Help with Onkyo 606

I can't get my receiver to detect 5.1 or 7.1 from my PC from my optical cable since my PC went away for a few weeks, but I'm pretty sure it did it before. Does anyone have any idea why?

Thanks

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Sounds like something has happened to the PC, check the audio output configuration.

Sounds like something has happened to the PC, check the audio output configuration.

I've been playing about and if I open control panel>sound>spdif properties>supported formats and then test dts and/or DD it's plays sound through 5 separate channels, so I think the PC is ok.

It just wont detect 5.1 or 7.1 source input from games that support it, but it used to do.

Atomic Flange

pjking said:
It just wont detect 5.1 or 7.1 source input from games that support it, but it used to do.

is there not some settings within the game as to what sound it outputs?

is there not some settings within the game as to what sound it outputs?

Yeah there is. In Team fortress 2 you can select a whole host of stuff including 7.1 and 5.1, none of which produce any surround sound since my pc came back. It seems like it's all channel stereo

Atomic Flange

Have you tried Reinstalling the sound card?

Why did it go in for?

Have you tried Reinstalling the sound card?

Why did it go in for?

No sound card, just onboard sound on an asus p6t deluxev2

It went in for this

If i remember rightly, it never used to properly detect in windows, but once a game booted up that supported 5.1/7.1 my receiver used to detect and switch from whatever to multi-channel

Ok a further update. It appears my amp isn't auto detecting anything. When i used to watch stuff on sky that was broadcast in DD, my amp used to display Dolby D on it's screen, but when adverts that were in stereo came on, it would switch to stereo and then back to Dolby D once the program started back up. It's no longer doing this.

Is this a fault or a setting I've altered somewhere? If it's a fault I wont be buying an Onkyo again as it's already had both a new HDMI board and a new main board, which have both failed on separate occasions.... Thank god for Richer sounds 5 year insurance thing

Atomic Flange

Think there is a setting on the amp for setting it to Auto, HAve a look for something called "Fixed Mode" and see if that is set to off. I have just looked at the manual on line.

Bit sketchy sorry as i have a Denon and on that i have just checked and you can set eveything to Auto.

Sorry thats not very clear.

Think there is a setting on the amp for setting it to Auto, HAve a look for something called "Fixed Mode" and see if that is set to off. I have just looked at the manual on line.

Bit sketchy sorry as i have a Denon and on that i have just checked and you can set eveything to Auto.

Sorry thats not very clear.

Yeah, I've already checked what I believe to be the correct setting. If you set to cbl/sat input and then press the digital input button on the front of the amp it says cable:eek:pt2 (auto), which as far as I'm aware should auto detect, but alas, it's not :(

There maybe another setting somewhere else I'm missing though

Atomic Flange

just clutching at straws but maybe try a different HDMI input and assign the digital to that doubt it will work but maybe something has had a brain fart?

other than that i am as stumped as you.

just clutching at straws but maybe try a different HDMI input and assign the digital to that doubt it will work but maybe something has had a brain fart?

other than that i am as stumped as you.

I've sorted it. It was to do with the listening mode pre-sets. All I did was change a few on the gaming input to pure audio and now surround sound works in games :thumbsup:

A mod can close this now if they like :)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom