the smooth screen technology - it slightly artifically blurs the image to reduce screendoor effect. Maybe you don't like the smooth screen technology.

I've got used to it - I do like the smoothness of the image - I find it cinematic.

Although I do use a HTPC running windvd. I've enabled the sharpness effect for windvd and find it improves the image.

I did try using a standard dvd player as a source and it wasn't nearly as good.

If this is your first PJ, your "processed look" may be a result of poor disc mastering. Many DVDs have excessive edge enhancement applied to them (there is another thread recently reactivated on this subject, with pictures) and this, IMO gives a processed look to images. It's much, much more visible on a large presentation and there's little you can do about it, except watch different titles.

Take a look at Star Wars Ep 2 (which is commendably pretty well free of this nastiness) and see what you find.

Hello,

Thanks for the replies. I have used a variety of dics (LOTR, Indiana Jones Trilogy, AVIA, etc). The picture just doesnt look right. It's not a sharpness issue it's more that it looks like a poorly setup LCD tv in Dixons. I am currently using a Denon 2200 via a 9m Mark Grant Component cable and the PJ has a Hoya FL-D attached to it. The more I watch it the more frustrating it becomes.

Ajax.

Ajax, the Denon 2200 has mixed reviews on its progressive output. Some owners see artifacts and prefer the interlaced output. If your player is adding unwanted atrifacts, the AE500 is compounding the problem when scaling up to 720P. Hence the 'processed' look. My recommendation is to match the source output to the Panasonic, either a 720P DVI player or a HTPC. I have both connected to my AE500 and after calibration I definitely don't have a 'processed' look to my DVDs.
Cheers, Rob.

It's a combination of things for you, the scaling up, the smoothscreen and the edge enhancement.

I had the same problem initially, the picture simply looked pixelated on detail some what like an LCD screen. I then realised I had edge enhancement switched ON, on my SD900E. Once switched off, and on component out non PS, the picture took on leaps and bounds.

This PJ is capable of some stunning imagery with some tweaks (and you have plenty of them available). Recently the HS20 has taken a dive in price and taken a hike in popularity. That maybe a better price for the HS20 now but the difference of circa £400 is still not one to be taken lightly. It will after all buy you quite decent DVD player or even near enough for an Arcam 88+ !The AE500 is something special indeed.

Hello,

I have set it to non PS and to be honest the picture is still the same. From what you say it sounds as though you can see what I am talking about. I have probably made all the tweaks that I can think of but end up just wanting to lash the remote at the screen. I have seen pictures from the 500 that have real depth and richness to them but mine is no where near that. I know that for £1200 I should'nt expect £6k's worth of performance but I would like something close to what everyone else seems to be able to get. It appears that I may have to travel down the DVI player / HCPC route (However the better half has already spoken of her desire to rearrange my genitals if I consider doing either!:eek:).

Cheers,

Ajax.

Ajax, Post your settings and I'll compare them with mine. I know mine is set up with the DVI input but TV channels from a Freeview box look fine with the component inputs on the same settings. Can you demo another DVD player with your AE500 or take your Denon to another 500 and check if it's the player or projector that's the problem ? The Samsung is £140 and £10 should get you a decent 'cup' to protect your b*lls from the missus !
Cheers, Rob.

Hello,

I have tried it with my old Sony 525 via RGB scart. It still looks odd. Is the Samsung any good?

Also, my settings change on a nightly basis so posting them would'nt be much use. However post yours and I can have a mooch.

Thanks,

Ajax.

When I looked at the PT500 I demoed it using a Marantz DVD player and was quite disapointed with the performance. Can relate to your poorly setup 'LCD' TV look, opted not to purchase.

Then I took my Denon 2900 to the dealer and the result was a marked improvement so purchased the projector.

Then one day during visit to dealer for a cofee and chat out of curiosity we hooked up a Pioneer 868 via HDMI to DVI-D to the Panasonic prjector.... the difference was stunning!

I borrowed the 868 for a few days and just couldn't give it back! The 668 is also a stunning performer (and cheaper)

With a projector the source is vitally important and it would seem some DVD players are more suited to some projectors than others.

Ajax.....Sorry for the delay.

It does sound a bit odd. I've set mine up now and it looks as good as the nearest DLP equivalent (the optoma H30).
The picture looks just right and very 3d-like (great depth, like you could reach into the screen).
A further addendum to my other thread is that I found out the filter I have is a Flourescent white filter that is used in artificial light conditions, as opposed to what I should've got --- the flourescent day filter which is the same type of filter but only lighter (weaker) used for daytime camera photo's. It just means I had to tweak a bit more, but piccie definitiley improved. I'll post new piccies on my website soon..(if you go to www.drg4.fsnet.co.uk and navigate to the 'links' page (yellow background), go into 'my new av page' scrolling down. At the bottom is three piccies with the last one on a proper screen. This was before the tweaks in the thread so picture now looks better than this 'ice age' shot. Should give you an idea of how good the projector is.)
Try the settings i've posted and see if you get an improvement....

NR - off
picture set to '16:9' not 'just'
picture in blacked out room
colour temp = 0
fan control = normal
lamp power= low
contrast = -4
brightness = +1 (but I use a darker filter than you)
colour = -11
tint = +1
sharpness = 0

Even with me having to use both horizontal and vertical keystone, picture doesn't looked processed.

Hello,

Cheers for the info guys. I have worked out what was wrong. I had a plug socket installed in the space above the lounge ceiling. I had been using an extension lead until this point. I took the plug out of the ceiling socket and put it back into the extension cord and lo and behold the picture improved beyond recognition!! Oh the world is now a happy place!!! Just goes to prove that the last couple of metres of power cable DO matter.

Ajax.

Ps, Sorry to whoevers thread I nicked.:blush:

Well that just saved me from a longwinded reply with all my picture and gamma settings. Congrats m8.
Rob.

Hello,

Would you say that the Samsung via DVI would produce a cleaner picture than my Denon 2200 via component?

Ajax.

Without a doubt. All the reviews praise the digital video output plus your feeding 720P to the projector for 1:1 pixel mapping. The Samsung is available in the UK and the Yanakawa (same price) from Germany.
Cheers, Rob.

DO NOT BUY THE Yamakawa. I got one of these because of the must lorded picture quality. Absolute garbage.

Its a cheap player. It looks cheap feels cheap and it dosnt work right. Freezes up whilst playing discs, sometimes wont eject the discs at all. Had to send it back to Germany for repair at a cost to myself of £28.

They sent it back saying they could find no fault with it. It still has the original faults. The samsung aint the right move either due to the pal judder. My advice if you want to use DVI go the PC route. thats what I am doing. Or wait for a decent manufacturer to bring out a DVI player at a reasonable price.

Hello,

So what gives a better picture? My Denon through a scaler of some sort or a decent HCPC?

Ajax.

Well there is no doubt that a decent HCPC produces the best results with 1 : 1 pixel mapping. I dont think anyone would disagree with this.

This is what I will be doing when I finish getting my viewing loft room decorated !

I say again dont buy the Yamakawa. Many people rave about these things. I guess if you get one which works (And the odds dont seem good, most people seem to have to mess around upgrading the firmware to get them working reasonably)

They will produce good results for the money if they work right. But dont count on any warranty support, I didnt get any at all and you will have to pay £28 just to find this out.

homeagain

Do you connect your 935 with dvi to ae500, and the htpc vith vga to ae500 . Or do you just switch with dvi between them?

I thinking about using my htpc with vga to the ae500. Would this be good enough?

exsodius, Yes I switch between the two using the DVI input. I would rate the VGA input at least as good as the component input with a greater choice of compatable resolutions to choose from. VGA cables are cheap, give it a try.
Cheers, Rob. :smashin:

Thanks homeagain!

Can you explain "a greater choice of compatable resolutions to choose from".

Can you get 50hz with vga? And what kind of resolutions do you get extra with vga?

I am having major problems getting my pc connected to my projector vga or DVI. I had it working with the default 9800 pro settings. Then I started playing with powerstrip and I cant get it to synch at all now.

homeagain, you have an ae500, what graphics card do you have in your PC ? any tips ? are you using power strip if so what are your settings.

It seems virtually impossible to get these things working right with PC.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom