• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help with pioneer VSX-817 setup please

spudgun01

Standard Member
Hi all,

I've got a Pioneer VSX-817 amp connected via optical to a Samsung BD-P1580 Blu-Ray Player & my self-built Media Centre PC and coax to a SkyHD box.

The speakers I have are Acoustimass 6 (5.1) home cinema speaker system (I know some people look down on these, but overall I've been happy with them and they are small so increase the WAF!)

While the VSX-817 is great, there are such a belwildering array of options that I'm lost! I'm a self confessed tinkerer and so I just cannot leave the automatic settings alone!

I'll be honest, the manual means almost nothing to me, there are so many settings that I'm not sure which is the perfect set-up!?!

I currently have the amp set on Neo:6 Cinema as all of the movies I watch are in DTS or DD and it would appear from the manual this is the setting to use? Correct?.

I'm finding that the trebles/vocals are a bit "muffled" especially from the centre speaker; I seem to be losing the high frequencies with speech. I've even tried to adjust the equalizer, but I'm not sure of the settings!
Granted, my room is probably not the perfect environment as it is rectangular with the TV/speakers in the corner and the surrounds behind the sofa.

Please could anyone give me any pointers?

spudgun01

Standard Member
can anyone not help me? not even some general setup pointers or an explanation of some of the surround modes of the receiver?

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom