1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with poor picture on hdmi cable

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by louisparks, Sep 21, 2004.

1. louisparks

louisparks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently mounted a plasma TV over my fireplace. I had a carpenter friend come over and we ran power and video cables in the wall from my components, which sit 15-20 feet away. I ran the following cables.

HDMI 30ft
    BNC RGB6 30FT
    cat5 30ft
    RG6 30ft

Until recently I haven’t had any HDMI devices. I recently got a pro-scan DVD player and HD Tivo both that have HDMI output. The pictures look pretty really good when played through the component wires but when I play through the HDMI cable it will flicker and cut out often. It is un-watch able.

The same thing happens with both the DVD player and TIVO. When I use the shorter HDMI cables that came with the players the picture looks great. I bought the HDMI cable from www.pacificcable.com and the salesman assured me that it met the HDMI spec.

Is this a bad cable? Is 30ft to long for this cable? Would some sort of amplifier help the signal? Is there anything I can try short of reopening the wall and re-running a better cable?

A salseman at gefen suggested that maybe their hdmi splitter $399 would work as it it also a distribution amplifier. Does anyone else think this could work?

Thanks in advance,
    Louis

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    louisparks

There's no guarantee the Gefen will make the difference you require - I'd advise you to get one on approval; I'd imagine Pacific Cables have a potential solution you could try.

A bit late now but it is always best to try the digital cables before you do an install!!!

Is it HDMI at the Plasma or are you using an adapter to interface with a DVI socket on the Plasma?

Best regards

Joe

3. louisparks

louisparks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it's hdmi at the both the plasma and HD satellite receier.

4. Filbert

Filbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    Louisparks,

Hard to say 100% what the reason for the problems you are experiencing are, but at the kind of length you are talking about 30ft ~ 9 metres, I would recommend Wireworld's Ultraviolet 5 or Starlight 5. If cost is prohibitve, you may consider Supra's HDMI offering.

The fact that the cable meets HDMI spec does not mean that it will necessarily give equal results at longer lengths, to that at shorter lengths.

Also, agree Gefen's HDMI splitter is unlikely to improve matters.

As Joe says, try a different solution/cable and see if it improves matters, changing each cable in turn, and seeing what makes an improvement, if anything!

Good Luck!