1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with PC editing

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by StevieC, Jul 26, 2002.

1. StevieC

StevieC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just purchased a Panasonic NV-GS5B (excellent buy at £609 from Empire Direct) and now that I've had a play about with it I want to move onto the next step of video editing on the PC.

The instructions are pretty vague about this and I was wondering what I need to allow me to do this.

The camcorder came with something called Arcsoft Photoimpression software and a USB lead but (as far as I can gather from the instructions) these seem to be for editing photo's from the SD card.

Do I need to invest in additional PC equipment/software to allow editing of DV tape?

2. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You need plenty of hard disk space, a Firewire card and some software. (Assuming your PC is of fairly recent vintage with at least 128 and preferably more MB of RAM.

You could do worse than order a D-Link FIrewire card from Scan www.scan.co.uk for around £20 including rudimentary video editing software. (Cable included)

Do a search on this forum if you want more initial information.

If you are more ambitious, with a bigger budget, post again.

3. StevieC

StevieC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice.

I searched back through the forum and came across a similar thread where someone was talking about Pinnacle DVclip software complete with firewire card so I've ordered it up from dabs.co.uk.

I do have 128Mb of Ram and about 10Gb spare on a 15Gb hard disk, do you think that'll be enough?

Certainly not going to get too ambitious at this stage though. :(

4. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The only way to find out is try it. To be honest, 512MB of RAM with a separate 7200 rpm hard drive is the way to go. Processor speed is less of an issue but something around 700MHz or better would be safer.

If you are putting DV on your system drive, be careful. Avoid filling up more than 80% or you may run into operating system unpleasantnesses, or at the least performance degradation.

DV will use up disk space at the rate of 1GB every four minutes.

With fast 7200 rpm IBM and Seagate drives now as low as £100 for 120 GB this should not be a big obstacle.

5. Mujja

Mujja
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Most firewire cards will come with some sort of free DV editing software. Also make sure the firewire card come bundled with a cable, the cable could cost an extra £10+ on its own.

Like Dubbing Mixer says, you really should get a seperate 7200rpm HDD. When capturing DV the disk fills up quick, and if your OS is on the same disk it could cause problems.

Not only do you need freespace to capture, you also need freespace to cut/edit the video and finally save in a useable format, e.g. MPEG, AVI, Realvideo etc.

You could try a free 30 day trail of Ulead Videostudio, this allows you to capture in a variety of formats which means you dont need as much freespace. If your have WinXP you could use the included Movie Maker. This also allows you to capture in number of different formats.

If like me you want to capture in DV format (no picture loss), edit the video and then save as MPEG 2 you will need atleast 20GB - 30GB free.

A 40Gb 7200rpm HDs can be picked up for £50, check scan.co.uk Today Only offers. Another £20 for a firewire card. Free trial software from Ulead. And lots and lots of time.