Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

help with PGQX300.4 settings

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by backtothefuture, Mar 20, 2003.

1. backtothefuture

backtothefuture

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello peeps :)

as some you may know I recently had an ICE installed ..

i got my Phoenix Gold QX300.4 bridged to two channels to give me 150W per channel to power my front Boston Acoustics FS60s (max 150W each)..

however I'm not too pleased about the sharpness/treble and even with the passive crossover settings at 0 Gain (as opposed to -2, -4) and treble turned to +7 on the Alpine 7894RB I find it just about satisfactory at a normal volume. Ofcourse the treble is much more noticeable at these settings at a high volume.

Overall I'm not too convinced of SQ as compared to the Kenwood comps I had since they gave me a sharper/crisper sound (I like my treble!) ... :(

The Bostons do perform extremely well (ie no distortion) at insane volume levels.. I faded all sound to fronts, maxed the volume knob, (though surprisingly it didn't blow my ears off at 150W!!) and there was no distortion.

But then again I'm not going to listen to the system at a high sound level just to get the treble buzz...!

I have attached pics of my amp setting below and would appreciate advice as to whether it's been correctly done and any tweaks for it ? (if pics don't show , please click on links)

Somehow I get the feeling that the **** of 'professional' installer didn't bridge my amp....

Maybe the whole system will really rock once I get my PG sub installed , right now all the bass is coming from my 6x9s and I suppose that makes the treble less noticeable..if that makes sense... ??

thanks in advance :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'll try and locate a manual and come back to you.
    But I,m sure something not right with the settings.

Mark

3. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Right the amp ain't set up right.

Firstly the amp is not bridged. I'ts still set up for 4 channels.
    You should connect to L+ and R- on the front terminals for one channel and L+ and R- on the rear terminals for the other channel to bridge the amp. The L terminals being + and R terminals being -.
    Secondly by the looks of the config switch you are set for LP (low pass) and should be set at BY (by pass).
    I also note that the coloured tracer on the speaker wire is wired to the negative make sure that it has been used used this way at the speakers as normaly you would use a cloured tracer as positive wire.

Hope you understand this if you don't or are unsure ask!

The manual!
    ftp://208.187.38.55/Phoenix_Gold/Manuals/Amplifiers/QX Black/

4. backtothefuture

backtothefuture

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks mate :smashin:

the amp is set to HP-LP (front-rear) , though rear shouldn't matter since nothing is connected to it!

someone on CAD told me to set it at HP-HP though I'm not sure what that'd achieve

if I set it at BY-BY , it'll by pass the internal crossovers (so what does that mean :confused: ) and hence give me a full range of frequencies.... how will that help in the SQ/treble dept? .. I thought only HP frequencies affected treble ? :confused:

As for the speaker wire connections, I will have them checked when I visit the ICE guy in a couple of weeks or so ..though if they were incorrectly connected, would not the speakers not work or give out noise?

:smashin: