Help with Panasonic HS2 HDD and DVD Recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by kenfowler3966, Dec 17, 2002.

1. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    My machine arrived today and I have been playing with it, but have hit a snag.
    MY TV has only one RGB enabled scart, so I daisy chained the Sky box through the panny to the tv with all set to RGB. However no matter what channel is selected on the recorder, the recorder only records what the skybox is showing, unless it is off, which rather defeats the object of being able to record an analogue channnel whilst watching sky!
    Connect the dodgybox to the RGB scart and the panny to another scart with RGB off and a scart link between the two and everything then works fine.

Any way around this so that both can use RGB?

What loss of quality recording and playing back without RGB?

Is there a ready reckoner to equivalent recording quality?

ie what extended record time mode is equivalent to a bought DVD, Video, Video of air etc?
    What setting should I use to retain the quality of DV camcorder footage

2. lumpsucker

lumpsucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Ken,

I had the same problem, only one out of my 3 TV scarts is RGB and of course only one of the digibox scarts is RGB out. So you have to take the TV out scart on the digibox (RGB out) to the HS2 and loop that back to the RGB in scart on the telly. You must do it this way to get an RGB recording on the HS2. You then have to take a cable out of the remaining scart on the HS2 into one of the other scarts on the telly so that you can watch a different channel on the digibox while the HS2 records an analogue channel. Only downside is that you cannot watch an RGB picture while recording another channel, but its the best you can do without switch boxes.

Hope it helps.

P.S. do you get Lip Sync problems when watching sky looped through the HS2 ?

3. Spanglemaker

Spanglemaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have an HS2 attached to a Grundig DTT box and also get lipsync problems. If you turn the HS2 off you get a direct loop thru and the lipsync is ok.

4. lumpsucker

lumpsucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Re : Lip Sync

Yes, with the HS2 on standby evrything is fine and of course play back is also fine. I wonder wheher the lip sync prob is due to some kind of video processing going on in the HS2, similar to lip sync problems encountered with Plasma users due to the progressive scanning / de-interlacing that goes on. The U.S. version of the HS2 was advertised as a progressive scan device but not the UK version. I wonder whether the circuitry is the same but the lack of component output negates this ? I'm not a Prog scan expert but there must be some processing occuring to account for the video delay.

Any thoughts welcome.

Cheers

5. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14

6. lumpsucker

lumpsucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Ken,

Both Scarts on the HS2 are RGB enabled so you take the TV out scart from the digibox into the decoder scart on the HS2 then the TV out scart on the HS2 is connected to your single RGB enabled scart on the telly. This gives you full RGB recording and playback. The remaining scart on the digibox can be connected to any spare scart on the telly and this means you can watch SKY while your HS2 is recording another channel. No Switches or adapters required.

Cheers

Simon

7. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    But that is effectively what I did, except the other scart went via a video recorder to the tv.
    With that set up, if the sky box is switched on, no matter what channel is selected on the panasonic, the output from the skybox is what is actually recorded.

You probably wouldnt notice until you try and record a terrestrial channel whilst watching a sky channel, or failing to switch off the dodgybox.

8. lumpsucker

lumpsucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    We must have some kind of menu setting diferrent as I can assure you that I watched the football on SKY on wednesday an recorded Taggart on ITV.
    If I can sus it I'll give you a shout.

cheers

9. kdp99

kdp99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Ken

Check how AV2 is set on the HS2, if it is set as 'decoder' you will get that problem you describe, change it to 'normal' and it should be OK.

Let me know how it pans out

Keith

10. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Tried it set to normal and then works ok. BUT, it then blocks all skybox signal whilst recording even from sky when using the timer. Put it back to decoder and it only records sky and passes it through no, matter what the recorder is doing.

I have resigned myself to the non rgb connection and the panny into a seperate scart which in all other respects works perfectly.

Hace to admit I have been trying rgb and non rgb signal type and can see little difference anyway.