Help with pf9986 cables

lee_d_m

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

First of all, I'd just like to say that I was directed to this site by some friends, and I have spent the last 3 days reading everything on here with a view to buying a new TV.

So, after changing my mind about 100 times, I've gone for the Phillips 32PF9986 LCD, whichI got for £1870 incl. Del ,, which seems pretty good to me.

Anyways, enough of my babbling, what I would like to know now is, what extra cables do I need, in addition to those I will receive.

I need to connect up, Sky+ and PS2, thats it ! Currently both are connected to my current TV via scart, however, I understand there are better ways to connect things together, so if you guys could advise me on this, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Lee

Actually, I don't think there is much else you can use. Certainly for SKY+ the best is the RGB SCART (Make sure you set the input to RGB and not Composite or S-Video).

When it comes to the PS2, you can get a component kit for it to enable the Progressive Scan, but Prog Scan games are few and far between. The PS2 isn't like the Xbox where the hardware does the scaling to 720p or 1080i, on the PS2 it's the software that determines this. Saying that, GT4 is supposed to have 1080i.

But, if you use the PS2 for DVD playing, then I think the Component kit will enable Prog Scan for the DVDs. Check before you dive in and buy it though. Other than that, it's an RGB Scart.

Richie.

Welcome to Club 9986 Lee d m!

As Richie says, there isn't much else you can do with what you've got. You'll need a decent Scart (www.tvcables.co.uk - £5.99!) and away you go!

The 9986 however really shines with DVD palyback and the good old PS2 struggles here a little. For only £49 at Tesco you can pick up a Tosh 240 Progressive Player which will transform your viewing experience.

OR..... Why not go for a Cinema System to compliment your new TV. I have the Denon DHT500 which is a combination DVD Player/Amplifier with all the speakers. Astonishing build and picture quality with proper 5.1 Cinema sound. (Which can be expanded to 7.1 if you want). £400 at Peter Tyson.

OR....The 9986 will handle a direct Digital input from the likes of the Denon 1910 DVD Player. This is the ultimate picture quality and is what these high end LCD's were made for!

FUN!

Jimmy

Thanks Guys,

Looks like I'm all set then, just need the TV to arrive now, I can't wait :)

thanks

Lee

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom