1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Panasonic e95 High Speed Dubbing please....

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by PhilJW, Nov 26, 2004.

1. PhilJW

PhilJW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having swapped my Sony 900 for a Panasonic e95, can anyone explain the high speed dubbing to me......

According to the manual (if I am reading it right) if you high speed dub from the HDD to a DVD-R you keep all the chapter marks and thumbnails, maintain picture quality but cant use Flexible Record so it doesnt fill the disc space available.

If you set the dubbing speed to Flexible Record (ie 'real time') you lose the chapter marks and thumbnails (or they move) and you may suffer a loss in picture quality but you do at least fill the disc space.

All this is in the table in the manual comparing the two methods.

Am I reading this right? Surely you want no drop in picture quality, all the chapters etc in the right place AND flexible recording? Am I doing something wrong here........?

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,849
    I'm using FR to record from some old VHS tapes onto the HDD of my E85. I then create the chapters I want and the dub at high speed to the DVD-R - all the chapters are in the correct place for me. I haven't used Playlists at all, so I'm not sure if that introduces something different ?

3. PhilJW

PhilJW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats is exactly what I am trying to do (mispent youth collecting enormous amounts of videos!).

But this doesnt dub in flexible record mode does it? Only in XP/SP etc (ie the mode you recorded it in initially). Seems to defeat the object if you have a 2hr 10min film to dub it with all the chapters etc right you have to use a 3hr recording mode.

As an aside how do you find the picture quality on a VHS transfer? I have to say I think the Sony gives a better transfer. It was the chapter facility and flexible recording I wanted which is why I switched. However it now seems you cant have both........

4. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,849
    You need to set something in the setup of the machine to allow high speed dubbing, I need to look in the manual to find out what it is. I'm sure it comes with a leaflet separate to the manual to say you must set this in order to enable high speed dubbing. I didn't read it :blush: and the 1st few things I recorded to the HDD wouldn't high speed copy because of this.

5. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    When you dub from HD to DVD in high-speed mode there is no rate conversion. If your recording is small enough to fit then there will be some wasted space.

Using FR to dub from HD to DVD (don't you just love all these acronyms) is only useful if your recording is too big to fit on a DVD, otherwise you should just dub in the same format that you made your initial recording. FR will re-compress it as little as possible so that you lose as little quality as possible, but it can't do this in high-speed mode. If the recording was already small enough, FR would not increase the quality.

If you want to transfer from VHS to DVD with chapters you need to record from VHS to HD in FR mode. You choose this from the Functions menu and have to tell it how long to record for. What I do is memorise at what point the actual 'meat' of my VHS recording starts, call up the Functions menu on the Panny, enter the length of the VHS recording, start the tape playing and just before the 'meat' point I press OK to start flexible recording.

It will then record it at the best possible rate that will fit on a DVD and I can transfer it in high speed mode once I've set up the chapters.

So that's the key - you can only use high-speed mode if it doesn't need converting.

6. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phil, first switch DVD-R compatible mode on. Go into FR mode on the HDD and set 2hr 10min and press "start". Start playing the VHS tape. After 2hr 10 mins stop the tape. The FR recording on the HDD will stop automatically but you can stop/pause it manually if you like. Top and tail the bits you don't want using Partial Erase. Add chapter marks. Add a title. Dub to DVD-R in High Speed mode. On the DVD-R add a thumbnail & a disc title if you like. Then finalise the DVD-R.

Good luck!