Help With New TV Purchase

Some Guy

Hi all,

I currently have a Panasonic Plasma TV that's now a little long in the tooth (around 10yrs old) & is suffering from some burn in & white noise during bright pictures on occasion.

I've had a look through the various threads that Dodgexander has put together, which has been an enormous help, but I thought I'd ask here as well for good measure.

I can accommodate up to a 55" screen. In terms of viewing, approx 4m from the TV to a sofa which is facing the TV directly (approx 95% of all viewing like this).

I'm watching SD/HD only (so no UHD) via Virgin/Netflix/Disney+ & watch sport as well, the room is pretty bright & the TV will be mounted on the wall for the time being.

I should probably add that sound & smart TV functions are of little concern & that I need 3 HDMI connections.

My budget is, ideally, around the £500 mark but I could probably creep up to £700-ish for the right deal/TV/value for money.

Hopefully that provides a suitable overview of my requirements etc, but please let me know if I've missed anything.

Any suggestions welcomed!

Last edited:

vickster

Distinguished Member
Look in the guide at the VA models.Sony and Phillips tend to handle motion better for sport.
Guessing the 55XH9005 too much still at £769

There’s one a bit cheaper too, the XH8196

tvdavid

I was going say them tvs above as well.

Some Guy

Look in the guide at the VA models.Sony and Phillips tend to handle motion better for sport.
Guessing the 55XH9005 too much still at £769

There’s one a bit cheaper too, the XH8196

Many thanks @vickster & @tvdavid I'm trying to avoid too much budget creep, so the XH9005 is probably pushing it a little however, I'll have a look at both regardless.

Dodgexander

In 2011 the starting price for a 42" Panasonic plasma was about $600 so spending £500 now on a TV when generally the cost of new technology has pushed your value for money down now, compared to then isn't really a good idea.

It would probably be best to save up a bit more money if you can and at least go for a mid tier TV in the guide like the Sony XH9005. This is especially true if you want to take advantage of modern technology and view shows in HDR on Disney+ and Netflix.

You may have read my guide about HDR already, but HDR is difficult to avoid nowadays, so if you buy a cheaper TV that will accept the signal, but can't display it properly you'll get problems. A TV like the Sony XH9005 won't be perfect, but it will be a whole lot better at this than something that you can buy for £500.

I know you said you predominantly will watch in HD, but already you've mentioned Disney+ which will unavoidably stream in 4k and HDR by default with any new TV, regardless of how well they can display it.

Sport is also a factor too, for instance the current football European championship is streamed 4k HDR via iPlayer.

Some Guy

Thanks very much @Dodgexander, really helpful to get your thoughts/insights.

Out of curiosity, would you suggest that I should be looking at something like the Sony 55XH9505 as a 'minimum' standard given that my budget seems unlikely to get me what I want at this point in time?

Some Guy

Just seen a TV in my guide is currently £500 at Costco. You'll need a membership but the Hisense 55U8Q for that price is astonishing value and will give you good HDR for very little money.
I'll go & have a look at that now, thank you.

Any concerns/issues with this model? I know that HiSense appear to be offering ridiculous value for money, generally, I presume this doesn't come at the expense of reliability & such?

Dodgexander

I'll go & have a look at that now, thank you.

Any concerns/issues with this model? I know that HiSense appear to be offering ridiculous value for money, generally, I presume this doesn't come at the expense of reliability & such?
The main drawbacks to this TV are 1. The smart tv is pretty basic. All UK catch-up apps are there but you'll need to use an external smart stick or box for Disney, for example. 2. There's a known issue where you can see motion blur or smearing in certain scenes. It's the kind of thing that once you notice it, you can't un-notice, but some people are bothered by it more than others.

Every TV has it's issues though, none is perfect.

The problem is, the alternatives to the U8Q itself cost a lot more money. The TV can hold it's own with picture quality against even the Sony XH9505 so when even the XH9005 is more expensive it's really hard to look past it.

Also, I forgot to mention it but make sure you're aware that LCD TVs have narrow viewing angles, particularly the ones mentioned in this thread. They are not like plasma TVs and can be viewed at any angle without it affecting picture quality.

Some Guy

Thanks for elaborating. The Smart TV element is fine, I have other means for this task so no concerns there.

The narrow viewing angle should be fine too, as almost all of the viewing is done straight on so the angle shouldn't be a concern.

The motion blur is certainly a concern though, presumably this is just a 'feature' of the HiSense panels? Perhaps I should just pick one up & see how I get on with the highlighted issues in the hope that all will be ok as the features/performance seem to be high level for the price.

Dodgexander

Its not exclusive to Hisense, but the U8Q has it particularly bad. All LCD TVs suffer from motion blur to a degree but the U8Q has a quirk where its particular bad in certain content.

You could of course look at alternative TVs at this price, but they'll be worse TVs in practically every area. Since its such a good deal I'd consider buying the TV to give it a go, Costco are good with returns if it doesn't work out.

Some Guy

Dammit, now out of stock, they didn't last long at all.

So, I think it's fair to say that a budget of £500 won't really provide me with much of an improvement/upgrade over my current TV.

Based on your incredibly handy list, I'd be looking at the Sony XH9505 as a direct competitor to the HiSense, but at almost twice the price (£1k approx).

Otherwise there seems to be an issue with HDR handling across the mid/lower tiers, so they might not be the best investment?

I'm rambling a little at this stage, so my apologies, just trying to figure out where to go...

Madao

It might go lower, but I'm not seeing discounts on the 55" 9505 so far. The 65 was on sale at costco the other week for £999 but quickly sold out. I'm patient, I can afford to wait for it to go lower and I can afford for the 9505 to 'sell out' in which case I'd be waiting until next year to try and get a 2021 model for cheap. The U8Q is a great price, but the motion blur issues absolutely kill it for me, it would drive me mad.

Dodgexander

Otherwise there seems to be an issue with HDR handling across the mid/lower tiers, so they might not be the best investment?
This is generally the issue when buying nowadays unfortunately. Perhaps consider a refurb XH9505?

The XH9005 will be a lot better than cheaper TVs with HDR, but still falls short because it doesn't get too bright. Will be okay in some titles and poor in others. Similar kind of story with the Hisense U7Q.

Some Guy

Thanks again @Madao & Dodgexander.

So, given the HDR limitations that have been highlighted, I'm looking through the High Tier recommendations in Dodgexander's guide.

Of those listed, I can probably stretch to either the Sony 55XH9505 (£875.00) or the Samsung 55Q80T (£899.00).

Is there a recommendation/preference for either of these?

Some Guy

Perfect, the Sony is clearly a step up on the Samsung so that's good to know.

I did look at the OLED's, but they're probably beyond my means at present with prices in the £1k-£1.1k region upon checking. So, looks like the Sony 9505 might the way to go....

vickster

Distinguished Member
I’d snap it up at £875, assuming 5 year warranty. Stocks are running short as its being replaced

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom