Help with-Pioneer 720

steve1966

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Just purchased a Pioneer 720, only one problem so far -
The machine will not play dvd-r (movies, home vids etc) I have tried all the top brands of disc with things recorded on them but to no avail.
My old pioneer 5100 played them no problem.
Can anyone advise me whether it is a new move buy pioneer to stop people watching copies or do i have a faulty machine.
Please help me.

Steve1966.

steve1966 said:
Hi guys,
Just purchased a Pioneer 720, only one problem so far -
The machine will not play dvd-r (movies, home vids etc) I have tried all the top brands of disc with things recorded on them but to no avail.
My old pioneer 5100 played them no problem.
Can anyone advise me whether it is a new move buy pioneer to stop people watching copies or do i have a faulty machine.
Please help me.

Steve1966.
Were they recorded on the 5100? If so, have you finalised them?
If they are not finalised you will need to go back to the recorder that produced them and finalise them.
Generally speaking, unfinalised DVD-Rs will only play on the machine they were recorded on, or others in the range from the same manufacturer (e.g Pioneer 420 or 520; 5100 may not qualify).

Thanks for your reply, none of them were done on the 5100 and all are finalized, since i had the 5100 i have also had a panasonic 85 some of the dvdr`s were done on the panasonic and the pc some are bought from forums but all play on my pioneer 575 , pc, yamada and other players that i have access to.
I am beat, the guy at pioneer says that they should play.
ta,
Steve.

steve1966 said:
Thanks for your reply, none of them were done on the 5100 and all are finalized, since i had the 5100 i have also had a panasonic 85 some of the dvdr`s were done on the panasonic and the pc some are bought from forums but all play on my pioneer 575 , pc, yamada and other players that i have access to.
I am beat, the guy at pioneer says that they should play.
ta,
Steve.
This may sound daft - but have you pressed the DVD button on the remote?

Otherwise there could be a problem with the machine. If you bought it retail it would be worth a trip to the shop with some discs, or you could contact your supplier.

When you say "the dvd button" i take it you mean for selecting the drive (dvd or hdd) the answer is yes. i have tried shop purchased dvd`s and they are fine.
I am going back to my dealer tomorrow, when i phoned him he said that pioneer are putting software in the machine to stop it playing copys ! He must think i came down with the last shower of rain, that would mean that thay would not play home movies etc, rather defeats the object of the machine.
Steve.

steve1966 said:
When you say "the dvd button" i take it you mean for selecting the drive (dvd or hdd) the answer is yes. i have tried shop purchased dvd`s and they are fine.
I am going back to my dealer tomorrow, when i phoned him he said that pioneer are putting software in the machine to stop it playing copys ! He must think i came down with the last shower of rain, that would mean that thay would not play home movies etc, rather defeats the object of the machine.
Steve.

Well, thats rubbish isn't it? Pioneer would never commit suicide like that. Well, I have a 420, having previously had a 3100. Everything I have that played on the 3100, plays on the 420. This includes home movies, stuff from the pc and stuff finalised on the 3100. I have had no problems whatsoever. Think you may have a duff machine

I have been back to my dealer (40 miles away) this morning my machine was faulty and i have been given a new machine.
Ta for your help,
Steve.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom