Help with Pro Spec camera + equipment - £2000 budget?

AngelaGennaro

Standard Member
Hello, I am looking for advice on video cameras.

My budget is £1-2000 (including sound/lighting etc equipment).

My friend and I are looking to hopefully recoup our investment through paid shoots so we want it to be of the highest standard possible -- 'pro' spec for shooting in a professional capacity (weddings, events, short films, music videos etc).

We have experience with HD cameras but only pro-sumer equipment, so have little experience with DSLRS, Pro camcorders. As such, we're mostly concerned about value for money in terms of cameras, lense combinations and the resulting video quality.

If anyone can point us in the right direction or has any advice/options, we will appreciate it massively.

We just don't know where to start because there is so much out there!

Thanks a lot.

:)

chrishull3

Considering all the accessories you have to get your budget will not come anywhere near a pro camcorder.A good deal on a canon XA10 is the nearest possibly.

12harry

OP appears to be experienced, he say; but hasn't used this to define the area of work. It will help if we are told the typical shoot, that's anticipated.
Also I am sceptical that he needs our advice, either.....

Chrishull3 is bang-one with "Budget" - that would hardly cover a start-up consumer kit, with strange ambitions...

AngelaGennaro

Standard Member
Hey sorry for the late reply! We're girls btw 12harry!

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess it shows our inexperience when we say we want 'Pro' specs at our budget lol. We're university graduates, with degrees in Film and have used cameras such the Sony Z1 and the Z7 but these were for brief periods (i.e short film projects). I think that pretty much sums up our experience with cameras and not much in terms of 'real' work experience. Obviously, we're not going in head first i.e spending on stuff we don't need etc, which is why I'm asking for some advice here :p

The typical shoot we're looking at are probably weddings and music videos. Is it naive to think we can achieve good results with a £2k budget?

A good deal on a canon XA10 is the nearest possibly.
Thank you! That was a good suggestion as we've got something to start looking at.

I guess the term we were looking for should be 'Prosumer' lol.

I'm guessing we can pick up a XA10 for around £1500-1800. How much should I be looking for extra lens or will this not be necessary?

Also we are looking at the Canon EOS 5D MKII. We really like the shallow depth of field and detail. A lot of videos on Youtube (possible another form of media we're aiming at) shoot with DSLRS and they look great but I guess the actual shots are limited to close-ups and medium ranges i.e how does these compare to the XA10, when it comes to capturing situations like weddings (where long shots and lots of things in focus will be needed)?

12harry

Hi Girls, sorry. We get very few on these pages....
Many wedding are shot on DSLR and Canon appears to be the main contender - Sony aren't there and Nikon is woeful for the price....but DYOR.
((If you have Nikon lenses spare, that "could" swing it))
Unfortunately Canon is expensive, - but all big lenses gather a lot of light - very useful indoor as it saves blinding folks with lights (and you don't need to cary them).

I've used Z1 (tape-based) heavy and cumbersome and needss a Pro-Tripod £200++ - you'll find SDHC camera/camcorder will be a revelation, athought the Majors still push tape-based kit - I guess many pro's know and love tape, believing that flash-memory can disapear.
But you'll notice the lack of XLR inputs on the DSLR - that is a real issue, as audio can be 50% of the vid! I understand HA10 is a very compact m/c and has XLR - but not interchangeable lenses....DYOR.

You could try yr charms on a wedding photographer (acting as Gophers), to learn the ropes - I doubt yr degree will sway much, but having a second-camera might help to catch the younger guests in unexpected moments . . . . however, most Wedding Pros have several Canons in fixed positions, to make sure they sell at least one DVD to everyone there!
Shallow DoF isn't the preserve of DSLR, it's just that being closer to manual adjustment it's easier to force wide-apertures . . . . do check if the Canon DSLR has autofocus in movie-mode . . . . some don't, which is almost a No-No to my way of thinking. My el-cheapo NEX5 remains AF (if you want it) in movie-mode which is 90% of the time. I don't do weddings. . . I'm seriously learning a hobby. The NEX5 takes interchangable lenses - indeed my Nikon f/1.8 50mm behaves like a 75mm - fab for portrait/interviews and that wide aperture really pulls in the light. It can't see in the dark, but it sees better than I can in a dim room!

Another suggestion is you join a Video-making film-group (always keen for female members) as there will be plenty of advice and maybe get yr hands on a Z1 again. (s/h about £2k) - but "tape is dead", I wouldn't buy it....FWIW.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

12harry

chrishull, do these cameras have mic-inputs? . . . . for certain they aren't XLR.
+Pros use XLR because naughty people will stand on them and any other plug is trashed. She's invested a huge amount of time in this Course so I think she'll want pro gear - she mentioned the XA10, are you confirming it's a fixed lens...I'm not reading yr words clearly.

Another feature {DYOR} lacking on the XA10 is LANC, surely a must for any pro day out? The Z1 is a fine camera, although darn heavy and un suited to a modern miss, er IMHO - to the extent I wouldn't buy one, unless cheapo and I knew the prev owner - drum issues to the fore. Also I believe the Z1 has AV-out which is handy if it's a team-shoot - I suspect the XA10 doesn't. This is not important for Weddings, but . . . for corporate showreels etc. could swing things.

GH2 has a smaller sensor than NEX5 (APS-C) and most Canon/Nikon she'd be interested in...It's fine in sunlight...but most Weddings end-up indoors (when it rains)...
Another feature of the Canon DSLR is a Soft-flesh rendering mode - this could be done Post, but many like the effect on Brides -and as a boost to their Mothers. I haven't used C'DSLR, but seen the results - stunning! Out of my budget!

Last edited:

chrishull3

chrishull, do these cameras have mic-inputs? . . . . for certain they aren't XLR.
+Pros use XLR because naughty people will stand on them and any other plug is trashed. She's invested a huge amount of time in this Course so I think she'll want pro gear - she mentioned the XA10, are you confirming it's a fixed lens...I'm not reading yr words clearly.

Another feature {DYOR} lacking on the XA10 is LANC, surely a must for any pro day out? The Z1 is a fine camera, although darn heavy and un suited to a modern miss, er IMHO - to the extent I wouldn't buy one, unless cheapo and I knew the prev owner - drum issues to the fore. Also I believe the Z1 has AV-out which is handy if it's a team-shoot - I suspect the XA10 doesn't. This is not important for Weddings, but . . . for corporate showreels etc. could swing things.

Yes the GH2 has mic inputs i know many who use them for wedding video,unlike canon DSLR the AF is good as well, the XA10 has XLR the next model up for lanc.The XA10 is a normal cam so yes has a fixed lens.regarding the comment on low light the GH2 is as good as any as the low light footage showed but on top it has a lot more resolution than canon dslrs.

Last edited:

12harry

-but they aren't XLR -that's my point so a non-runner and resolution/low-light/sensor size are more or less hand-in-hand given the technology moves through the industry quickly. If GH2 has more pixels then each is much smaller, so low light is an issue - and for Video the pixels aren't the real issue - but low-light certainly is.
CS has reported the GH3 is disapointing in low-light and suggests the GH2 is better (but fewer pixels I believe) but it's still a small sensor compared with APS-C. about 2/3 the size I think, the lens focal lengths mean they can have larger apertures, so this may offset the sensor issue.
However, I think the mini jack-plugs would be the killer. . . perhaps OP can say?

chrishull3

the XA10 does have XLR also the best low light of any camcorder of that price, CS ? . and i have not heard of the GH3,the mini jack is no problem all my Rode mics can be used with an adaptor on my GH2,but if the op can only go to £2000 including cam and accessories i think the XA10 is the best as to get the best of any DSLR various lenses are needed.

12harry

Yes, I'm in agreement XA10 - XLR inputs and a quality lens that will cope with many situations. However, I'm not sure OP will go with this as it makes the remainder of the Budget rather low - a decent tripod will be needed, along with some reflectors, and a mic to plug into the XLR skt.

I still maintain that any camera that sports 3.5mm jacks is not going to be classed as Pro, for the reason given in #7. If that Rode is a Camcorder Mic then it's not a "shotgun" - although the difference is not always made clear. Yes I know Canon DSLR uses 3.5mm jacks, it's a shame they didn't ask, eh? Maybe to differentiate between DSLR and Pro-Cameras.

Where's OP?

chrishull3

Yes, I'm in agreement XA10 - XLR inputs and a quality lens that will cope with many situations. However, I'm not sure OP will go with this as it makes the remainder of the Budget rather low - a decent tripod will be needed, along with some reflectors, and a mic to plug into the XLR skt.

I still maintain that any camera that sports 3.5mm jacks is not going to be classed as Pro, for the reason given in #7. If that Rode is a Camcorder Mic then it's not a "shotgun" - although the difference is not always made clear. Yes I know Canon DSLR uses 3.5mm jacks, it's a shame they didn't ask, eh? Maybe to differentiate between DSLR and Pro-Cameras.

Where's OP?
Where's OP?[/QUOTE]Left us ha,one thing though expecting a pro kit for that budget is simply never going to happen,one thing we can agree on no doubt is in this day and age any reasonable priced cam dslr from the major manafactuars is going to give good performance and servise.

of note films can be made with GH2s well as Canon DSLRS,i have seen the camera[GH2] end up looking like cine alta with all the add ons
Musgo Trailer on Vimeo
Making of Musgo(part I) on Vimeo

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom