• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help with Onkyo SR507

Coximus Prime

Hi All,

Recently moved into my flat and have set up the above with my 46G20 and Sky HD.

Being a complete noob at this stuff I just don't know which settings I need to use with each source? I'm currently using TV AllChStereo with both Sky and blu-ray but it's not the experience I'm after...rear speakers just simply play the same sound as the front and doesn't have the surround sound effect...e.g the sound of a bullet flying behind you!

Would anyone be kind enough to point me in the right direction please into what settings I need?

Been trying for days now and thought this will be the place to ask.

Any advice greatly welcome.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Most people use ProLOgic in order to either extract matrixed channels or create pseudo surround from 2 channel stereo sources. Discrete surround will not need any mode to be engaged if present. Discrete audio is whereby a channel is present for each and every speaker, hence the term 5.1 or 7.1. Audio has to be encoded with these discrete formats for your amp to decode them and then output them. All Blu-rays will effectively be encoded with at least Dolby Digital 5.1 and more probably also have one of the HD audio formats present too. SKY content may not all be encoded with Dolby 5.1 so you should leave your amp in the Dolby Pro Logic mode to create surround from audio that isn't encoded with DD 5.1 discrete audio. When a discrete audio format is present, the amp should use this rather than the Pro Logic mode. Don't expect to get the results you mention from audio lacking discrete surround. Matrix surround is closer to discrete surround than the AllChStereo mode you are using, but discrete surround is the superior and the format that will make bullets whisle around your head.

Last edited:

Coximus Prime

dante01 said:
Most people use ProLOgic in order to either extract matrixed channels or create pseudo surround from 2 channel stereo sources. Discrete surround will not need any mode to be engaged if present. Discrete audio is whereby a channel is present for each and every speaker, hence the term 5.1 or 7.1. Audio has to be encoded with these discrete formats for your amp to decode them and then output them. All Blu-rays will effectively be encoded with at least Dolby Digital 5.1 and more probably also have one of the HD audio formats present too. SKY content may not all be encoded with Dolby 5.1 so you should leave your amp in the Dolby Pro Logic mode to create surround from audio that isn't encoded with DD 5.1 discrete audio. When a discrete audio format is present, the amp should use this rather than the Pro Logic mode. Don't expect to get the results you mention from audio lacking discrete surround. Matrix surround is closer to discrete surround than the AllChStereo mode you are using, but discrete surround is the superior and the format that will make bullets whisle around your head.

Many thanks for your help Dante01 and your great advice.

Would the PCM:pLII Movie be the correct setting for Dolby Pro Logic mode?

logiciel

I just don't know which settings I need to use with each source
It isn't a matter of which settings anyone needs to use - it's about which settings sound best to you.
There isn't a "correct setting for Dolby Pro Logic mode" or any other mode - there's only the one you like best.
That's exactly the reason why you're given the choice of so many Listening Modes - to try them all.
What each does to each of the many types of source material should be explained in the manual.

Last edited:

Duke

If from a stereo source from TV/DVD etc - NEO:6 Cinema should give a decent surround effect from 2-channel sources.

Also try Dolby Pro Logic IIx Movie as again this will give a reasonable simulated surround with 2-channel sources.

All the "all channel stereo" will do is to give stereo in all 5 speakers. I think its still divided L/R front and L/R back and a combination of both for the centre, but the DPL IIx and Neo:6 do a decent job of dreating a surround effect so give 'em a go...

Coximus Prime

Duke said:
If from a stereo source from TV/DVD etc - NEO:6 Cinema should give a decent surround effect from 2-channel sources.

Also try Dolby Pro Logic IIx Movie as again this will give a reasonable simulated surround with 2-channel sources.

All the "all channel stereo" will do is to give stereo in all 5 speakers. I think its still divided L/R front and L/R back and a combination of both for the centre, but the DPL IIx and Neo:6 do a decent job of dreating a surround effect so give 'em a go...

Brilliant...thanks for the advice.

So most channels are broadcast stereo except for HD material where I let Dolby do all the work? Think it already defaults to DD when these channels are on?

Duke

Sorry, I think I may have gotten confused with another post - oops.

For 5.1 channel sources there are loads of choices, however with most multi-channel sources, "direct" would be your best bet, this lets the receiver decode into the 5.1 channels or whatever the source material is encoded with, so if it's stereo it will play stereo (then you can set the simulated surround modes as stated above) or Dolby Pro logic or whatever. At least to start with. Get used to that then have a play with some of the other settings - the manual is full of them...

logiciel

So most channels are broadcast stereo except for HD material where I let Dolby do all the work? Think it already defaults to DD when these channels are on?
Some programmes on some HD channels carry only stereo; the rest carry 5:1.
Press the Onky Display button and you'll see which it is for the current channel.
Then as Duke says play around with those Listening Modes - that's what they're there for.
I like NEO:6 Cinema and Pro Logic IIx Movie as Duke does, but that doesn't mean you will.
If you find one you specially like then you can set it as the default for that particular source, and change it later.

BigBrisy

i just got the same reciever today and am a little confused with the sky HD sound, i thought it would automatically pick up when you are watching something that is Dolby Digital, at the moment i am watching The Dark Knight on Sky Sci Fi/Hor HD and when i click the display button i would expect it to shown Dolby D 5.1 but i just get PCM fs: 48khz...hmmm whats wrong here???

Forgot to mention i have this connected by HDMI, also tried Optical but its the same outcome?

Last edited:

BigBrisy

Never mind guys, just sussed it, read somewhere SKy dont support DD through the HDMI any more so i put the optical back in and assigned it as the digital input..job done....:D

logiciel

It's forcing the optical to take precedence over the HDMI audio, by pressing Enter after making the assignment, that fixes it.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom