1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help With Panny TH42PW6B

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by GStormcrow, Mar 18, 2005.

1. GStormcrow

GStormcrow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hey. First post here :hiya:

I am thinking of buying this plasma:

http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/Viewproducts.asp?CatID=8&ProductID=4093

I have never bought a plasma before and was just wondering if someone could help me with my setup. Here's a few questions

1: Is this a good screen. Pros / Cons

2: What extras will I need to connect the following:
    Playstation 2
    PC (Radeon 9800 Pro All in Wonder GFX)
    Creative DDTS-100 Decoder ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...60782-5611050?_encoding=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE )
    and Creative GigaWorks S750 7.1 Speakers ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...60782-5611050?_encoding=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE )

3: Will the picture quality be good enough to replace my Samsung Syncmaster 710N monitor

My gfx card has a built in tv tuner so I can watch tv on my monitor. So I'm guessing that if I can use this plasma as my monitor then I wont need a tuner. Like I said I am new to this and that is the setup I am thinking of getting. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

2. GiZZeRR

GiZZeRR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought I'd say I have just bought the same plasma from them in Edinburgh but the black one instead of silver surround.

Doing a major shift of amp,dvd etc to opposite side of the room to where I have mounted my screen and couldn't wait to get all the speaker wires re-routed under the floor so just turned the plasma on to see what the picture was like after I mounted it on the wall.

Bloody hell !!!!!!!! it is fantastic :clap: I have Panny E55 dvd recorder and sky +. Fed the 10 meter component cable from the TY-42TM6Y component board I fitted to plasma to the E55, good scart from Sky+ to E55 and s-video from E55 to plasma component board.

Don't know if this is the best way to do it but I fail to see how I can get a better picture doing anything different. Sky+ is way better than my Tosh 28"" wide screen and I have The Rock playing on DVD just now(no sound yet though) :rolleyes: and it looks superb.

I'm going to be getting an Xbox to connect to it so need to look into connections for that but I'm sure if you go for either the series 6 or 7 then you will not be dissapointed.

BIG thanks to all on the forums who answered any questions I had over the last month and helping me decide which plasma to go for. Best £1099 I have spent in a long time. :smashin:

John

3. GStormcrow

GStormcrow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah it seems like a good screen from the spec list. Only thing is that I heard it has very limited connections. Want to make sure its compatible with my other stuff before I buy it and if it's not then what I will need to get to connect my other bits to it.

I dont have sky digital or anything just a regular analogue pipe connection which will plug into my graphics card. So it really has to work with my PC

4. GiZZeRR

GiZZeRR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes from Richer sounds it doesn't come with any boards just the PC D sub 15pin but sound like thats all you need.....sure someone else will come in with suggestions.

John

5. GStormcrow

GStormcrow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thats what I was hoping as I was hoping my graphics card could act as the tuner instead of buying the extra connection for it. Only thing is I'm not sure how it will function as a monitor. The resolution seems a bit low. I have mine set to 1024 x 768 on my pc. Hopefully someone will have some experience in these.

Also came across this on my search

http://www.krishav.co.uk/store/cat.asp?idCategory=496

Now I'm wondering whether to go for the PW6 or PW7 or which will suit my setup better. They seem to be cheaper on that site than on RS so I can afford to go for the PW7 from that site if it is the better option. Also has anyone used that website before? Reliable?

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Krish are not unknown, others have used them to no ill effect AFAIK. Due to the low res the PW7 is not the ideal pC plasma, but if it's what you can aford then there are several threads about other PC users connecting them. When I do it I generally use 1280/720 as the PC res, this give no aspect ratio disortion. Some gfx cards now have this listed as a standard res, others you may need a free program called powerstrip, google for this. There is little difference to you between the 6 and 7 series plasmas, the 7 has a few more input boards available, and better implementation for the DVI board. I think I'd go for that if the price is good.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215