Help with PS3 and Denon 1909

akarit1

Novice Member
I have today connected my new PS3 to my new Denon 1909 via hdmi and taken hdmi out to my new panny pz81b. I spun Die hard 4 blu ray in it only to realise that I cannot get DOLBY TRUE HD or DTS MA sound. I've tried to set the ps3 to bitstream the sound in its settings but it doesnt give me the option. It only has various PCM settings. Can anyone help me with this problem as I would love to hear TRUE HD / DTS HD MA. I dont really want to buy a stand alone blu ray player as well. Am I doing something wrong as i have gone into the amp menu and played with the setting as per its manual or is it simply a case of the ps3 not being able to send the correct signal to the amp for those 2 sound formats ???
Any help much appreciated.

amita

The PS3 cannout output the HD sound formats in bitstream, but can do so in LPCM. You need to make sure the PS3 has the latest firmware installed, and set BD output as PCM. You will then get HD audio via your 1909 amp as long as they are connected with HDMI. Note that as the PS3 is outputting PCM audio, you will NOT get Dolby True HD or DTS MA flashing up on your Denon, it will instead say 'multichanel sudio' or something like that. Hope that helps.

Detto

PS3 does not do hd sound bitstream, only does hd sound pcm, set ps3 to pcm. You will get the hd sound but your amp will display multi channel in but it will be dolby true hd ect...

akarit1

Novice Member
I've just purchased the ps3 today, it is an 80gb one. How do I make sure its got the latest firmware in it?? It does show "multichannel" when playing blu ray movies. Can i assume it is HD sound?? To be honest it sounds the same as my normal dolby digital 5.1 dvd's. I thought HD sound would be slightly better and that I'd be able to hear the difference.

rwniel

Novice Member
You can check which firmware you're running on the PS3 by going into Settings/System Settings/System Information menu; the latest at the moment is 2.43 - if you're able to hook it up to an ethernet broadband connection then it'll alert you when there's a more current version (and enable you to download/install it). Sometimes new movies can necessitate a player update (especially those involving BD-Live options).

Depending on the blu ray movie, the default soundtrack may not be one of the hd ones - you should go into the disk's soundtrack menu and implicitly select one. The differences can be quite subtle though - it depends on the film. Die Hard 4 offers a pretty bombastic DTS-HD lossless Master Audio 5.1 soundtrack though.

Robert

Last edited:

SpeciMan

Novice Member
Whilst running the film, select display on the PS3 blu ray player - along with duration of film, this should show which sound format is being used.

akarit1

Novice Member
You can check which firmware you're running on the PS3 by going into Settings/System Settings/System Information menu; the latest at the moment is 2.43 - if you're able to hook it up to an ethernet broadband connection then it'll alert you when there's a more current version (and enable you to download/install it). Sometimes new movies can necessitate a player update (especially those involving BD-Live options).

Depending on the blu ray movie, the default soundtrack may not be one of the hd ones - you should go into the disk's soundtrack menu and implicitly select one. The differences can be quite subtle though - it depends on the film. Die Hard 4 offers a pretty bombastic DTS-HD lossless Master Audio 5.1 soundtrack though.

Robert

Can I do this wirelessly as I am able to surf the internet thru the ps3 without any ethernet connections???

amita

yes

akarit1

Novice Member
I do think that the normal dolby digital via optical lead from my normal dvd player sounds better and louder than the hdmi sound from my ps3. Is there a reason for this as I have been playing around but the Dolby true hd (if it is that) doesnt sound that good and I have to turn it up to -19 db etc for it to go loud and I have to constantly turn up the centre speaker volume, surely there must be a better way to set this up anyone???? Or is it a case of re doing the audyssey set up (auto) all over again now that the ps3 has been added to the set up. the subwoofer is also too boomy.
Any info much appreciated - I know I have a lot of questions.

akarit1

Novice Member
I do think that the normal dolby digital via optical lead from my normal dvd player sounds better and louder than the hdmi sound from my ps3. Is there a reason for this as I have been playing around but the Dolby true hd (if it is that) doesnt sound that good and I have to turn it up to -19 db etc for it to go loud and I have to constantly turn up the centre speaker volume, surely there must be a better way to set this up anyone???? Or is it a case of re doing the audyssey set up (auto) all over again now that the ps3 has been added to the set up. the subwoofer is also too boomy.
Any info much appreciated - I know I have a lot of questions.
Any thoughts on this anyone???

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom