1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with progressive scan poor picture

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mr_incredible, Apr 6, 2005.

1. mr_incredible

mr_incredible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please could someone shed some light on a small issus ive got?

At work the other day we had in the new Panasonic HT42PE50 plas. We also had there new dvd recorder the DMR-ES10. This outputs a progressive scan signal via component so I opted for this. I used a set of Monster leads (about £60) as we also sell them at work. The thing is whenever I watched anything with progressive scan, it looked EXACTLY the same when I turned it off? Am I missing something here? I thought progressive was meant to be an amazing picture compared to interlaced? Im not kidding when I say that the two pictures were INDENITCAL with or without p/s. Am I doing something wrong connections wise or anything? I went into the set-up section on the dvd recorder and changed the output to component and turned progressive to on but like I said it makes no difference at all.

Please help!!!

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    the screen is prog scan anyway....so unless dvd does much better job of it you wouldn't see a difference. Is the picture bad though?

3. mr_incredible

mr_incredible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mep,
    the picture isnt bad. its weird when I turn the sharpness up then there can be quite a bit of "dot crawl" and the edges of things ripple a little. I thought component leads eliminated dot crawl? But no the picture is overall amazing Im just an extremley picky person when it comes to picture quality and stuff. It was just a suprise to not see any change in picture quality at all? When I did the same experiment on a Sony plasma a while ago now you could definately notice an improvment in picture when you turned the progressive scan on.

4. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    i guess in that case the dvd was doing a better job than the screen at PS