Help with Onkyo HT-S6305!! What do I need.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by itstime222, Nov 29, 2010.

1. itstime222

itstime222
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have just bought an Onkyo Surround Sound System model number HT-S6305(B) which I believe comes with the TX-SR508B reciever.

It was an all in one solution thing from Richer Sounds.

Now I have chased the wires into my walls in my lounge (was having it plastered anyway) so at the moment I have 4 speaker wires popping up in the corner of my Lounge (under the floor).

Surround sound is extremely new to me, we have always just used the tv speakers and sort of put up with it, however I really fancied getting a bit of a "set up" while I could.

What I wanted to know was how to connect it all up! As I understand it I plug everything into the reciever and then run one hdmi from there to the TV which transmits it all. So will I be okay to connect Sky HD, the PS3 up by HDMI? How would I go about connecting up a Wii??

Also I saw someone mention an Optical Cable, do I need one of those?? Do i need one from PS3 and Sky to the reciever or just one for Sky HD??

I take it that from there, when its all connected up its quite easy??

Any help much appreciated, I really dont have a clue what I'm doing!! :lease:

Cheers.

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    For the PS3, follow this GUIDE. You will need an HDMI connection only.

For the Sky+HD you have 2 choices. Run the HDMI through the receiver and use it as a switch or connect directly via HDMI to the TV thus giving you the option for using the TV speakers when you just want to watch normal TV without the receiver/speakers. Regardless of which option you take, you will need an additional digital audio cable between the Sky+HD box and the receiver. This can be either optical or digi-coax. The result is identical. I prefer digi-coax as it's a more robust connection. You don't need to spend more than a few quid on either. Fisual Pro for optical and Profigold for digi-coax are my recommendations. You need to set the Sky+HD box to output DOLBY D in the sound settings menu.

Re. the wii. I don't think your receiver supports video conversion i.e. conversion from analogue to HDMI. Therefore your best option is to connect direct to the TV and run the red/white audio to the receiver. Alternatively you could run the audio from the TV to cover both the TV tuner and wii. I would also recommend purchasing an optional component cable for the wii to give you a better picture.

To recap:

PS3 to Receiver via HDMI
    Sky+HD to TV via HDMI (Turn the TV volume down when you want to use the receiver/speakers)
    Sky+HD to Receiver via optical/digi-coax

Receiver to TV via HDMI
    wii to TV via composite/component
    wii to Receiver via red/white analogue audio

Optional - TV to receiver via audio cable as appropriate

3. itstime222

itstime222
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dave,

Thank you very much for your advice, thats perfect and exactly what I was after. So ill buy a digital co-ax online so I have that and also a red/white analogue leave and a component lead - then im all ready to go.

Also thanks for pointing me towards that guide. It seems stupid but I just thought you plugged it in and that was it!! I wouldnt of had a clue where to start with changing all the settings etc, so thats really good... now I do!!

Fear not I'll be back with more questions as soon as I get it all set up!

Many Thanks,

Alex.:)

4. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    No problem. Enjoy your new setup and if you have any questions, post away.

5. itstime222

itstime222
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dave,

I have just ordered the extra leads from Amazon and was thinking about the system - had a funny question for you..

Can I change the system so that it makes it sound like the speakers are further away?? The back right speaker is right next to the sofa whilst the back left is a little way away, will that make much difference??

Thanks again,

Alex.

6. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    It has an auto-mic setup so it will work out the distances from your listening position and adjust levels accordingly. You can also make manual adjustments.

7. itstime222

itstime222
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dave,

I have finally got round to putting the system up!! Only took 2 months!!

I was wondering if I could ask you a few more questions? Basically how do i go about setting the system up? I have connected sky HD to the Onkyo and the Ps3 (havent made the changes on that yet!!) but is there any standard changes I need to make?? And is there anything I have to do to sky to make it transmit in 5:1?? I cant seem to get it to say 5:1 on the reciever which I'm assuming it should...

As always any help MUCH apprecviated :D

8. itstime222

itstime222
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ps it doest seem to have an auto mic... unless im missing something..

9. runningsamevans

runningsamevans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi
    Haven't seen a reply and I have a similar system but the one with the passive Sub.
    - Plug your HDMI lead from SKY HD into the Cabl/Sat HDMI slot on the back of the Receiver.
    - Then run your optical (the one that looks like red light is coming from inside the lead!) from the slot on the back of your SKY box to the OPT in on the top left hand corner of the box. There is a flap on the back of the receiver housing so just click it past that.
    - Then you need to assign that Optical to run with your HDMI. Enter your set-up on your remote (make sure you press receiver or sometimes it doesn't work.
    - Scroll down to the digital audio, it's about three lines down from the top then move right onto the options on the right hand side of the screen where you will see all the inputs. Scroll down untill you get to the CABL/Sat and select that you can then select OPT 1 or OPT 2 which ever one you plugged the optical lead into in the back next to the CABL/Sat.
    - Now you need to go into your SKY menu and change the audio to Dolby D I think - haven't had sky for a while and then hey presto DD 5.1 through your amp.
    Make sure you set your HDMI throughput to auto further down in the menu and then if you dont wnat to watch everything in 5.1 you can just switch off the amp when CBL/SAT is selected and it will be run though the telly.
    - With regards to the audio setup - mine didnt come with one either. So.....after much digging I found out I needed to buy a SPL meter, or spend £££ on someone doing it for me. One like this is fine - Silverline 633937 Sound Level Meter: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
    Once you have a meter - or you borrow one you then sit in the seat you normally watch your films in make sure its quiet (impossible with my kids), set it to 'C' and Slow Weighting and point the meter at the coving on your celing in front of you at ear height (some say straight up, some at the speaker you doing it - but my ears can't face all the speakers at once!
    - Then go in to you set up and set the distances so they are all correct.
    - Then go to your individual levels - you should know you are there when you see all the numbers at 0 and the speaker names next to them.
    - Select your front left. you should now hear a test tone.
    - Increase the volume on the amp until your meter reads 75db it should be about volume level 60, it is on mine.
    - The front left speaker is now at what is called Reference Level. Now that is Uber loud but dont worry because when you reduce the volume it will all be in sync! Continue with the rest of the speakers exactly the same way. Voilà a home cinema set-up for you!
    Any ????? PM me and you can give me a ring and I can talk you through it!

Hope this helps

Sam

10. HTS6305

HTS6305
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have also just bought the HTS6305b. The setup with the PS3 is fine but setting up so that the sound of the TV comes out through the speakers has been difficult and I cant seem to get it to work. The amp is connected through an HDMI lead to the TV but I don't have SKY or SKY HD I just have normal digital terrestrial free view and was thinking this was the reason why I cant seem to get it to work. And Thank You for any help you can give.

also I am new to this so I don't really have much of a clue.