1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with phillips 9509 setup/settings

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by rocco, Jan 12, 2005.

1. rocco

rocco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

I am slowly getting to grips with our new phillips pw9509.

Currently we get our tv picture from our Sky box. I'm using the s-video input on the side of the tv as opposed to scart as i am under the impresion s-video is slightly better than scart?

Because of this setup is there any way to set the tv to use 'side' input as its default setting for when the tv is switched on?

Secondly what is the difference between Pixel/Movie Plus modes and the 100hz mode. Does that mean Pixelplus modes are not 100hz? If someone could teach me about the difference between these settings i'd be grateful.

Other than that it seems to be just a case of messing about with the picture settings to get the best out of it. Are there any settings that definately seem to improve the picture or is it all personal taste?

Cheers,
    Tim

2. meath man

meath man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    USing the scart connection provides a far superior picture than that of s-video. Movieplus and pixel plus are 2 different forms of 100hz, movieplus should be used for films and arguably sport and pixel plus 2 for everything else. Can u tell me what watching soccer matches is like on your set?

3. rocco

rocco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Scart's the better one? right, i'll give that a try for sure then.

Okay so the setting '100hz digital scan' is basically the tv running on a 'basic' setting ie. without any sort of pixel enhancement?

Watching football on movie plus is pretty good. Slow motion and close-ups are very lush. Long balls are handled pretty well too, i can notice slight distortion when the camera moves quickly but by the end of watching my first game on the set i had gotten use to it all.

4. meath man

meath man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    yea exactly, did you try using 100hz digital scan for the soccer match?
    Is the sound good on your set? is the hypertext good-i.e is there no waiting for a text page to load? are you using a sky digital source-is the picutre quality good?

5. rocco

rocco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No must admit, didnt try the digital scan mode. Playing football on a playstation game though this morning i ended up switching it onto digital scan which gave a smoother but less clear picture.

Can't say about the sound, as sound comes out of the sky box via phono's straight into a surround amp and seeing as i'm currently just using a s-video cable there's no sound being input into tv to test it out.

Don't know about the hypertext either, whats that? i assume its a type of teletext, what channel do you get if on?

As i said we get picture from a sky+ box and when its good it's very good picture wise.

6. Sly Fly

Sly Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +718
    Please note that RGB Scart is better than S-Video which in turn is better than normal Scart. You must ensure you have a RGB capable Scart lead. Also, that it runs from an RGB socket from the source to a RGB socket on the TV.

I'm not familiar with the 9509 (even though my Dad's just ordered one!) so someone else will be able to tell you which sockets are which. To make matters even more confusing, you;ll probably have to tell your sky box that the output has to be RGB. Possibly.

7. rocco

rocco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey sly fly..

well to be honest i can't remember if its a rgb cable. i'm pretty sure it is though as it cost about £15 i think.. and it seems pretty substantial too.

Yeah! i think i read somewhere about setting sky to output in RGB and i'm pretty certain i plugged it into a RGB scart socket on the tv so yeah it seems all good.

With the sky box plugged in via RGB and s-video and flicking between the two inputs the colours looked much more natural through scart, through s-video it looked like the colour setting had been turned up by about 25.

Wicked, that means i've already improved picture quality, despite man-in-shop saying s-video was my best bet.