Help with placing atmos speakers

robswede88

Hey! I currently have a 5.1 system and have now purchased another 4 speakers to my Yamaha 7.2 RX-V781 amplifier. I was going to put two speakers directly above the sofa as atmos speakers and two directly against the wall as rear surround. The wall is directly behind the sofa. The room is 25 square meters. Will it be overkill with rear surround and have I put the atmos speakers in the best position?

All speakers are at ear level except from atmos. Another idea I had was to put the surround back speakers (the ones behind the sofa) in the ceiling and put the atmos speakers in the front part of the ceiling instead.

I have the Q Acoustics 2050i as 5.1 system speakers today and the 4 speakers that I have purchased is the Canton 120 CD.

Attachments

• image-2313480711.jpg
    image-2313480711.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
You can only do 7.1 with surround backs or 5.1.2 with the overhead atmos speakers in/on-ceiling. You can`t do both with that receiver as you need 9.2 receiver. Yamaha has only 7 internal amps so it can`t power all those speaker you have even if it has terminals for more speakers. You will assign the speakers in the menu so either surround backs or atmos speakers can be used, not both.

Return one pair of CD120 and specifically the surround backs. Your best bet is 5.1.2 with the couch against wall. Surround backs are useless as you require 0,5-1meter space at least behind couch.

robswede88

You can only do 7.1 with surround backs or 5.1.2 with the overhead atmos speakers in/on-ceiling. You can`t do both with that receiver as you need 9.2 receiver. Yamaha has only 7 internal amps so it can`t power all those speaker you have even if it has terminals for more speakers. You will assign the speakers in the menu so either surround backs or atmos speakers can be used, not both.

Return one pair of CD120 and specifically the surround backs. Your best bet is 5.1.2 with the couch against wall. Surround backs are useless as you require 0,5-1meter space at least behind couch.
Okey, thanks, I understand. Would you place the atmos speakers over the sofa pointing down or would you have them in the front?

gibbsy

Okey, thanks, I understand. Would you place the atmos speakers over the sofa pointing down or would you have them in the front?
Place the Atmos speakers in the ceiling roughly above where your knees would be when seated in the main listening position. They should be in line with the front left and right.

robswede88

Place the Atmos speakers in the ceiling roughly above where your knees would be when seated in the main listening position. They should be in line with the front left and right.
Thank you, sounds like a plan. Will try to install it later this week. :)

robswede88

Thank you guys! Im happy with the installation and placement, love the atmos sound! :D I ended up with a 5.1.2 system as you adviced.
IMG_20220305_160258.jpg

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thank you guys! Im happy with the installation and placement, love the atmos sound! :D I ended up with a 5.1.2 system as you adviced.
View attachment 1664009

Nice, but you would be better without center channel completely than having it so low shooting shins. How about talking with wife about raising the centre up below tv and running setup again? Should make very clear difference.

gibbsy

I agree with Gasp as to the centre. It's too low, will certainly be noticeable when panning across the front soundstage because of the difference in height. You look to have enough room below the TV so that it could sit on top of the cabinet. Have it to sit proud of the edge of the cabinet by around 25-30cm and put a rug down in front of that cabinet.

robswede88

I agree with Gasp as to the centre. It's too low, will certainly be noticeable when panning across the front soundstage because of the difference in height. You look to have enough room below the TV so that it could sit on top of the cabinet. Have it to sit proud of the edge of the cabinet by around 25-30cm and put a rug down in front of that cabinet.
Thanks guys, yes I had the same thought. I just have to convince the wife that its still will look "scandinavian clean". 😅 Would be nice to not have to hear the voices comming from the floor.

Option 1: Change placement without telling and hope she wont notice.

Option 2: Ask

Tough choice 😆

Jester1066

robswede88

Haha she noticed :rotfl:, but I hope I can keep it in the new position because the sound is so much better now. Thanks again! :thumbsup:

Jester1066

Haha she noticed :rotfl:, but I hope I can keep it in the new position because the sound is so much better now. Thanks again! :thumbsup:
She'll "get used to it" (honestly 🤣😉)....

However now you've repositioned it in "Prime Position" - I'd recommend rerunning Audessey 👌👍🏼

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN800B 8K TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom