Question Help with projector screen solution for loft conversion

Rich Pitchshift

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello. I own a Sony VPL-HW45ES and have it set up in my loft conversion. For the past year I've been using a Sapphire 90' portable pull up screen but I am not happy as the screen has ripples that are very noticeable on moving scenes.

2.jpg

My setup is unique as I also have my DJ equipment set up within the same space. When the projector is not in use I put the screen down and store it away.

1.jpg

Due to the loft ceiling been angled I am unable to use a pull down screen. I have managed to find a pull up tab tensioned projector screen from Elite but unable to find a UK retailer that stocks it. I have been contemplating getting a fixed screen and hanging it from the ceiling when in use, then storing it behind the sofa when not but unsure of the practicality (and the risk of the screen been damaged when not in use).

3.jpg

Please can anyone on the forum share any ideas or solutions?

Last edited:
In an earlier version of my setup I started out with a pull down screen but had the same problem as you in terms of creases affecting the projected image.

After that I hung a fixed screen by thin chains from two hooks in the ceiling and the difference in picture quality was night and day. Not the greatest of pictures but hopefully you get the idea:

2E96E9CC-584C-42E8-B5BD-8B91F1D6B1FD.png

I know it might seem like an awful lot of inconvenience having to lift it up and down all the time but honestly it’ll be worth it.

Not sure if you can mount it on the pitched ceiling when not in use ? So just taking from one mount to another ?

The sloped ceiling opposite the roof light looks doable for storage

I've a pitched roof similar to yourself and now have a fixed frame because of the very same issues but in my case the screen only very occasionally comes down, totally get your concerns about damage. How often do you use the DJ gear?

On a different subject, get those walls and ceiling painted matt black... the picture quality will take a huge leap.

How about moving the dj gear to the opposite end of the loft and then you can leave the screen in place?

I've a pitched roof similar to yourself and now have a fixed frame because of the very same issues but in my case the screen only very occasionally comes down, totally get your concerns about damage. How often do you use the DJ gear?

On a different subject, get those walls and ceiling painted matt black... the picture quality will take a huge leap.

I use it quite often. The idea of mounting it on the other wall for storage might just work though.

How about moving the dj gear to the opposite end of the loft and then you can leave the screen in place?

I'm unable to switch the layout as the stairs are at the other end and the speakers for the DJ setup will block off the entrance.

Not sure if you can mount it on the pitched ceiling when not in use ? So just taking from one mount to another ?

The sloped ceiling opposite the roof light looks doable for storage

Thanks for the idea. I'm considering that or storing behind the DJ stand. Not sure how easy it will be the manoeuvre behind the DJ stand when not in use though.

Flip it round? Have an acoustically transparent screen in front of all the speakers there all the time. Then the dj gear in front on a movable table you can shift out the way?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom