1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Panny E30

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gram99, Feb 5, 2003.

1. gram99

gram99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased an E30 today to archive my Sky+ recordings onto disc. Is there any way to archive them whilst viewing another channel on Sky? Whenever I use the copy button it will only allow me to view what the Sky+ Box is outputting to the Panny. The Panny is reording it no problem but I like the idea of archiving whilst I am watching something else. Am I barking up the wrong lampost?

cheers

Gram99

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, there's no chance of that I'm afraid. There is only one decoder in the box. I do mine overnight and before I set off for work in the morning.

DaveP

3. gram99

gram99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Dave.

I thought there was two decoders in the Sky+ box? When you archive from sky+ does the queing systems work well?

4. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    There are 2 tuners, but the programs are stored in encrypted form, and only one decoder, hence only one can be decoded and output at any time. No reason though why you can't record a program whilst you are archiving to watch later?

A lot of poeple have been caught out by this, ie record a film and try to watch it after downgrading your package. You are no longer able to decrypt and view the film you recorded at a time when you had paid to be allowed to watch it

5. gram99

gram99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, could anybody give me a quick rundown on how to hook up my connections. i am slightly confused as I want to be able to archive to DVD in RGB. My kit is: TV with two scarts though only 1 is RGB. Sky+ Box, Panny E30 and a Denon 1802 amp. What setup would allow me to watch sky in RGB watch DVDs in RGB and record onto DVDs with RGB. I also have a scart switch box if that is needed and that is compatible with RGB.

cheers

Gram99

6. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you will not need to use your switch box

hook it up as follows

SKY+ TV Scart (RGB OUT) -> DVDR RGB IN AV2 -> DVD RGB OUT AV1 -> TV RGB IN AV1

This will allow you to watch in rgb through sky either by setting dvdr to AV2 whilst on, or by turning dvdr off, sky will then pass through dvdr in rgb

Make sure you have set sky+ and E30 to RGB in the set up menus

The VCR scart on the sky+ box is composite out only but it allows RGB pass through so you can attach an X-Box etc to the VCR scart and pass through an RGB signal through to the TV:devil:

7. gram99

gram99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers bobbles, what DVD-R discs have you found to be compatible and cheap? Also how do you go about archiving your Sky+ programmes as I see from an earlier thread u2 have Sky+ :)

8. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought 50 of the yellow Trax -R from bigpockets

less than 30, I work nearby though so I do not get chanrged P&P

I am using -R to archive a variety of progs I have taped recorded on sky+

This means I have to watch what I am recording in order to take off the ads, if only sky would allow a feature to do this automatically!

I am making sure that anything I want to archive I only watch when later when I can archive, never live.

The only way of editing out ads would be -RAM, expensive

buying a DVD ROM capable of reading -RAM
    then a DVD Writer capable of writing onto -R

again expensive but probably something I will do eventually as I would like some more interesting menus

The third option is to buy a cheap Panny DVD Player capable of playing -RAM

This would mean recording everything twice and a slight drop in quality

9. gram99

gram99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They don't seem to have those in stock at the mo, what abot the bulkpaq Gen 3 disks? Or are there any in stock you would reccomend?

thanks

10. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've heard bulkpaq are not best suited for dvd films

personally the other 50 in a tub would be better

11. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gram99 to answer your other question:
    It works very well, it starts with a screen which lists the programs that you have selected. Then, as each program starts it gives you a brief synopsis so you can see what it is called and is about etc. Sadly you only get one "lump" on the DVD so you have to skip forward and hour to get to a program an hour into the recording. I prefer to archive one program at a time, that way you get "Chapters" on the start menu so you can select which one you want.

HTH

DaveP

12. gram99

gram99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK cheers guys, I went and bought 5 eperformance discs to test them so we will see. I think I will probably try and archive one at a time too. Probably do it overnight.

13. gram99

gram99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well tried 2 eperfromance disks and they worked great. Hope they are all this good.