• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help with PS3 !!

330uk

I just got my new PS3 today and have been playing all morning. Its a great console but I have 2 problems

1) I cant conect to the internet. I assume this console has wireless networking built in, just like the PSP. I cant change the setting where it says "wired network". How do I change to wireless network ?

2) I have a Panasonic Plasma. Purchased a long time ago. I watch TV, DVD etc using Media Centre from a media centre PC. The plasma only has 1 VGA socket and 1 scart socket. I have media centre plugged into VGA and get excellent picture. That leaves me with 1 scart socket for the PS3. The picture is pretty poor. How can I improve this ? I think I have a DVI socket on the back of PC. Can I use a HDMI to DVI lead and use the media centre ? How would I get picture on the media centre using this method ?

_Belial

for changing from wireless to wired, just plug a cable in and go to

Settings... Network Settings...Internet Connection Settings

On that screen you'll get asked if you want wired connection or wireless, continue from there

As for picture quality, there are hdmi->dvi adapters you can get which i imagine would give a much better (and be in HD which you wont get over scart) image. Have you double-checked the video settings on the ps3 (Settings... Display Settings) and picked the correct input and very importantly set your ps3 into correct aspect ratio? I had mine in 4:3 for first hour and thought everything looked a bit pants then realised it wa because my lcd was stretching everything to 16:9 :)

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
What PS3 do you have, 20Gb or 60Gb? as only the 60Gb has built in wireless.

330uk

I have a 20gb version.. so that explains alot !!

I have plugged it into the PC using a network cable, is there an easy way to setup the network ? I have no network knowledge and instructions are in Japanese..

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member

I have plugged it into the PC using a network cable, is there an easy way to setup the network ? I have no network knowledge and instructions are in Japanese..

If its anything like the 360 you just have to enable ICS on your PC and it should be pretty straight forward after that.

H

hey69

if your plasma is more then one year old, i dont think yuo have HDMI. and i even wouldnt count on the fact your dvi has hdcp enabled on it.
besides your best option is to find a RGB scart cable and not to use the included composite cable because that sucks really really hard

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
Definitely avoid composite, my PS3 was pretty nasty through composite at 4:3 but when I changed it to 16:9 it made the text pretty much impossible to read.

I have an RGB Scart Cable now though so hopefully that problem wont reappear.

330uk

Thanks for the help guys. Changed the display settings and its so much better. Just need to get a RGB Scart Cable now.

With regards to networking, what is ICS ? How do I enable it ? Sorry to sound thick but I know nothing about computers. Just trying to find the easiest way to network my PS3. The instructions are in Japanese so i cant read them either.

The PC its connected to has wireless setup, so if I setup a network between the PC and PS3 I should be able to go online.

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
ICS or Internet Connection Sharing allows you to share the PC's internet connection with other devices.

As for how you set it up I am not sure as I only used it for about a week last December before I went wireless but do some research on google and you should come up with an answer.

Jbuckman

PM me your email address, I have an english PS3 manuel in pdf format i can email to you? Im pretty sure i got it off this forum, cant be bovd to look for it lol....

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom