1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Plasma repair

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Andy Rennison, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Andy Rennison

Andy Rennison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is anyone able to point me in the right direction to get my Daewoo plasma display (dp42sp) repaired. Out of warranty, bought as a private sale (I don't think its hot, picked up from a domestic house with all leads manuals etc). Worked for 2 weeks then started 'fizzing' and bright colours burning out - after a few hours use (maybe temp related) - now won't come out of standby for more than 1/4 sec, with a brief fizz only. Paid £500 as a foray into plasma, I could live with it breaking if i'd had it more than 2 weeks :mad:

So i'm looking for a reputable repair outfit (preferably near Manchester) who can take a look at it.

On another tack, I know the word is the Panasonic's rock, but for me this was great ( briefly )

Cheers

Andy

2. Andy Rennison

Andy Rennison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    a 42" display for £500? i wouldnt touch that with a 10ft pole even if it was a deawoo

4. dave0523

dave0523
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    FWIW I would guess a repair would outweigh the value of the screen - a new one won't be much dearer....

5. Andy Rennison

Andy Rennison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jago. I have unfortunately. Why do you say this?

6. Andy Rennison

Andy Rennison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a follow up, Master care will pickup, assess, repair and return for £80 + cost of parts, which sounds ok to me so long as they dont fleece me on the parts - grin. Lets see what happens

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I would be tempted to contact Daewoo as well i listed there contact details on another very very similar thread (do you have a copy of original receipt?)

8. Andy Rennison

Andy Rennison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update. - Mastercare changed their minds :) - apparently they do not repair plasma's - its not "Cost effective". Daewoo on the otherhand were very helpful. We are a tech firm so have in house expertise. The service manual is on its way, looks like its the Y Sustain PCB. Now yes, this is expensive ( about £250 ) - but I fail to see the logic of "Not economical to repair". If I had a washing machine with 8 years life left, and the replacement was at least £1K - id spend 250 to get it working again. Am I missing some logic here, is there something I dont know ?

Horny Dragon, thanks for the advice mate, looks like it may breath again soon.

9. dave0523

dave0523
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    In the throw away society we live in, I'm not suprised by their attitude.

I'll bet some parts are (a)Hard to come by and (b)Expensive therefore persuading you to buy a new screen instead of repairing your existing one.

10. Andy Rennison

Andy Rennison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Well, I sorted it. The guys at Daewoo were helpful, and suggested it was the YSUSTAIN board. So, I bought the service manual, and went through the diagnostics, which confirmed the diagnosis.

A new board was acquired from SEME, fitted and it works a treat now.

The components on the board get jolly hot in normal operation, so I bought a low noise fan and fitted it to blow cool air into the back, now it runs as cool as a cool thing and works perfectly.

So, all's well that ends well. :clap:

Can anyone make use of the dead YSUSTAIN board LOL

Andy

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Excellent news mate...........

12. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    thats good to know fella.

I never thought about whether my new plasma will get hot.

My flat gets very hot in the summer. Thermo last year read 36 Degress and that was with all the windows and balcony door open.

I have a feeling my PW7 may struggle??

Dal

13. adymartin

adymartin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    glad to see you get sorted out mate, especially after jago's helpful comments.

price didn't stuff you either, still got a plazzy for under 800 sheets. can't be bad mate. :thumbsup:
    happy trails.

14. Andy Rennison

Andy Rennison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi w3dal

Well, i do have it mounted on the wall, so airflow at the back is more restricted then a table top install, but, having had it bust once, i decided not to let it happen again. I can speak for Panna's - others can answer that i guess.

From experience, anything running hot last less time, just how the physics works :)

a.

15. Andy Rennison

Andy Rennison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Horny Dragon

Yes, its a relief and pleasure. Its been fixed a few weeks, but i decided not to tempt fate till now by posting. Thanks for the advice, you certainly helped me out, and it is appreciated.

Andy

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    no worries Andy, i think you may be the First DIY plamsa repair on the forum......(its not hard as they are almost all built on a modular chassis where you swap a dead board for a new one even if it is a 0.0001p resistor or capacitor thats gone............ but getting parts is the hard bit, Daewoo have done themselves proud..........(so what line of "technical" work are you in? PM me if not for public veiwing)

17. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    mines on the wall too and although it doesnt seem to get that hot back there at the moment. Im sure it will when my flat starts to warm up and the screen has been on for long hours saying that.

I would say its proberly on 2 hours max a day and maybe double that at weekends.

Dal