Help with Nikon D50 - menus

dixiedean

Standard Member
Hi peeps,

I've just bought a new D50, my first DSLR, but am having problems with the menu selections.

I want to change the settings on the " Optimize Image" in the shooting menu, but it is not highlighted in black ( it remains in that shady grey colour). There are a number of other options too that remain in grey, but the manual doesn't explain why, unless I am missing something. Anyone point me in the right direction please?

Many thanks

Dean

Steve N

Distinguished Member
Go to this link:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d50.htm

His D80 guide really got me going with my camera.
Down the page you will see a similar guide to the D50.

A quick re-read of your post suggest that you haven't keyed in the Full Menu option on your camera.

Steve N

Distinguished Member
Just checked and on my D80 you go into menu, then the Spanner, then CSM/Set-up. You then key on full menu -OK -Done. This should give you all your options instead of them being greyed out.
Hope this helps

Steve

dixiedean

Standard Member
Hi Steve,

I have tried your instructions, but it still doesn't show the full menu. On the D50 it is on the spanner, CSM, then simple or detailed setting. I've tried to change it to detailed, but nothing happens. I think I will give the dealer a buzz.

Thanks for your help

Dean

Grrrrr. They are closed today.

Steve N

Distinguished Member
Make sure you press OK after keying and also make sure you key on Done if this shows, otherwise it will just ignore your new setting onto detailed.

Steve N

Distinguished Member

dixiedean

Standard Member
Hi Steve,

I've d/l Kens guide thanks and pretty much what you said yourself. The menu is showing as detailed when I go into the CSM part, but is still on simple when I go out, even after keying in enter ( doesn't come up with DONE). No big deal at the moment, but a bit annoying. I guess I'll have to wait til the dealer opens :confused:

Cheers

Dean

ush flynn

just a quick breeze through but what is you program dial set on? change it to P or A or something rather than a scene mode or auto. It should open up more options

ush flynn

no worries mate, i used to work at jessops and this along with the nikon D lens having to be on apperture f22 on an auto camera were the most common things people used to come in with scratching their heads (and often demanding refunds!)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Cleer Audio speaker + HiFi Rose Streamer Reviews & Movie/TV Show talk
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom