1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Picture

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by abay710, Jan 3, 2005.

1. abay710

abay710

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought myself a new 32" LCD TV. I am generally happy with the picture, however I would say that the picture is not as sharp as what it was with my old CRT screen.

I am a complete new comer to this, so perhaps I have not got it connected up correctly or set up correctly.

I have Sky and have it connected to a STB Scart on the TV from the TV on the Sky box

I also have a DVD recorder and have it also connected by RGB Scart.

A couple of questions. The scart leads that I have are just cheep ones that have come with with a DVD payer or a Sky box or something. Does a more expensive scart really make a big difference.?

Also the DVD recorder that I have has component out put and my new LCD has the inputs, would I be better using these rather then the RGB Sky?

Any ideas on how to get rid of the slightly blurry picture I have from Sky

cheers

2. ginger

ginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    These things can take a fair bit of toying with the settings before you're happy with it. I bought the DVE set up DVD from Pierro Milano (see DVD forum) and though a lot of it is aimed at CRT, it does give you some very useful test cards for setting brightness, contrast & colour - I'm very happy with the results. As for SCART cables, yes they do make a difference. I would recommend IXOS or QED cables. You might spend about £60 getting decent ones but I think they're worth it. The noise on my Sky picture disappeared after getting these. You are still left with a fairly crap picture from the poorer channels, but I'm happy with what I can get from the main channels - there's not a lot you can do with the source until HDTV comes in.

3. MattCupra

MattCupra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I picked up a copy of Computer Shopper recently when I was in the US because it had a set up guide for LCD TV's, the article is available on their web site

http://shopper.cnet.com/4002-7409_9-5614590.html

Haven't been able to try it yet as I'm waiting for my TV to arrive. :clap:

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Abay,

If you can connect via Component leads, then do so. Chances are this'll allow you to display a Progressive Scan picture providing you DVD outputs it and your TV can process it.

You can easily obtain vastly superior Scarts to the cheapies you now have by checking out www.tvcables.com They have a particularly good mid quality scart for £5.99! Not as good as the Ixos's and the likes, but quite serviceable.

It would help if you told us what TV you're trying to extract this picture from. Many of the Forum members could have assorted tricks up their sleeves for specific units.

Jimmy