1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with POST error (new hFX build)

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by johnny, Sep 9, 2005.

1. johnny

johnny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ok, 6 hours into my mCubed hFX build and I'm stumped by a POST message / error I keep getting on startup.

Memory and IDE devices are checked ok then I get

"Warning! system is in safe mode. Please re-setting CPU frequency in the CMOS setup. System is running in fail-safe state. Please recheck BIOS CMOS setup"

it then gives me option of f1 to continue of del for setup.

I've been into setup and set CPU frequency to 'auto' Had a nose around, but havent changed anything.

Tried removing power from mobo and resetting CMOS using the jumper on the mobo as detailed in the manual.

Is there something obvious I'm missing?

mobo: ABIT AN8 Ultra
    A64 3000 Venice
    6600GT
    512 Cosair Twinned Pair PC3200
    WD320gig
    NEC3540

2. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    have you checked the FSB setting in the BIOS setup..?

3. OneEleven

OneEleven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what CPU temps are you seeing in the BIOS setup screens?
    It's just a guess, this sounds like a warning message for overclockers who have probably overdone it a bit, so I'm wondering if the CPU is getting a little warm so the FSB is being clocked back to bring the temperatures down. :confused:

You could try removing the Borg :suicide: and using the cooler that came with your CPU to test this theory :rolleyes:

4. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the Borg cooler connect to the CPU fan header? Many motherboards won't run or will enter an emergency mode if they don't detect a working fan on the CPU.

My own system halts the boot process if it doesn't detect a CPU fan at more than 1500 rpm.

5. johnny

johnny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Nope. The borg cooler just sits directly on top, with the heatpipes veering off to the side of the case where the mamoth heatsinks are. Its just a lump of copper.

Does this mean I'd have to change something in the BIOS?

6. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I have the same motherboard, memory and a Venice core AMD 64 3200+ and I found that the CPU was not consistently detected correctly until after I upgraded the BIOS (to 16 if I recall correctly).

Also, check the voltage the CPU and the RAM are getting (I found my RAM voltage was too low - it was 2.6 and needed to be 2.75) and whether Cool n Quiet is enabled - it should work fine, but try disabling it while you check out the BIOS, if all is ok enable it afterwards. BTW keep a back-up of your old BIOS just in case.

Hope that helps.

7. johnny

johnny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks i'll try that. oh, just noticed you have to boot from floppy. I dont have a floppy drive, is that the only device you can boot from when flashing? not CD or USB key?

(they dont make this easy do they?!)

8. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    If you can burn a bootable CD on another PC (assuming yours won't start up that could be a problem, but then how are you able to see the forums, doh!) then you can boot from it and do the flash from that.

There's a boot menu F key (sorry, can't write this and re-boot to be sure what it is!) which will allow you to boot from the CD - or you can just disconnect the power from your hard disk and it will be forced to search for another bootable drive.

USB boot is another option (set it up in the bios) if you do have a bootable pen drive or similar.

No, they don't make it easy! I still keep floppy drives in my PCs for just this eventuality - they're no use for anything else these days after all.