1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with new system please

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by newstuart, Jun 16, 2005.

1. newstuart

newstuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    ive just pinched the sound and graphics card from my pc to put in a new one ive built.After this i re-formatted and re-installed mce 2005 on the old pc with a view to using the onboard audio for a bedroom based system without a sound card.

problem 1.
    I now cant gt any sound out of it at all when the stereo is connected to an amp,i just get an errer message saying no sound card installed, any ideas ?
    problem 2
    the pc has 2 hardrives in it, one with operating system other with movies, when i try to open the movie one the system freezes then says its not responding, have i missed something on the install here ? ive checked its wired up and can hear it whirring away also

2. Slinkoff

Slinkoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    you'll still need drivers for onboard sound, check in device manager and it will probably have a question mark over an audio controller. Find the correct driver and install and it should work.

For the harddrive, again, you may need motherboard/chipset drivers so that your particular flavour of motherboard can communicate correctly with IDE bridges and whatnot.

Sounds like you've rebuilt your system but forgone the motherboard driver install. Check to see if you've still got the CD that came with your motherboard. If not, check the manufacturers website.

3. newstuart

newstuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    ill check it out thanks, to be honest all i did was insert the mce disc and reinstalled so think you mightt be right, any idea on how to re-do the motherboard from scratch as if i put the motherboard disc in as it is now it says everything is installed and working ,obviously it isnt

4. Slinkoff

Slinkoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    quite often after installing motherboard drivers windows will detect stuff it didn't know it had. If you have an athlon system you'll probably be looking for the Via 4in1 drivers.