1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with new TV and AV Reciever plz

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by focuszetec, Dec 30, 2002.

1. focuszetec

focuszetec

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I'm out to buy a new 32" TV and AV-Reciever Setup.

I've decided I want to keep it all Panasonic, just to look good and simplify remotes etc.... but mainly because my brother works for them and can get this all quite cheap.

Firstly, the TV: there are two options. This 32" Tau Nicam model: LINK TO TX32PL10

or

LINK TO TX32PB50.

Now, I want the latter set because it is much better (picture wise) than the Nicam model thanks to advanced 100Hz and progressive scan. The fact that it comes with Dolby Digital is merely an added bonus.

BUT my local AV store tells me that I will have problems if I try to use an AV reciever with a TV that already has a Dolby Digital decoder inside it (Like the Tx32PB50 has) and that I should use a Nicam TV. But as I said, the Nicam TV (TX32PL10) is not half as good picture-wise. Is this true?

Secondly, the reciever: I'm looking at this: LINK TO SA-XR10

But, HELP! What exactly connects to what? The reciever I'm looking at has 3 video inputs and 2 audio inputs, along with 3 digital inputs (2 optical/1 coaxial). Now, what connects to the video inputs? I thought the reciever was only for sound?

I take it there will be audio inputs from the Sky Digital Box and Nicam VCR, which both have stereo out (Phono Sockets). I presume a DVD player will connect through one of the digital inputs.

Also, what is 6ch discrete inputs?

Cheers,

Dave:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    In a word...NO !!

3. Tejpal

Tejpal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the two tv sets will use the same tubes, except that the TX32PB50 is more expensive because of the dolby digital facilities within and progressive scan etc...
    The Dolby digital/DTS will be useless if you are going to add an HC amp.

I would personally save myself some money, and get a less facilities that the TX32PB50 holds and buy the 32PL10.

I would also stay away from the panasonic receiver and get a full size receiver. If you have a budget of Over £300, you can easily get a receiver that would kick the Panasonic's ass.

for example, the marantz 5300

4. focuszetec

focuszetec

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LDR - thats what I thought. Surley I can just turn off the sound on the TV, so its decoder is "redundant" and just use it for pictures. I assume all my other equipment would have to be connected to the reciever then?

Cheers mate,

Dave

5. focuszetec

focuszetec

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see what you're saying mate, but reviews in WHAT TV AND VIDEO gave the picture quality on the TX32PL10 8/10 and gave it 10/10 on the TX32PB50. I'm not worried about spending the extra £200.

I'm not an audio enthusiast, so probably wouldn't notice the difference between a £300 system and a £1000 system. I know Panasonic dont make the best amps, but I can get this dirt cheap. Panasonic make some full-size recievers too, with mosfet technology etc. But I like the appearance of this slimline one.

Dave :)

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Some amps/receivers have 6ch Inputs (referred to as 5.1 external decoder inputs).Some Denons have 7.1 inputs. It´s so you can use an external decoder/processor or a dvd player that has onboard decoding for Dolby Digital/DTS and the relevant 5.1 analogue outputs.

They are also used to connect a Dvd Audio/SACD player.

7. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Ok..from what I can see from their specs both TV's have 100Hz scanning anyway..if you can afford the extra £200 then go for it..cos in a few years it'll make a cracking 2nd set when you upgrade again..with the bonus of having DD/DTS built in...

The amp in my opinion is a no-no tho..although you may not notice the sound difference, the connection possibilites are not great..

8. focuszetec

focuszetec

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm, i know it sounds like I'm not taking any of you Guys' advice on board, but I am and I agree.

Its just, I dont want a massive rectangular reciever box sitting in my sitting room and I like the look of this set, in fact I think its stunning. to give you an idea of how much I appreciate audio, I have had a 28" Panasonic Dolby Pro Logic TV for 5 years now. Not once has the on screen volume slider been more than an inch from the bottom. I know there is bags more voluma in this set, but its simply not needed. This is why I am pretty confident that the sound from this little reciever will more than satisfy me.

As for connections, all I have to connect is a Sky Box, VCR and (in the future) a DVD Player (to match amp), so I dont need bags of connections.

Dave

9. nam

nam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi- I'm also interested in this receiver due to it's looks- but am also interested in performance- how is it?

How have you connected up Sky Digibox/VCR?

Thanks.