Help with Packard Bell ixtreme x6620b uk

Oldhat

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a Packard Bell ixtreme x6620b uk, which has just stopped working. The last couple of times, when I switched it on it said the PC was not shut down properly and gave me the option to start Windows normally, or in safe mode. As I thought I had switched off the PC correctly I just started Windows normally. However, this morning it is only producing a continuous whistling/beeping noise but nothing is being displayed on the screen. Any idea what could it be - graphics card, the hard drive or something else? It won't accept the system repair disc I created in the early days. Any suggestions would be much appreciated... Thank you.

If it's not even showing the the first bootup screen (typically either listing the CPU/Memory etc. or showing a big manufacturer's logo) then it does sound like a hardware problem and software fixes like rescue disks won't help.

The good news is that it's not the hard drive, if it was just the hard drive that had gone then it would start as normal but then complain it couldn't find a system disk (or similar error message).

Unfortunately, it's hard to pinpoint what it could be. Power supply, CPU and Motherboard are good candidates but unless you've got spares it's difficult to test them. I'd probably disconnect the hard drive and other unnecessary hardware before starting it up again in case it is the power supply doing something funny.

Other than spares if you have them there's no harm having a look for anything obviously broken. A crack in the CPU (if you can see it under the cooler) or any crack, burst capacitors or other things that don't look right on the motherboard.

If you're confident with a multimeter you could have a go at checking the power supply is producing the right voltage but other than that and if you can't spot any faults I'd say contact packard bell or the local computer shop.

Unfortunately, it's hard to pinpoint what it could be. Power supply, CPU and Motherboard are good candidates but unless you've got spares it's difficult to test them. I'd probably disconnect the hard drive and other unnecessary hardware before starting it up again in case it is the power supply doing something funny.

Also CMOS battery can fail. Looks like large flat watch battery, usually a CR2025 or CR 2032. Try a new one.

Also CMOS battery can fail. Looks like large flat watch battery, usually a CR2025 or CR 2032. Try a new one.

In my experience that just causes the motherboard to stop remembering things (particularly the time) or issue a warning, have you come across motherboards when it'll stop the thing POSTing?

Yes, a 754 Athlon 64 board and a socket A board. Neither mainstream, one supplied by pc chips, the other a MSI ISTR. Just constant high pitched beep with no display.

Thank you all for your suggestions - much appreciated. This is what I did which worked and my PC is now up and running:- unplugged the PC from the main, opened the case, unplugged all supplies going to the hard drive and the motherboard etc, and plugged them again. Thank you all once again for your suggestions as they helped me to take these steps.

Thank you all for your suggestions - much appreciated. This is what I did which worked and my PC is now up and running:- unplugged the PC from the main, opened the case, unplugged all supplies going to the hard drive and the motherboard etc, and plugged them again. Thank you all once again for your suggestions as they helped me to take these steps.
-----------------------------

If it's not even showing the the first bootup screen (typically either listing the CPU/Memory etc. or showing a big manufacturer's logo) then it does sound like a hardware problem and software fixes like rescue disks won't help.

The good news is that it's not the hard drive, if it was just the hard drive that had gone then it would start as normal but then complain it couldn't find a system disk (or similar error message).

Other than spares if you have them there's no harm having a look for anything obviously broken. A crack in the CPU (if you can see it under the cooler) or any crack, burst capacitors or other things that don't look right on the motherboard.

If you're confident with a multimeter you could have a go at checking the power supply is producing the right voltage but other than that and if you can't spot any faults I'd say contact packard bell or the local computer shop.

In my experience that just causes the motherboard to stop remembering things (particularly the time) or issue a warning, have you come across motherboards when it'll stop the thing POSTing?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom