1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with PDP-434HDE and DV-868DVi

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ResB, Mar 30, 2005.

1. ResB

ResB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I just need something clarifying for me if you wouldn't mind.

I have a Pioneer PDP434HDE and a DV-868AVi DVD player which are connected via the HDMI socket.

I'm a little confused as to how this player scales the picture if I'm honest. Please correct me if I'm wrong but the Panel has a maximum resolution of 1024 x 768. So, on this basis is it fair to suggest that insofar as HDTV is concerned I should be able to display video at what is refered to as 720p. I believe this number refers to the vertical no of lines displayed. This makes sense as when I set the DVD player to 720p I get the two black bands at the top and bottom of the screen.

What I'm confused about is that last night I was messing with the settings. The DVD manual states that if I select a HDMI screen setting that the panel cannot accept the panel will just be blank and no picture will be shown. This is true having experienced this on a few occasions, however, last night I set the DVD player's HDMI output to 1080i. When I played the DVD (the Incredibles) it played fine and the Panel reported the picture as being played in 1080i mode. How is this possible if my Maximum resolution is 768 lines.

Is it that the 1080i is interlaced and really only showing 540 lines at any one time? This kind of makes sense but I couldn't notice a difference between 720p and 1080i if I'm honest. One would expect thaqt if my assumption regarding the 1080i is correct, this in theory should not be as good a picture as the 720p.

Does any of this make sense? Still confused!

Cheers all.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No, none of it makes sense, wish I could retire.... Right, the panel itself scales pictures to fit the 768 vertical resolution, the black bars are nothing at all to do with this, they are part of the picture in some films, to give the format you see at the cinema. Whatever res. you set the DVD to, the panel will scale. It does not accept 'native resolution' on the digital port. You are correct on the interlaced bit, but then there are so many dots and it does it so fast, it still looks pretty good. Check the manual for supported resolutions, as it's a pain when you press the wrong button and the picture disappears.

3. ResB

ResB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks MAW. I appreciate it. I didn't realise that some films have the black bands included!

I noticed if I played "Ice Age" I couldn't select either 720p or 1080i and I just got the black screen. SO am I right in saying that it also depends on how the DVD was recorded?

Cheers again. :thumbsup:

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No, it shouldn't do! Thats an R2 disc I presume, not that it should make a difference. Never come across that one. Most people decide which res they like best and leave it there, it should work with all discs.

5. ResB

ResB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Okay. Makes sense. I'll try it again tonight just to make sure.

Thanks again. :)

6. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    ResB

I have exactly the same set-up with the 434 and 868... You may also find the following useful (just in case..):

The plasma screen upscales and downscales depending on the input signal. It is better for the quality of the final displayed image to have as few as possible scale operations. One scale operation should be better than two. I have checked this again and again on the 434 plasma and, currently based on the DVDs we all have, a player outputting 720x480p/576p (PAL/NTSC) should provide the best picture quality and maximum amount of DVD data.

On the contrary if you set the player to output 720p (1280x720) the player will upscale the image from the DVD once and then the screen will downscale horizontally and upscale vertically to match its native resolution of 1024 x 768. So some picture information will be cropped from 1280x720 before it is scaled to 1024x768.

You can see more of that if you set the player to 1080i (1920x1080). The screen then downscales both horizontally and vertically and it is displaying interpolated data instead of DVD data and the picture looks softer.