Help with placement of rear speakers on wall (height and location)

rossyl

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to decide where to position my speakers...:confused:

EDIT -
the speakers are Jamo 102 (satellites)
the distance from TV to sofa is 12.5foot

Here's a layout of the room...

When sat on the sofa, your eye level is roughly the middle of the TV
The sofa arms are high.

I was thinking of placing the speakers on the wall either side of the sofa at ear level?

Thoughts please.

Thank you.:lease:

Last edited:
If that was my room I'd place rear right on the same wall as the window just to the left of where you've written 'Dining Table' and rear left on the wall opposite the window, just below where you've written 'Door'. Both of the speakers I'd try to get about 12 - 18" above ear level.

Difficult to say what that would sound like without actually hearing it, but it would certainly be the first placement I would try and my best guess at the optimum places.

That drawing isn't really to scale. Sorry.

There's a 12.5ft vieing distance to the TV, don't know if that amkes a difference.

I think placing them on eitherw all they will be roughly 6 foot away from listening point.

I though placing the rears that far away might render them a bit useless.

What amp receiver are you using, just wondered because if your receiver has auto setup (sending test tone through each speaker for measuring distance from listenning position etc) or manual calibration you could adjust the "volume" of each speaker to compensate the positioning.

If not then I would definately try each side of the sofa first see how it sounds then try as richard_t suggests,

HTH :smashin:

hi there.

i have nearly exactly the same layout as you.

with the exception that i have a 2nd sofa, placed on the wall opposite the window.

Now, i have tried a few setup's with my speakers....the ONLY one i have found to be decent is with the 2 rears at each end of the sofa ( opposite the fireplace)

Now, if you only have 1 sofa, then i would place my money on that.....i have 2, but my prime location for VIEWING, is in the middle of the sofa shown on your diagram.....

My sony 820 auto calibrated no problem, but i swore i could hear a delay between right and left rear channels, so i reset it, and calibrated it myself....it now sounds as it should !

So, to cut a long story short, i'd go with your suggestion....if possible move the sofa away from the wall a little( or a lot if possible) to truly get the sound "behind you"

Other than that....brick up your window, plaster it, mount the tv where the window was, and then robert would be your fathers brother !

What amp receiver are you using, ....
HTH :smashin:

Thanks....I'm getting a Denon 2803, am yet to get it, but would like to do the whole set up one afternoon.

I don;t think the Denon has the auto set up.

Last edited:
hi there.

i have nearly exactly the same layout as you.....So, to cut a long story short, i'd go with your suggestion....if possible move the sofa away from the wall a little( or a lot if possible) to truly get the sound "behind you"

thanks. That's great.

And in terms of height in reference to ear level, what do you have?

Thanks....I'm getting a Denon 2803, am yet to get it, but would like to do the whole set up one afternoon.

I don;t think the Denon has the auto set up.

It has channel level and delay time setting (distance from listening position) though so that will do the trick :smashin:

thanks. That's great.

And in terms of height in reference to ear level, what do you have?

floor standers.....the tweeters are nearly exactly at MY ear height. woofers are above and below tweeter, so its all good.

i guess it all depends on the height of your sofa, your height.....as long as its roughly in the right place, you'll be happy with the results.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom