1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with pj mount appreciated

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by malariaboy, Jan 2, 2005.

1. malariaboy

malariaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    im after some advice from all the projector pros on here :)

ive ordered my hs 50 and im trying to sort screen and mount. ive been on projector central and im pretty sure with the throw ive got 11 to 13 ft im going to use a 179 x101 screen i:e 83 inches diag. im hoping not to use to much zoom or lens shift. however i need to keep tight to ceiling to be wife friendly :p . ive looked at an lmp close ceiling mount and that gives me 11 cm to bottom of projector, im going for a beamax r-black screen and fixing it in floor of bedroom , so the actual projected top of the picture will be about 35 to 40 cm below ceiling. can anyone give me any helpp as to wether this is going to be ok. Any help is very appreciated as i want to order screen and mount as soon as poss

many thx darren

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    With vertical lens shift it shouldn't be a problem at all, typically units can shift the image half or three quarters the height of the screen which in your case should be more than enough to play with....PJ

3. ROZ

ROZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What are the recommended low profile ceililng mounts as above. I also need mine close to the ceiling for "wife friendly" reasons. :blush:

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Depends on how much you want to spend. I tried for a Vogels on ebay but they wouldn't bite for the sort of money I was prepared to pay. Ended up making one myself out of a piece of MDF for less than a tenner...PJ

5. keylion

keylion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I haven't even bothered with a mount for mine. I have fixed it directly to the ceiling. My ceilings are very low so any form of ceiling mount would of meant that the projector would of look a bit out of place due it being too low.

I simply took the floor up upstairs (directly above where the projector was going to go), marked the location of the mounting holes on a piece of timber (I used a pine shelf from B&Q) and cut this piece of timer to fit between my floor joints. I just sat this on some batterns secured to the joists and then drilled through the holes and then through the plasterboard ceiling. I then bolted the projector in place from above whilst a mate held it in position.

There are no vents on the bottom of a TX100 so I could not see a problem with doing this.

Pics as follows:

Attached Files:

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Well done, a very neat job. I thought I was the only one who went for this fixed approach (you can sort of make it out from my thumbnail pic - hanging from and exposed beam) , you have to get the projector perfectly square to the surface you are projecting on - this was the most difficult aspect. Once you've done that the optical lens shift does the rest!
    I too used a piece of floorboard but improvised as a sliding clamp so I can easily take it down by myself - I'll take a couple of closer pics tonight if anyone's interested.
    Cheers...PJ

PS notice you have a DVI link, how long is the run? I'm a bit worried about going in this direction, I would need approx 12.5m cable length and suspect it may end up looking worse than component progressive...

7. keylion

keylion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I agree that getting the projector level was fairly difficult. I did have some adjustment once it was installed through either tightening or slackening the mounting bolts. The only problem was that as it was fixed from above I had to keep running p and down stairs to check how much more adjustment was required. Worth it in the end though.

I have a 5m DVI cable. To keep it as short as possible I had to drill through all the floor joists from the projector to the cupboard under the stairs where my HTPC is situated. This wasn't easy as I had to make the holes big enough to get the connector on the end of the cable through.

During my research on DVI cables the general consensus was that 7.5m was a maximun unless you used a very high quality cable where lengths of 10m of even 15m may be possible. I got mine from Lindy who do have DVI cables on their website upto 25m! I guess if it doesn't work you may be able to return it.

Link for Lindy as follows: http://www.lindy.com/uk/catalog/14/04/02aa/index.php

Wouldn't mind seeing a bigger picture of your installation if possible.

KL

8. ROZ

ROZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yep, I'm like to see more of PJs set-up too. Problem I've got is that there are some halogens spots in the ceiling so I need to assess whether these would impact with a surface mounting. :rolleyes:

Referring to Malariaboy at the top of this thread, I'm thinking about setting everyhting up and beaming onto our off-white wall before deciding whether to or the size of a screen :smoke:

9. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Pics as requested. Main aim was to make something strong but easily removable, and as small a drop as poss - this is 1" drop.

12mm MDF cut into rectangle just larger than the 3 feet, rounded corners, paint matt black, drill holes for bolts (larger then required to allow few mm adjustment), screw & glue short length of floorboard to top, cut equiv length floorboard in half, screw two halves to beam (countersunk holes so screws don't stop it sliding), slide in, job's a good 'un - you could literally swing from this! :thumbsup:

From below you can only see the MDF, not the floorboard mounting. I'm happy with it. As I say, main prob is lack of adjustment but with optical lens shift that's not an issue....PJ

PS Roz of you want to see something adjustable and a little lower have a look at Gary Lightfoot's site - it's here I got the idea for the MDF mounting.

Attached Files:

10. keylion

keylion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Very neat soloution PJTX. I especially like the mounting using the T&G - very easy for removal as you say. Looks good from below where you can't see the boards.

KL

11. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Cheers.

Someone mentioned the idea of using a small LCD TV wall mount as a bracket, that sounds interesting as it would be both adjustable and hopefully close fitting. If I upgrade, or we move house (or both!), I may look at that option. For now though it's perfect for what I need.

I still chuckle at the thought of you running up & down the stairs, moving it a few mm at a time, to get the picture spot on!

Nice one. :smashin: ...PJ

12. ROZ

ROZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  13. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Keylion & pjtx100
    What a clever idea for mounting your pj's !!! they both look f*****G sex!!!! :clap:

14. GliderRider

GliderRider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Totally cool idea! wish I'd thought of that. However, I got a the short Vogel mount for £100. A quality PJ Mount, really pleased with it. But my Screenplay 7200 has a big image offset which means I have to tilt the PJ up a few degrees to point at the ceiling to get the right screen height (looks weird!). I'm trying to figure out if I can shift the image vertically.

15. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
  16. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Yes, that's the one I nearly bought, looks nice!
    That is a bit weird, unless the walls / ceilings aren't true (like my very old house!!)...PJ :)

17. ROZ

ROZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Don't start me on un-sqaure walls and ceilings. You measure everything up assumping it's all square and then spend ages (or starting again) to make-up or cut-in. A friend of mine that does floors and walls says it's even worse on most modern houses though! :zonked:

18. ROZ

ROZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That title will get people thinking :D
    Got mine from US (via EBay) inside 5days for ~£25. Looks great :thumbsup: .
    Will try to fit at the weekend and report back.

Best news is the total cost of my PJ from the US :clap: but that's another thread...