• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help with photo

Chubster

Established Member
Hi was out playing today and got meself all confused :facepalm:
What should I have changed to get all three dogs in focus ?

help with focus by ob1chubster, on Flickr

shotokan101

Banned
Smaller aperture (larger F Number) = greater Depth of Field = larger area in focus.... but smaller apperture = less light = longer exposure time required = blurred movement (unless you compensate by upping the ISO value accordingly - or using Flash....)..... but upping the ISO = more noise = poorer image quality.....

It's all a compromise - getting the balance "right" for each shooting situation and the effect you want to achieve..... ;)

Jim

Calzor Suzay

Established Member
I think it's mainly shutter speed at 1/80th then a bit of aperture, if you look at the ground it's in focus to pretty much the front of the second dog yet the first dog is blurred because of movement then the second and the last one would of been slightly out of focus anyway. Beyond that what Jim said :)

Chubster

Established Member
I had a play with shutter speed (just taking pictures of the ground in the same spot)

I tried at 1/1250th but obviously this came out basically black.....Now I realise this was way to fast a setting for this instance but this brings me to another question...Just exactly how bright would it have to be to use that shutter speed ?

shotokan101

Banned
I had a play with shutter speed (just taking pictures of the ground in the same spot)

I tried at 1/1250th but obviously this came out basically black.....Now I realise this was way to fast a setting for this instance but this brings me to another question...Just exactly how bright would it have to be to use that shutter speed ?

500 Watts minimum :rolleyes: :devil:

Jim

FazerThou

Prominent Member
I think you'll really struggle as your so close to the first dog. Another option would be to just get further away and crop the picture.

For example

50mm lens @ f5.6 and 1m from target = Depth of Field of 8.5cm
50mm lens @ f5.6 and 5m from target = Depth of Field of 2.3 metres

50mm lens @ f16 and 1m from target = Depth of Field of 24.7cm
50mm lens @ f16 and 5m from target = Depth of Field of 10.6 metres

hope that makes sense to you :)

ps..... according to my iphone :blush:

Last edited:

senu

Distinguished Member
Have you read the book Understanding Exposure?
It is not a problem to ask on here but if you have some understanding of how shutter speed, aperture and ISO work to control exposure, and how you can catch action or prevent ( or create blurred backgrounds) it makes the explanations easier

To get all 3 dogs in focus you would need a fairly narrow aperture. this would create a deep depth of fies making all 3 in focus. however if because of narrowing the aperture, you are reducing exposure, camera may ( depending on seting) reduce shutter speed this will then " blur the movt of the running dog" this blur may be seen as a soft image which is so , not because of not being in focus, but because of movt
If you fix the shutter speed and have a wide aperture, the only thing to get a well exposed image is to increase the ISO

Unfortunately if you are so close to the first dog it may be difficult to get a deep DOF anyway as it depends on distance to subject, focal length used and also aperture

In short you would struggle to get all those 3 running as they are in foucs from your shooting point

You may have got it with it with flash but flash also has a maximum shutter speed you can use it with

Last edited:

senu

Distinguished Member
stand back or zoom out, close down aperture and up ISO to compensate.

Is the answer
but
assuming the OP knows how ( it would seem he does ) to adjust these settings , explaining why they work would be even better

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom