Help with projector height

Jimmybonds007

Established Member
Reaction score
I wonder if people could help me here please as I am about to place this projector and want to get it right. My layout is this...

I have a car port (no garage doors) for 2 cars (painted black inside). The width as you look at is is 5.2m split in to 2 by one beam at the front (this is simply aesthetic to make it look like 2 bays - the car port itself is not split when you walk inside). The depth is 5m. The 120" screen will go on one end (the 5m gable end not the back end (the 5.2m width part). There is NO ceiling as we have a pitched roof and was no point putting one in. So the ONLY place the projector can go is at the opposite end of the car port and the wall (5.2m away). Hope this all makes sense so far :)

The projector I have is a relatively cheap (£250) unheard of brand from Amazon. It didnt have a throw ratio but all the reviews said it should be placed at least 4m away so all good there. It also has digital Zoom and manual 4 corner keystone. So perhaps that means height is less relevant? If not...

At what height to I put this projector on the wall at the opposite end?

I can in theory, get it right at the top of the eaves (that must me 5m high!) but the problem is I have a beam running at ceiling height halfway across and therefore that, at some point, will block the projection. So do I just go as high as I can before the beam gets in the way or am I over thinking it and just put it at a convenient height for me to take it indoors when I've finished. That leads me to my last question...

Because I want to take it indoors (the car port is fully open to the elements on the entrance (5,2m), can I just put this on a shelf or does that cause issues....

That's it and really appreciate people reading this. The answer is probably far more simple that my explanation!

Last edited:
Without a throw ratio or offset, you will have to rely on your own calculations once you have the projector at home. You will have to check where it will live once you've purchased it

Usually the rule is you know the throw, offset and screen size you wish to use which will then give you some base measurements to work with in the room to find out if the chosen projector will work in that room. Another area is not to forget about the lumen count (brightness of the projector) if the area is open to the elements as sunlight is a projectors biggest enemy

something else to think about, using keystone will reduce the quality of the image, so try and get your calculations spot on

If you haven't purchased your projector yet, maybe place something in the wanted section of these forums for a 720p or 1080p projector and its price point. There was a projector which would have been ideal last week for your need for just £45 quid more and even though it was a few years old, it would have blown the unit you are looking at out of the water as it was about £1500 quid end new

I'm guessing your trying to get something setup for the Euros and Olympics. Also remember that many projectors are just display only and do require audio (in the fashion of a surround sound, soundbar or stereo setup) and hardly any have ways of streaming information, so this is something else to think about as you might be able to plug something into the projector, but removing the audio sound so you can hear it could be a lot harder than you think

Thanks for this. Yes sports really so I don't need to focus on out of this world audio. whatever projector I get, i will plug a firestick in to it and then bluetooth my Sonos Move. I'm now thinking of the Epsom 740 (1080p model) at £400 on Amazon. It's got minimal correction but I've realised I can just put it on a stand and then place it at the perfect distance (c3m). My only concern will be it will be in the middle of the car port and much closer to us (fan noise). But at least it'll be a more 'pure' picture?

As you are using the Firestick and its Bluetooth out, the first hurdle will be lipsync issue. Have you also checked your wifi stream into that part of the house.

Glad you are looking at something a little better no with the projector which means you can look at Epson's own projector calculator to find the out where to place the EH-TW740

wi-fi not an issue as we have an outside access point. Surely the projector wont cause lipsync? FS to bluetooth doesnt usually cause lipsinc but I can check that at home anyway with my Move connected.

I was just checking online about the Firestick and Bluetooth and it seemed to pop up all over the place. So it must be something that many do have an issue. If you have used it before though and don't see it you might be OK. You'll just have to try it and see once you've got everything together :)

Thanks for all help. Assume if there is Lipsinc there's nothing I can do about it anyway.

With both the devices being closed (limited ability regarding the setting constrained of the manufacturers), probably not

Most projectors can flip the image upside down or left to right.

So if the throw ratio obliges you could put the projector in front of you on the floor or a coffee table.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom