Help with Panasonic EX77EB Please?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stiscooby, Sep 22, 2007.

1. stiscooby

stiscooby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have recently got one of these DVD recorders and I am having problems with the HDMI connection, well possibly?

I have it plugged into one of the HDMI ports (HDMI1) on my Toshiba 32WLT68 TV and I have watched a DVD on it via the HDMI port already but went to watch another one and now I cannot seem to get any picture when I select the HDMI port on the TV?

I have been into the DVD Recorder setup menu and went to "HDMI Settings" but the options now seem to be faded out so I cannot change any settings, as it's currently set to 576p/480p (i have factory reset to recorder to see if this made any difference, but didn't). Now I know I have been able to change this setting before because I increased this to 1080i to match the setting/spec of the TV, but now for some reason I cannot even change any of these settings??

I have tried putting the HDMI cable into another port on the DVD but I still get no picture, as soon as I change the AV channel to AV1 I can then see the DVD playing.

Could it be a fault with the HDMI connection on the recorder, or is there something I am missing?

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,095
    The TV may need resetting.

HDMI is a 'hot plug' interface. If you disconnect it at the TV and reconnect it should re-initialise.

It might work / might not.
    If not, try turning the set off, disconnecting HDMI . Set On - Then reconnect.

If still no results, investigate in the TV manual the setting up requirements / resetting of HDMI.

3. stiscooby

stiscooby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well i have had another look at this today, borrowed another DVD player from my parents as that has an hdmi connection on it.

I had to use the same hdmi cable as i only have one but plugged the other player into the tv and get the same problem, i get no display when i select the hdmi input/port. I tried the other hdmi ports too but again, same problem.

Has anyone ever had a faulty hdmi cable before, wouldn't have thought anything could go wrong with them??

I dont seem to have any hdmi settings within the menu on the tv either so doesn't seem to be anything to change??? I have also tried unplugging the tv from the mains and trying it all again but no luck :lease:

4. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,095
    Are you selecting the HDMI input with the TV input selector.
    I note in your first post you referred to selecting AV1 ... when you should have been selecting HDMI 1

Note from page 6 of manual:
    To recall external equipment, press [ Arrow in button] select between
    DTV, EXT1, EXT2, EXT3C, HDMI1, HDMI2, HDMI3,
    PC or ATV.

5. stiscooby

stiscooby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes im pressing the button on the remote which scrolls through all the different inputs (circle with arrow going into it), PC/HDMI1/AV1 etc etc etc.

I select the HDMI1 option (which is then displayed in the top left hand corner of the screen) and its here where I get a blank screen. As soon as I press the same button and select 1 (which is AV1) I then see the DVD again.

6. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,095
    OK - so that is not the issue...

I have heard of HDMI cables inexplicably not working / being incompatible... so it would be handy if you could try another one some way ... However you HAVE had it working... so I suggest you might care to try resetting the TV first ... in the hope of clearing out any rogue settings which are preventing the HDMI interface working correctly.

See page 29 column 2 of the manual for information about resetting.

Good luck.

7. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,095
    Further to above ...it is no surprise that you cannot get access to any settings in the EX77... They only become available when the HDMI interface is initialised ... and obviously that is not happening for some reason.

8. stiscooby

stiscooby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ok thanks, I will try resetting the TV, although I had a look within the menu's on the TV but couldn't find any option for resetting it but didn't have the manual to hand so will take a further look.