1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Pioneer 503HDE display

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by KillBill, Jul 30, 2004.

1. KillBill

KillBill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear all

I've only recently stumbled onto this excellent forum, and have spent quite some time looking through all the threads, trying to understand all there is to understand about the complex word of doublers/scalers... only to become quite lost

The reason I came looking is because of a desire to make full use of my plasma display.

I've recently bought a Denon DVD-A11 dvd player (in replacement of an old Pioneer 767 that stopped working suddenly). I can't for my life figure out how to connect the dvd player to my plasma via the dvi output. I've tried every cable I could find from PC world/Maplin (all types of DVI to DVI + DVI to VGA) and have had no luck! Is this possible or have I wasted both time & money doing so?

If the above isn't possible, then I suppose a scaler of some sort might be the answer to my problems (from the reading I've done so far on this site). Can anyone suggest one, and the method of connecting it to my display.

Many many thanks!

[​IMG]

2. bryeden

bryeden
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have you enabled HDMI on the Plasma under Options on the menu?

3. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I haven't got a Pioneer plasma but doesn't it have an HDMI input ?

Speak to someone like Joe @ www.tmfsolutions.co.uk (who is a regular visitor on these forums). I'm sure he will be able to help you with the cable you are looking for.

4. KillBill

KillBill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the 503HDE doesn't support HDMI (it's the model just before the current one)

5. bryeden

bryeden
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry - suffering from model dyslexia!!

6. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hi Bill,

I'm afraid you're limited to using the component video output of your A11 to get the best quality. Unfortunately your 504's media box will only accept an NTSC progressive scan (480p) signal - you would need to send it interlaced PAL (576i). With respect, I don't think the A11 was the best choice of player for your plasma. Hope this helps.

Steve

7. KillBill

KillBill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that..
    So what are my options now?
    A scaler of some sort feeding into the VGA port of the media receiver?

8. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hi,

I guess you could use a scaler to feed the VGA input, but have a go feeding it 480p or 576i through component and see how that looks first. Hope this helps.

Steve

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    KillBill

Your options are pretty limited with the R03 Media Box - using a scaler into the HD15 VGA input produces mixed result; if you send the Media Box 1024x768 from a Video Processor the Media Box thinks its a 'static' PC signal and gets unhappy when you send it moving images.

You can get great looking images using a Video Processor but every now and again with Camera pans (up/down/left/right) you get image 'shear' as the video processor in the Media Box doesn't know what to do with the fast moving Video image.

The problem is down to the Media Box undertaking Frame Rate conversion of 50 and 60Hz signals.

If your really wanting to push your system I'd be tempted to find a new home for your PDP-433HDE and order a 43MXE1 Display model - if your 03HDE is in good condition it wont cost you much to exchange models; though there is still a fly in the ointment in that the 43MXE1 is not HDCP compatible whilst your DVD-A11's Digital Video socket will output HDCP with all copyrighted discs.

Best regards

Joe

10. KillBill

KillBill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the replies..

It basically looks like I'm stuck for the forseeable future - I don't think my wife or my bank account will allow me to get another 50 inch plasma to replace my current model.

Just how good is the picture via DVI/HDMI anyway (as compared to one via component inputs) ?

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    KillBill

Keep in mind HDMI is a pipeline - its not a video standard or signal.

Connecting two devices together via DVI or HDMI can be as troublesome (actually more so) than any analogue signal and the image displayed is as much dependant on the processing at the send and receive end of the HDMI pipeline as it is with an analogue signal.

Not all HDMI capable devices are created equal.

With the very best HDMI equipped players and displays you get a very 'clean' looking image with less 'noise' than you except with analogue; though your still relying on the source or display to undertake decent deinterlacing, motion, colour control etc.

Ensure you have a decent set of Component video cables between your DVD player and the R03 Media Box and take some time tweaking your system using a set up disc or pay for a professional ISF Calibration and you'll be ensuring your seeing your current display at its optimum settings.

Best regards

Joe

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    The Iscan HD may solve your issues, I dont deal in Pio but the iscan running 1080i works very well with the 504. Hope to see the results on a 42 and PJ. But something to consider see the DVDO site and there is a review here: http://www.projectorcentral.com/dvdo_iscanHD.htm PJ based but gives you an idea of what it will do.

13. KillBill

KillBill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the link.. lots more reading to do!