1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with parts list for a Multi Function HCPC...

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by oreoboy13, Jun 7, 2002.

1. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been reading and researching for a while now and have decided to do the following;

I have asked Allders to come and get my Tosh42WH18B, and I will be spending the money on a Panny AE100. I have also decided to feed the PJ not with my 2 month old DV88 but with a HCPC.

I would like to use it as the following;

DVD player
    PC i.e. Games, E-mails, web browsing
    Video Processor for; PS2 and TV
    Video Recorder

It would also be good if I could not only output the above to the PJ but to a 28” TV in the same room, so I can have a 5 min blast on the PS2.

As I said I have been researching and now have a basic understanding of the required software and some of the principles involved, I have complied the following relevant hardware from my current PC

Motherboard: ATX Asus A7V Ultra DMA/100 4xAGP, 5-PCI, 1-AGP, 2 USB
    Processor: AMD 1 GHz T-Bird
    Memory: 512MB PC133 SDRAM, via 2 Single dimm
    Hard Disks: Ultra DMA 100 60GB IBM 75GXP
    Ultra DMA 100 75GB IBM 75GXP
    Hard Disk Controller: On Board

Now I am having trouble deciding on some final parts;

Sound Card;

I already have a PCI creative SB live Platinum, but after reading up I have discovered that there is a serious problem with re-sampling, I have a Denon AVC-11SR so I only want to pass through DD/DTS etc, but still have functionality with games etc, but would still like very high performane ?

Graphics Card;

I have a AGP 3D Prophet 2 GTS 64 Mb Nvidia TV & DVI out, however it would seem that the ATI cards are better for HCPC and there is some jutter problems with the Nvidia.
    The card needs to be Dscaler compatible and the best for performance. Any suggestions for the best Card?

Capture Card:

I presume I need one of these to use the PC as a scaler and Video Recorder for TV and PS2, I am presuming getting the card separate to the graphics card would give me better performance?

DVD player:

I have a 12x DVD Toshiba Software Decode, is it worth getting the Panasonic 106?

Case:

I am trying to find a Desktop case that looks really cool, same width as my Denon and hopefully in silver, I have a hard time finding one so any suggestion would be good?

Quieting Equipment;

Full plethora of quiet PC equipment, hardrive cases, Coolers, and sound deadening material. Not sure which is the best PSU as there seems to be mixed opinions?

If you have read this far I would like to thank you very much, I am sorry if I have missed any previous posts with these answers already on them.

Any suggestions and/or help would be really appreciated, pleases point out anything of any relevance i have alot to learn :)

I am more concerned with performance than price and am really looking forward to putting this together.

2. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have i made a faux pas?

:)

3. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    On the case front I am not sure I have ever seen an aluminium desktop case, the best you are likely to get is midi tower.

Check out www.coolermaster.com for some ideas.

The ATC 600 is most likely your best bet, but it may cost a lot, would likely have to order directly from them.

4. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i`ve got the asus m`board and would suggest looking at something with pc2100 memory instead.....(gigabyte do one with on board sound for about £60) - could use on board digital out to av amp, and still use sblaster for surround gaming via analogue inputs on amp?

for games - dunno if radeon 8500 drivers are fixed yet(re:gamma -avs america seem to suggest so), but this would be a good "all rounder"

dscaler compatible vid-in cards is what you want - do a search on this section

easiest way to do the ps2 into tv/ hcpc is probably to run through your av amp - s-video - monitor out to hcpc, video 1/2 etc out to tv......

personally i use my video for tv channels via dscaler, and ignore the capture cards own software..

btw - is it not the pioneer 106s?(dvd) if so just make sure that your dvd can be set to all regions..........(firmware hack) -if you wanna play any region dvds.

re: cases - god knows - most flashy ones look nice but are actually crappy plastic up close - i am planning to put an ally fascia on my current desktop atx case(when i get the time/cash...)

hope this helps

rob.

5. Caveat

Caveat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got a seagate barracuda HD and I cant hear anything from it at all - almost spooky. Gets about the same spec/price as the IBM.
    As stated above, your capture card needs to be DScaler compatible, Dscaler doesnt really care what vga card you use. Good news is DScaler works with cheap capture cards. I use a Hauppauge one.
    I dont know about your proj, but PowerStrip is often needed to get the output resolution / timing to get the best from your proj. This works well with the Radeon cards - I use a VE because it doesnt have a fan but I then always die before level 2 with any gpu card!
    To use it for PVR you cant have too much power - apparently the latest Athlons and P4s will do full frame DivX in real time, but to be honest its cheaper to get a bigger HD, capture with less compression to a temporary file and recompress when youre not using the machine.
    Intel cpus are cooler (= less fan noise) but cost more for the same power (some claim intel give less trouble).
    Personally Ive sacrificed power for noise and Im still working to get it quieter!
    Have you thought about wireless KB and Mouse, gives you much more freedom in where the PC goes and is generally tidier. Could be a lot cheaper to put the PC in a cupboard (ventilated) - you can spend a lot on a pretty case and quiet fans etc.
    Sounds like you're close to a very nice setup.