1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Pioneer 420

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by double_full, Oct 4, 2004.

1. double_full

double_full

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having, shall we say, "teething problems" with my Pioneer 420.

The main I reason I bought a DVD recorder was to transfer my rather large collection of gymnastics (don't ask) tapes to DVD. I decided on the Pioneer because of its ability to record in PAL, NTSC and SECAM, which is pretty essential when you hve amassed a collection of tapes from all over the world.

Anyway, after wiring it up properly to the TV and VCR, and putting a tape in to burn it to the HDD I notice that the quality of the picture that is burned is horrible! Flickery lines and an unstable picture was the result, and neither of these problems are on the original tape.

A bit disheartened, I try to burn a newer NTSC video (using an NTSC VCR) onto the Hard Drive. This time, the picture is blurred and vibrates so much that it gives you a headache.

As these are just things recorded from TV, they have no macrovision signal, and besides, the problems that are occurring are different to the ones that Macrovision cause.

Any suggestions? The tapes -are- old, and some of them have been copied numerous times, but my friend who has a Panasonic DMR-E85 has reported no problems whilst converting her 20 year old collection to DVD.

2. double_full

double_full

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Umm, there was a big thread on the Pioneer 420 so I'm presuming quite a few people have it...absolutely no suggestions?

3. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It seems that you are trying to record an NTSC VCR tape to NTSC format on HDD or DVD, either from a VCR that is dual standard or a purely NTSC VCR.

Then (presumably) you are viewing the result on a PAL TV. Do you need NTSC on the HDD/DVDs?

When the VCR is playing to the 420, what is the picture like when you tune your TV to the 420's AV input? If it looks OK then it should record what you see, indicating the problem is in the playback process.

Without having tried any of this, the 420 manual suggests that you have to make sure all the settings from record to playback are compatible, including your TV.
    For examle, if your TV is NTSC compatible, you set the 420 "NTSC on PAL TV" to OFF;
    If the TV is not NTSC is not PAL compatible you set it to ON. (Page 103) so that the 420 will do the conversion for you instead of leaving it to the TV.

By the way, althought there are two NTSC systems (3,58 and 4.43) these are the same on VHS tapes. The 420 uses 3.58 but 4.43 isn't mentioned.

I've found it useful to have a downloaded .PDF copy of the manual on my PC - this is much easier to search for all references to, say, NTSC than using the hard copy. The manual is available on Pioneer's website.