Help with PAL aerial for Freeview - Please !!

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by paulgrommit, Aug 3, 2006.

1. paulgrommit

paulgrommit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there everyone

I've got a Toshiba 37WLT66 LCD, which I bought a couple of weeks ago. As I'm still not got Sky HD yet and am running SKY through an old type Panasonic box, the PQ for Sky is not fantastic, so I'm finding that I'm watching most programs through the built in Digital Freeview in the TV which has a better PQ at the moment.

My problem is that I have a Panasonic All in One Surround system, which has great sound quality (1000W), but using the built in Radio Tuner through the crappy aerial they give you, is not good and doesn't really work. So my plan was to bring the roof aerial (which is currently connected to the TV for Freeview), use a Phillips Y Splitter, similar to this http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/catalog/product.jsp?language=en&country=GB&catalogType=CONSUMER&productId=SWV2061_10_GB_CONSUMER, to send signals to both the TV and the Radio tuner. So the connections are as follows:

Aerial from roof into the bottom of the Y spliiter.
    1m cable from first connection at top of Y splitter into Radio Tuner
    4m cable from second connection at top of Y splitter into TV

All connections from the Y splitter are insulated with tape

However, since I have connected them all together, mainly on BBC1 and BBC2 the PQ has gone pixelated and unwatchable. I've tried putting quite a few layers of insulating tape around the Y splitter and all the connections in hope that it may solve the problem. It kind of works, but as soon as you let go of the cable and place it back behind my AV cabinet, it continues to happen.

Most of the other channels appear to be OK, but not BBC1 and 2. ?????

The only thing I can think of, is to put the roof aerial, back into the TV, and use the 4m cable to run from the Radio Tuner up to the highest point I can (which is probably fixed to the wall behind the TV) with some kind of aerial plugged into the end. !!

Does anyone have any ideas. :lease:

Thanks in advance

Paul

2. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,926
    Hi,

First off if you want to have good reception for your FM tuner you need an FM aerial on your roof. The normal "TV" aerials are not designed for radio.

Secondly I'd look at "diplexing" your FM signal onto the same cable as your TV signal (piggy back the signal in effect) and then un-diplex it in a wallplate designed for the purpose.

Have a read of this page and it may help understand how to combine your signals and then un-combine them in your house.

3. paulgrommit

paulgrommit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi and Thanks for your reply

The really annoying thing about this is that the Radio appears to pick up a fantastic signal and so does the TV if you don't view BBC.

From the website...

"A Diplexer is a form of "combiner/splitter" which only passes signals of certain frequencies through each leg.
    The most common use is to combine the signals from a UHF/TV aerial and a VHF/FM/DAB (radio) aerial onto one downlead. If required, this diplexed signal then can be fed through a distribution amplifier (or splitter if sufficient signal is present) to feed more than one point. At the other end, another diplexer should (ideally) be used to split the signal back into it`s constituent parts though one can often "get away with" just a splitter."

Would you know the cost of these splitters, the example on their site looks a bit on the expensive side for my requirement and potentially quite a job to install.

Paul

4. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,926
    Perhaps you may need an in-line amplifier as well if you are experiencing picture drop out. "Splitting" a signal will usually lose about 3dB in signal strength which is quite signficant.

Satcure have a diplex combiner for lss than £10 and you can get a diplex wallplate to split out the signals for about the same price.

Satcure also do the amplifiers too!

EDIT: Prices exclude delivery and VAT.

You may find cheaper ones at Maplins. But I think as always you get what you pay for!